30871: ATIH 2012 TRIAL

4 replies [Last post]
Tim767
Beginner

I am considering buying ATIH 2012 4/3/2012. I have one question about it, first.

It APPEARS that ATIH 2012 can do file level backups. It can. But how do you run the same backup again to pick up any new or changed files in the original set? From what I see, I have to go through and select all the files all over again because ATIH 2012 cannot remember the files and folders I selected before. Any file level backup program I have ever used stores that info in a catalog so all I have to do is run the backup again and any files added to a folder or any files that have changed will be backed up.

Am I missing something, here?

Thanks, I will wait for a reply before buying this new version.

Tim

Tim

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

I think you are missing something here. When you create a backup task, however you set it up, that's how it runs. E.g., if you set up a task that backups up the My documents directory and subdirectories, that's what it backups up every time it turns. If you have the task set up to do incs or diffs, then when it runs it captures changed sectors since the last full, inc or diff.

Consider:
http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/index.html

Be part of the discussion; Post your objective product views on Amazon and other sites.
Reading works. Get the User Guide at http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/

Tim767
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I didn't explain myself too well, last night, Scott. I was tired and wasn't thinking clearly. Here's what I found:

ATIH 2012 can, indeed, do a file level backup. And, as long as you don't recover another disk image in the meantime, it will continue to run that backup each time you run it. However, if I recover a different Image of the entire C: drive, even though those Office files are on that Image, too, the only options I will have with the file level backup I made of those Office files is to Recover them. If I then want to make a backup of those Office files again, I will have to go through and reselect all the files and folders that I had in the previous file level backup (and hope I didn't forget some files). Acronis does not save the location information in a catalog file somewhere so the program "remembers" what files belong to that set.

I hope I explained myself a little better, today.

Incidentally, I did buy ATIH 2012, today.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

You mean if you restore the drive and overwrite programs, including ati and its tasks? IF you are restoring the same tasks set up the same way, they will remain the same. If you restore tasks to some prior iteration, then you should expect the task to be that iteration. You can also export task settings and then import them. So you could save them to a disk that doesn't get restored with ati and then import them after restore.

Be part of the discussion; Post your objective product views on Amazon and other sites.
Reading works. Get the User Guide at http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Under the "Other types" backup is the "File Backup" selection option.

Have you tried using the custom category options within the "Files Backup" option?

http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/ATIH2012/#7938.html

http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/ATIH2012/#17064.html

Within the "file backup" , the user has the option to create "Data Categories" and this custom category can have a user assigned category name and user selected folder and/or custom file types with the option to include all or exclude the designated file type.

This is part of the backup task so if such a task were created and subsequently restored as part of a backup, these custom categories should be part of the restored task and the task should be able to be rerun--same as before--but the task would begin anew at the beginning.

1. If you restore an old backup, Acronis does not know about any newer backups which were created prior to the restore. Either before or after the restores, if you want to keep these backups, they should be moved into another folder where TrueImage is not aware of their presence and will become confused once when it tries to create a backup file whose name already exists. My suggestion would be to move the old backup files to another location and start at the beginning again but the special categories should be available for reuse.

Note: in working with these custom categories, I have found that you must open and close the program frequently to see the changes until you get the categories set. Once you have the categories created with the file types, then you can checkmark which category is to be included in the backup and save the task as a normal backup file only task. The custom categories can be renamed or deleted or edited for file types, etc. but the changes may not show up until a task restart.

Personally, all my backups are "disk & partition" backups which normally includes everything anyway. I find no need for files only trueimage backups.