30451: Drive clone produces "not initialized" destination drive

7 replies [Last post]
Jeff Weinstein
Beginner

I have used the Acronis stand alone recovery CD to clone a drive with bad blocks. After the cloning completes the destination drive won't boot and is listed as "not initialized". Here are the details:

Source Drive: 1TB seagate
Destination Drive: 2TB seagate

1) Boot the standalone recovery disk
2) Start drive clone operation using default automatic settings
3) Source drive gets some read errors at the end of the cloning
4) I select "Ignore All"
5) A couple of minutes go by, and another read error dialog comes up
6) I select "Ignore All" again
7) Cloning finishes
8) Without rebooting, I select cloning again and verify that the destination drive is displayed with the correct partitions (1 large partition with about 600GB of data)
9) Quit out of second cloning operation before it actually does any cloning
10) Reboot again with the recover CD
11) Start clone operation again to verify the partitions on the destination drive, and notice that rather than showing the partition layout, it shows the disk as "Not initialized".

Note that in steps 8 and 11 I just used the setup steps of the clone tool to verify the partition layout of the drive. I did not actually start cloning.

The destination is unable to boot. The bios says that it can't find an operating system.

The source drive is able to boot, so the critical blocks holding mbr, partition table, operating system, etc are not bad on the source drive.

It seems like the mbr or some other critical data is not being written to the destination drive, even though the acronis clone tool says the cloning is successful and actually shows the partition before rebooting.

Can anyone provide any suggestions for how I may be able to get the clone to work?

Thanks!

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Jeff,

After the clone is complete, do not restart a clone operation:
- remove the original drive, put the clone at the same spot, try to boot,
- if it doesn't boot, reboot on the Windows Installation DVD, choose Install, Repair Computer, and repair the startup (this might take a couple of passes, with a reboot in between)

If this doesn't work,
- restart the computer on the Acronis CD, click add new disk and select your target disk (make sure you select the right disk!),
- choose clone, manual method. This will allow you to take advantage of your bigger size by indicating how to resize the original partition,
- perform the clone, and go back to the instructions above.

If this doesn't work, instead of doing a clone, do a disk and partition backup, put the new disk in the computer where the old disk was, restore that backup on your new disk.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

Jeff Weinstein
Beginner

Thanks for your suggestions, but unfortunately none of them worked. Both methods of cloning produced a drive without a valid mbr/partition table.

The backup method created a 600GB backup file, but when I transfer it to another computer and load it into the Acronis backup software, all I see is the top node "C:" and nothing below it.

Any other suggestions?

--Jeff

Anton
Anton's picture
Forum Star

Hello Jeff and Pat,

Thank you for posting and your help Pat.

Jeff, while we are working on this issue through our Support team, could you get back to me with the following diagnostic information please.

1. Acronis system report collected using the bootable media from the original source machine.

2. Acronis system report from the unbootable machine after you have performed a recovery operation.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.

Anton Deev

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base and Video Tutorials.

Check our Corporate and Consumer Handbooks and Online Documentation for help on managing your account, products and support.

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Jeff Weinstein
Beginner

Thanks Anton, I have sent you the info in a PM.

--Jeff

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Jeff,
Another option would be to do the manual clone and use the "As is" move method. You can change partition sizes later.
Install the target disk inside the computer.
Install the old source disk in another location--such as an external enclosure.

1. Boot from the TI Rescue CD
2. Use the "Add new disk" option and delete the partitions off the 2 TB botched clone. You want the space on the 2TB disk to be unallocated.
3. Still booted from the TI Rescue CD, use the Manual Clone with the "As is" move method.
4. After the cloning procedure is complete.
5. Shutdown and disconnect the source disk
6. First boot after cloning should be with only the new 2tb attached.
7. If all successful, post a screen capture of your Windows Disk Management graphical view and we can suggest methods on how to expand your disk into the unallocated space.

Jeff Weinstein
Beginner

Thanks Grover. That is exactly what I did last night. The "As is" clone operation failed when trying to copy the MBR. I have attached the log from the failed clone operation if you would like to see it.

AttachmentSize
clone.log 2.36 KB
GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Not sure this would help but
do you have an *.tib backup?
If yes, boot from the CD and do a single restore of only the tract0/mbr option.

If Windows 7
Another possibility might be to run chkdsk on the 1tb to correct the errors and then use the Windows installation disk to do a repair (maybe several repairs) to make the 1 tb disk bootable and then repeat the clone.

Ultimately, you may have to do a fresh install of Windows on the 2tb andconsider the 1 tb as a data disk and just copy files only from the disk.