35419: True Image 2013 and cloning

12 replies [Last post]
dan me
Beginner

Will true image 2013 with the plus pack allow you to clone (via boot cd) a dynamic disk ? and will it allow you to increase the size of the partition (ie. installing larger hard drive)?

thanks

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

ati2013 will clone a Dynamic disk even without plus pack.

Have you checked out the userguide?
You can find your way to Acronis user guides here http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/index.html

Just a free, tip. Make a backup and restore rather than clone. It's safer and more versatile. You can size all the partitions, as described in the guide.

Be part of the discussion; Post your objective product views on Amazon and other sites.
Reading works. Get the User Guide at http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/

dan me
Beginner

your wrong scott. it won't let you do a disk backup on a dynamic drive unless the plus pack is installed and you can't clone it from a recovery disk

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

lol. Well I knew it would happen sooner or later. But you're right, the extra cost of the plus pack is still required for dynamic disks. I was thinking of GPT (DOH!).

Anyway, if you haven't already, look at, e.g., p. 14 of the userguide. when in doubt. . .

Be part of the discussion; Post your objective product views on Amazon and other sites.
Reading works. Get the User Guide at http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/

Knut
Beginner

Another cloning question:

The major reason for me to by ATIH is that I'd like to get my entire C: and D: partitions back in case Windows gets corrupted, including all system files, and bootable. Do I need to use "partition backup" (which would include hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys, tempfiles, etc.) or can I recover my system drive (bootable) from the online backup?

Knut

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Knut, that is a primary use of ATIH. I have recovered entire systems, after hard drive disasters, many times.
Do not Clone. Do a Backup.

Your best course is to make a full disk mode backup, which includes all partitions (even hidden ones), to an external HD. That will include everything: Windows; all your settings; all your installed software applications; all your data; ... everything.

Each backup is saved as a compressed .tib archive. As such, multiple .tib archives may be saved to a single backup drive, allowing for greater redundancy, security and flexibility.

Once a full disk image .tib archive is restored to a drive, the result is the same as if that drive had been the target of a clone done on the date and time that the backup archive was created.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

edit

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Knut wrote:

Another cloning question:

The major reason for me to by ATIH is that I'd like to get my entire C: and D: partitions back in case Windows gets corrupted, including all system files, and bootable. Do I need to use "partition backup" (which would include hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys, tempfiles, etc.) or can I recover my system drive (bootable) from the online backup?

Knut

Yes. Do a disk and partition backup (aka "image"). This will create an archive file that contains all the information to restore to the same or another disk, as if you cloned it.
Make sure you include all partitions that are on your system disk, and the active partition if it is not on that disk. If you know what you are doing, you can be selective to save space, etc. But including every partition is the safest way to go.

You cannot use online backup to do an image.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Just to add to the above replies, TIH doesn't actually image the hyberfil.sys or pagefile.sys it makes a placeholder for them in the image and Windows reconstitutes them when it runs from the recovered image.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

If you do a diskmode backup, you will be able to restore the entire disk (and all of its partitions, the partition table, the whole 9 yards) or just choose some partitions to restore from the diskmode backup. If you hdisk has to be replaced, a diskmode is what you will want to have on hand.

A partition backup will let you select partitions to backup and so can be faster because it's less complete (doesn't have the whole disk).

I wouldn't depend on the the online backup to restore my system. If the system is down, you might need to restore to be able to get back on line.

Also, note that Vista and W7 and W8 use a hidden partition as the boot manager so, if you need to restore a system disk you will want to have that partition in the backup too.

Knut
Beginner

Colin, thanks for clarifying that hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sy are not wasting space (and traffic). What about prefetch? Anything else that is excluded?

Scott, thanks for reminding me of the hidden partition. Unfortunately, it doesn't show up in the Online Backup dialog. How can I select it for backup? (Although I'm not so much concerned about backing up the system default.)

What I am concerned about is to get Windows and the installed software back in case Windows gets corrupted and a restore installation fails. For that, I need to make sure that all files on my C: and D: partitions are restored, including all hidden files etc MSI needs. Where do I find information about the difference between Online Backup and Partition Backup?

Knut

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Knut.

To clarify Colin's points, ATI doesn't move data from the hiberfil and pagefile files, but it does create a placeholder of the same size as each of these files. If you inspect your backup, you will see some file called hiberfil and pagefile in the backup of the right size.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

I haven't tried a partition only backup in so long, I don't recall what the screens offer.

But I'll say again that, if you want to be able to restore the system drive etc., do a diskmode backup and you'll have the whole thing. You can still choose to restore from that backup less than all the partitions, but you'll have the whole ball of wax if you want it.

I'd keep this backup up to date because programs change, registry entries change. That's the simplest. But if you want to keep an old backup but not restore it over current data files, then make a file backup of the data files and restore those after restoring the disk. Still relatively simple.