35048: Drive clone questions in 2013

8 replies [Last post]
Lancorp Networks
Beginner

Just downloaded and installed the trial version. Created a USB boot drive and booted on a new Dell workstation with dual, identical Samsung 830 SSD drives (SATA 0 and SATA 1 channels).

I realize the trial won't perform a clone, but it does allow me to go through all the steps up to "START".

When I start True Image 2013, it says there is only ONE drive. If I change the 2nd Samsung 830 to any other drive, it sees both drives. If I put the SAM 830 back in, it sees only one drive. Why does it see two identical model drives as one drive only? The Dell BIOS sees both SSD's fine.

Second, I am mainly interested in the clone functionality of 2013. I want to create a USB boot drive to run 2013. Can I use this utility on multiple computers without issue? Does the bootalble 2013 utility lock itself in some way to one PC?

Looking forward to purchasing, but need to make sure I can use it as a tool on multiple computers.

Thanks.

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

The bootable Recovery Media, either on CD-R or USB flash drive, is independent of computer. It can be run on any computer.

My best advice for the future: Do not Clone! Instead, do one extra step and create a full disk Backup to an external drive. If ever you need to return to that image state, you would do a full disk Restore/Recovery.

There is rarely a need to Clone. Really, Backup is safer and more flexible. Many users encounter problems Cloning which they would not have if they has instead used Backup.

1. Don't use Clone. Do a full disk Backup, selecting the entire disk, and a Restore. The end result will be the same as Clone, but with many advantages.

2. Check out the many user guides and tutorials in the left column of this forum, particularly ATIH 2012 - Getting Started and Grover's True Image Guides which are illustrated with step-by-step screenshots.

A full disk backup, selecting the disk checkbox rather than individual partitions, includes everything. It includes everything that a clone would include.

The difference is that while a clone immediately writes that information a single time to another drive, a backup is saved as a compressed .tib archive. As such, multiple .tib archives may be saved to a single backup drive, allowing for greater redundancy, security and flexibility.

Once a full disk image .tib archive is restored to a drive, the result is the same as if that drive had been the target of a clone done on the date and time that the backup archive was created.

Clone is riskier because we've seen situations where users mistakenly choose the wrong drive to clone from and to, thus wiping out their system drive.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

When you say it sees only one drive, are you talking about the recovery media or ATI in Windows. I guess recovery media but I want to make sure.

If you replace one SAM disk by the other, is it detected correctly? If yes, there is probably a bug. Let us know.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

Lancorp Networks
Beginner

Pat L, I meant from the recovery media (USB Flash drive). I have a SAM 830 128GB as the "master" and i've tried two new identical SAM830 128GB as the 2nd drive, and both times, ATI says there is only one drive and I can't clone. I also tried a SAM 830 256GB as the 2nd drive. Same thing. I then tried a OCZ Agility 3 as the 2nd drive, and this time it saw two drives and allowed a clone.

I think there is a bug when two of the same model drives are connected and a clone is attempted. I haven't tried any other functions, like backup, though.

Lancorp Networks
Beginner

Tuttle, as a long time Norton Ghost user (old DOS version I have on a bootable USB flash drive), I have happily been using it to clone for years. I do a lot of cloning and don't really need a "backup" feature unless I'm going to keep an image of some hard drive for future use. I do understand the differences between cloning and backup, but for my purpose, I need to clone a drive configuration to another drive or drives. Hence, I clone.

I've managed with the old Norton Ghost until recently when Ghost would not clone drives > 1.5GB. Also, cloning Windows 7 SSD's is a pain because Norton Ghost doesn't align the partition properly on the SSD. So I have to go through a Win 7 install on the target SSD just to create an aligned partition, then use Ghost to clone partition to partition. I assume ATI 2013 does this automatically.

Thanks for the advice, though.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

I am going to notify Acronis of your situation as it might be an issue with the recovery software.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

bob LOU
Beginner

I'm a bit unhappy to find out that you shouldn't use the clone feature, you could accidently wipe out your data, I was just getting ready to clone my drive and I have a lot of files that need to be saved. But I have already done a system image back up with windows 7. I decided that I should create 2 backups just to be safe. I've used Copy Commander several times, you can select the automatic feature, or manually select the drive you want to copy to, I think it gives you a warning message if you try to copy to a drive that already has an operating system on it.

Anyway Acronis has some nice features like a rescue disk.

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

bob LOU wrote:

I'm a bit unhappy to find out that you shouldn't use the clone feature, you could accidently wipe out your data,

It's not a flaw with the software, it's just the nature of cloning. Clone should be used only by advanced users who know what they are doing. It is riskier and can result in a loss of data and a failed system. Use a full disk backup and restore, as it's far safer. There's usually no need to clone, when backup and restore achieve the same result.

bob LOU wrote:

I have already done a system image back up with windows 7. I decided that I should create 2 backups just to be safe.

You can do that. Create a Full disk mode backup using True Image. It's better than a Clone.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

bob LOU wrote:

I have already done a system image back up with windows 7. .

Lou,
If using TrueImage Home for backups and a possible restore, click on link #2 for an example of the best type of backup to have to meet those needs which is a comolete disk image made by selecting the "disk mode" option.