34624: TI Home 2012 - Can't delete old backup tasks

8 replies [Last post]
kgee
Forum Member

I have always been confused by the way TI 2012 seems to keep backup tasks and backup files linked, which is a completey different concept to earlier versions e.g. TI 11 Home where tasks could be managed separately from the images that had been created - which was always so straightforward.
This has given rise to the following problem which any help would be appreciated.
I have several PCs which I backup to a portable USB hard drive - the problem is that each PC now shows all the backup tasks I've ever created even though most are nothing to do with an individual PC
The problem has really become frustrating now since I've been setting up two new PCs on a completely separate network where I planned to setup a backup strategy to a network drive and I made the mistake of using my portable USB drive to do a one off backup on one of the PCs
Now, when I load TI2012 I see all the unrelated backup tasks which presumably have been taken from the USB drive even though none are anything to do with that PC and TI2012 won't let me delete them !!
This is even with the USB drive disconnected.
Can anyone please explain why this has been designed this way and why each PC doesn't just hold the details of the backup tasks that were created on it.
And I guess more importantly, how can I get rid of all these unrelated tasks without uninstalling the whole package and reinstalling it again which is completely unacceptable as the same thing is likely to happen again.
Thanks

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

You can turn off the "Search for Backups on Startup" and the remove the task(s) from your list either individually or wholesale. To remove the task individually, click on the gear icon that appears on the right hand side of the highlighted task, and select "more", not "delete", and then select "remove from the list". When you select "delete" instead of "remove from the list", you are telling Acronis to delete the backup file(s) as well as the task. If you select "remove from the list", you are only removing the task, not trying to delete a backup file that does not exist if the file is on a drive that is not connected at that time. I assume the errors you get when trying to "delete" the task instead of" removing the task from the list" are related to the destination of the files not being present when trying to do the "delete". Remember, "delete" means to remove the task and the backup file(s), and "remove from list" only deletes the task, and leaves the backup files in place (if they exist).

What I tell my friends:
It's not a problem with your computer, it's a short circuit between the chair and the keyboard!
What I tell my customers:
Whatever the problem is, we can fix it.

kgee
Forum Member

Many thanks for that - that makes sense now and I can indeed delete the tasks from the list that don't relate to that system.
Strange thing is where does it get that information from ? Looks like it built the list of tasks when I plugged the USB drive in from backups previously taken ?
Just regarding your comment about turning off "search for backups on startup" where is that parameter set ? don't see it in options anywhere.
Thanks again

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

When you are on the Backup and Recovery tab, there is a button next to Recover that looks like two gears. If there is at least one task in the list, you can click it and a menu appears that has "Search for backups at startup" listed, click it and it will no longer do that. If you do not have any tasks, you will either have to click the gear button and have it update the backup list (once again repopulating your list with unwanted backups) or create a dummy task and save it for later to get to the full menu. You could delete the dummy task after that.

What I tell my friends:
It's not a problem with your computer, it's a short circuit between the chair and the keyboard!

kgee
Forum Member

Ok, thanks once again.
Yes, it's all much clearer now and I see the way it's working - only problem is I dont see the "search for backups at startup" still.
It's not possible I have an old build - this one is 6131
When I access the the drop down menu you refer to all I get is :

Explore all backups
Validate........
Update backup list
Remove from the list....... which also has a sub menu

Anyway, thanks for the info, even if I dont get to the bottom of this I've got a good workaround.

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Yes your build is not current. The current build is 7133, and it does indeed have the item you are referring to. You may be able to edit the registry to remove the option to check at startup, but you would be better off installing 7133. Be sure you have a full disk backup before starting the install of 7133, in case something goes wrong.

What I tell my friends:

kgee
Forum Member

Well, after many hours of trying to install version 7133 ( after blue screens / Win7 not seeing TI2012 as an installed program + many other unexplainable errors ) I finally decided to use the TI2012 removal program which probably has wiped evrything out including all my previously saved backup tasks ! I noted from the knowledge base article 24545 that a manual deletion of some registry key was necessary - which I did but don't really understand why - in fact I found 1 entry with a "vidsflt" which it suggested removing which I did before restarting the machine.
I then installed version 7133 afresh from a new download file from the Acronis website and all at that point seemed stable apart from some issues opening Microsft Word/ Excel on the first occasion ( talking about a download installer problem ) which now seems to have gone away after following instructions. All very worrying though !
On opening the new version of TI2012 it seemed to find all the previously created backup files on the attached USB drive but I believe the backup jobs themselves must have been deleted because the "list" only showed an option to "recover" not "backup now".
I have now started to create and run some test jobs before trying to rebuild the whole backup strategy again which I've lost but find the backup times very much longer than before when I was using 6131.
For example a full backup / validation of my C&D partition used to take about 30min and produce a tib file of about 38gb - now having written what I believe is the same type of job it takes just over an hour !
As you can imagine I am at the point where I am considering cutting losses here and restoring the machine back to a stable point before I started this nightmare journey or do you ( or any other expert users ) think I might have done something wrong that could be rectified.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Sorry about all the problems with the 7133 build install. If the upgrade had gone smoothly, you would not have lost your backup tasks, but the 2012 cleanup utility will sure get rid of them. It is always a good idea to recreate new task when you upgrade to a new version, as it seems the old tasks sometimes do not work properly after an upgrade or version change. In the future though, you can export your tasks before a complete un-install, clean, and re-install, then import the tasks back.
When ATIH scan for backup files, if there are no tasks associated with the backup files, you are correct, there will only be a recovery option when they get re-populated. You can click the gear icon to the right of the backup task for more options.
As far as the backups taking longer, there could be some difference between the versions, but I can't answer that, as I don't know if that information. Your backup settings may be different in the task you created in 7133 vs. the task created in 6133, or you may be correct that Acronis has changed the behaviuor between versions. Are the backup file (.tib) sizes similar from the 6133 build as compared to the 7133 build, using the same backup settings?

What I tell my friends:

kgee
Forum Member

Yes, I guess you are right there might be a few variables which I can't determine now since the previous backup tasks have been deleted so I can't double check them. I am only going on the time of file creation and filesize on the USB drive compared with the time I know the jobs were scheduled. I suppose it's entirely possible that things like "performance", "compression" and indeed whether I'd had the "validate after creation" flag set. All these - particularly the validate after creation would certainly affect what I am seeing now.
I know I did have major problems with the background "once a month" validate process when I first installed TI2012 because it kept hanging the machine at random times - particularly when it had been in sleep mode. Thats when I think I must have disabled it. Not sure whether that works better in this build ??
I also note your tip to export the tasks - will have a look at that - should save some time if I run into problems again.
My general strategy for data was to do differential backups with a new full one every 7 days and run the job once a day. The overall data is about 16gb. The problem I've noticed in these latest tests though is that the differential tib file is v small but the backup has still taken a long time because I suspect the validation routine has to go through the original full backup as well.
I guess that's fine for minimising data storage but it still means the machine is tied up for about 20min largely doing validation during which time it's not very usable.
Anyway, thanks again for all your help. I think I'll persevere with this build and will try to think of some more creative scheduling ideas.
Thanks