35204: ATIH 2012 uninstalled - now cannot access any USB thumbnail drives

5 replies [Last post]
David Baxter
Beginner

I purchased, installed, and quickly uninstalled Acronis TI 2012 on a new Windows 7 64-bit Toshiba laptop.

Now I cannot access any of my USB thumbnail drives.

Other USB functions are working normally and the same thumbnail drives work normally on other computers.

The drive shows up under disk drives in Device Manager as not working. I cannot update the driver. It tells me that the driver file associated with the drive is disk.inf. The error is that a necessary service is not running and may be being provided by another program or process.

How do I fix this? I have tried reinstalling the USB drivers for my laptop and that made no difference.

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

You may still have an acronis driver present in your system. Download and run the 2012 cleanup utility http://kb.acronis.com/content/24545 following the instructions carefully. Be sure not to let the utility restart your system until you have checked and edited (if necessary) the registry items referenced in the KB article.

What I tell my friends:
It's not a problem with your computer, it's a short circuit between the chair and the keyboard!
What I tell my customers:
Whatever the problem is, we can fix it.

David Baxter
Beginner

Followed those instructions to the letter. Problem is NOT resolved.

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Please check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and tell me what you have for the upper Filters and Lower Filters Values.

What I tell my friends:
It's not a problem with your computer, it's a short circuit between the chair and the keyboard!

David Baxter
Beginner

Actually, I managed to get it working.

There are several other places in the registry with reference to snapman*, fltsrv, tdrpman*, vidsflt*, timounter, or Acronis, beyond the two keys mentioned in the KB article you referenced.

I searched through the registry for all of those terms and deleted all that I found. Then I rebooted, plugged in my USN thumbnail drive, it indicated that it was installing the required drivers, and this time - finally - it succeeded.

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Glad your up and running again.

What I tell my friends: