35015: Confused about the differences in 2012 and 2013

12 replies [Last post]
William Hull
Beginner

I have Acronis True Image 2012 and have received the upgrade notice for 2013. I'm confused though.... The web page says that "Disk Imaging" is a new feature. So what is the difference between a full system backup and a Disk Image? Also the web page talks about Non-Stop backup. I'm assuming that this means that you would have a second hard drive or an external hard drive that you'd be backing up to and that it would be connected all the time, correct?

Note that I don't use Sync through Acronis. I have a 25 GB Skydrive that I have my important files stored on and I do periodic backups after "Patch Tuesdays" to backup my whole system, including the OS so I'm curious how Disk Imaging and Nonstop Backup differ from the 2012 version.

Thanks.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

William,

Aside from marketing language differences, the benefits of 2013 are falling into 2 buckets. One is software infrastructure improvements (installation, archive management, drivers, stability, in particular), and some notable new features (Windows 8 support, sync extended to mobile in particular).
Although the software infrastructure is optimized in 2013, the core functionality for imaging is identical.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

Mark T.
Beginner

So let me be clear in asking this question because I think mine is the same...

The "New" "Disk Imaging" that is being promoted on the website is a blatent lie and false advertising. There is no new feature, just some crazy word changing. I examined the User Manual and did not find Disk Imaging listed in a single location as well. If I'm wrong, say so and point me to the documentation which describes it and how to use it.

You know I upgraded from 2011 and I had the Plus Pack to just the 2012 with free upgrade to 2013. So what I have to show for it really is I lost the Plus Pack capability. I was really hoping Acronis would just finally include the Plus Pack (built in) since there really isn't any true NEW features that matter to people who just use the software to keep thier data backed up. Cloud support was there in 2011, FTP back as well, and why would I need to access data in the cloud via a smart phone? And Windoze 8 will never be on my computer, I still think it will be a flop but that is just my opinion, I'm sure someone will like it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I truly invite possitive feedback as maybe I've overlooked some major change or advantage and if I overlooked it, I'm certain others have as well.

My System:
Windoze 7, 24GB RAM, 256GB SSD (m4), 128GB SSD (OCZ), 2TB HD.
8TB NAS, 4TB NAS
2TB NAS (remote storage in parents house across the country)

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Mark T. wrote:

The "New" "Disk Imaging" that is being promoted on the website is a blatent lie and false advertising.

You lower the tone and colour your observations with a negative lens when you begin a post with such accusations. Many people on the Internet like to throw around the "lie" word, when it may just be a difference of terminology or opinion. Just because something doesn't turn out the way one expected, or that you see things differently, doesn't mean that the other party lied.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

Mark T.
Beginner

tuttle wrote:
Mark T. wrote:

The "New" "Disk Imaging" that is being promoted on the website is a blatent lie and false advertising.

You lower the tone and colour your observations with a negative lens when you begin a post with such accusations. Many people on the Internet like to throw around the "lie" word, when it may just be a difference of terminology or opinion. Just because something doesn't turn out the way one expected, or that you see things differently, doesn't mean that the other party lied.

[quote=tuttle]

So you are saying there is a "New" Disk Imaging feature? I do not toss around the word "lie", but please correct me if I'm wrong as I'd be happy to be wrong in this case. As I see it, if the new feature doesn't exist in the software (not listed as an option), it's not referenced anywhere in the user manual, posting #2 of this thread from apparently an Acronis employee (I could be wrong here) states there was no new functionality added, and it's only referenced on the Acronis marketing website, then maybe the marketing department has it wrong and this should be removed.

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

You miss my point. Just because you see something differently, doesn't mean that Acronis lied. "Lie" is a strong word that is used as an accusation all too frequently on the Internet.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Mark et al. have a point that the web site indicates Disk Imaging and Non-Stop backup as new features and they are not new. I can only imagine this is a web site graphics error. Maybe they are improved, but definitely not new...

AttachmentSize
newfeatures.jpg 73.2 KB

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Yep, I agree about that. My point was not with that specific issue, but with the accusatory term "lie". A mistake isn't necessarily a lie.

Mark T.
Beginner

It truly looks like a marketing ploy to me. I'm not saying all of Acronis is misleading, just the marketing group.

But sure, it could have been an honest mistake, I will consed to that.

So I got my answer I think, nothing really new, maybe Windoze 8 compatibility but I don't see anything else really to warrant upgrading from 2011 to 2013. If I'm missing something major here I would appreciate the correction.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Mark,

The other thing added to 2013 is the ability to sync to mobiles devices. Of course, other tools do that as well, but it is worth noting.

Aside from that, if 2012 is working just fine for you, you wouldn't see benefits to upgrade to 2013. If you encounter bugs, however, there is a strong chance that 2013 has integrated the fix.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

I think the Marketing Department might have intended 'new' to mean 'updated' or 'revamped' as the developers have tried to make the two items marked as new to be more robust.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

Mark T.
Beginner

Thank you for all your comments.

Even though I received a free upgrade to 2013 I plan to stick with 2012 for a few months until the bugs are worked out and then upgrade. I can hope there have been speed improvements or some additional compatability features.

-Mark

Janus Johansen
Beginner

Quick question regarding the 2013 version.

Do you know if Intel raid is supported in the standard bootable image for 2013, or is it still the case that I wont be able to actually restore?