35465: Backup & Restore hidden factory restore partition?

4 replies [Last post]
Paul Leduc
Paul Leduc's picture
Forum Member

I have an ASUS notebook that has a hidden partition that contains the factory preload, as well as a standard C: drive with Windows 7.

I am considering upgrading my HD to a SSD. I would like to know if I do a complete backup, including the hidden partition and the C: partition, can I restore both these partitions to the new SSD?

If I can, then my next question is can I retore this drive if I connect it to my USB port as another expansion drive? The idea being to restore the SSD as an external device, then install it permanently into my notebook. Possible? Or would there be some conflict with the C: partition and the hidden recovery partition on the external SSD being the same as those on the internal HD?

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Paul Leduc wrote:

I have an ASUS notebook that has a hidden partition that contains the factory preload, as well as a standard C: drive with Windows 7.

I am considering upgrading my HD to a SSD. I would like to know if I do a complete backup, including the hidden partition and the C: partition, can I restore both these partitions to the new SSD?

Yes, you can restore both partitions to an SSD. The key thing when restoring to an SSD is disk alignment. Most computers disk are now aligned to be restored directly to SSD. Older computers with XP or Vista may not be aligned. ATI should do the alignment automatically, but it is better to make sure of this. You can follow the instructions here to do that: http://forum.acronis.com/forum/34509#comment-106890

Quote:

If I can, then my next question is can I retore this drive if I connect it to my USB port as another expansion drive? The idea being to restore the SSD as an external device, then install it permanently into my notebook. Possible? Or would there be some conflict with the C: partition and the hidden recovery partition on the external SSD being the same as those on the internal HD?

When you restore, put the SSD in its final place, then boot the computer on the Acronis recovery CD and to the restore from there. Do not reboot the computer with any disk attached the first time. Then, no problem. YOu can cannot your older disk to the computer.

You don't have to restore the recovery partition. If you use disk imaging, this is actually useless.

What should do it is create the recovery CD/DVD if you don't have a Windows installation DVD bundled with your laptop. With these CD's you have a way to "reinstall" your Windows OS if you ever need to. When computers don't ship with a Windows installation DVD and have a recovery partition, there is typically some feature to create the recovery CDs from Windows.

Win 10 Pro x64 SSD - ATI 2016 Latest build

Paul Leduc
Paul Leduc's picture
Forum Member

Pat L wrote:
When you restore, put the SSD in its final place, then boot the computer on the Acronis recovery CD and to the restore from there.
1. Do not reboot the computer with any disk attached the first time. Then, no problem.
2. YOu can cannot your older disk to the computer.

Thanks for the reply..
Would you mind clarifying the two items in the quoted section?

MudCrab
MudCrab's picture
Forum Star

1. On the first boot to the SSD after the restore it's best to not have any other drives connected.

2. After the first boot from the SSD you can connect the drive(s) you disconnected for #1.

MudCrab's Website

Drive Notify ~ Schedule your backups without being required to keep your backup drive connected.

Paul Leduc
Paul Leduc's picture
Forum Member

An update...

I made an ATI backup of my old HD, including the hidden factory pre-load image.

I installed the SSD and tried to do a restore of the entire HD image, including the factory pre-load hidden partition, and it did not restore the factory pre-load hidden partition.

So, I just did a restore of the image for the C drive I had on my old HD, and it worked successfully and I was able to boot up the system from the new SSD. I then reinstalled the old HD into the spare bay, and cleared the HD and made it available for data. The hidden factory pre-load partition is still on the old HD, but I also made CD backups of this hidden partition so I will be able to restore the system to the factory pre-load in the future if needed.

btw.. this new SSD is the best upgrade I have ever done.. drastic improvement in speed.. the system boots up in about 10 seconds. Big programs like Adobe Photoshop or MS Office launch in seconds. Fantastic! I you can afford it, replace your HD with a SSD - you won't be disappointed... and Acronis True Image makes the upgrade painless.