35004: Backup dual boot system

3 replies [Last post]
Mickr
Beginner

What is the correct way to backup a dual boot system, I have win7 and win 8 on one drive both in there own sections C; and D; . I have installed acronis on both sectors and depending what sector I am in c: could be win7 or win 8 and a system reserve sector. Do you have to back up the complete drive from one sector or can you back up win7 and win8 sections seperatly. The reason i ask is i dont want to damage the boot sector, which I beleave can happen if you do it wrong

Mickr

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

You can backup all the partitions separately, but upon restore, you would need to restore each partition in the original order and postition, also the MBR/boot track as well as the disk signature. My suggestion would be to do a full disk based backup of the entire system, as well as the individual partitions. This would give you some redundency as well as flexiblity in your backups. It should not matter which OS you use to do the backup from. You could also do the backup from the Rescue Media CD/DVD/USB Flash drive, and eliminate Windows from the procedure.

What I tell my friends:
It's not a problem with your computer, it's a short circuit between the chair and the keyboard!
What I tell my Customers:
Whatever the problem is, we can fix it.

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

James F wrote:
My suggestion would be to do a full disk based backup of the entire system

I endorse James' suggestion. Create a full disk backup, selecting the checkbox for the entire disk (not just individual partitions). That ensures that you have everything you need, and you won't need to understand how the disk is laid out with possible hidden partitions. A full disk backup captures everything, and is the simplest, safest backup method.

You can also supplement that with more frequent backups of individual partitions, if you like.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

Mickr
Beginner

thanks for that guys

Mickr