3557: Frustration with Unallocated Space

13 replies [Last post]
Kevin Mathew
Beginner

I wanted to upgrade my 120GB hard drive to a 500GB drive on my laptop.  I purchase TI Home 2009, and did a complete system backup.  I then removed the old hard drive from my laptop, put in the new one and booted with the Acronis CD.  Did a manage and restore left options as default.  It worked, but the new disk looks exactly like the old one meaning there is 354GB of unallocated space.  I have 10GB left on the drive according to Computer, and obviously this is wrong.  PLEASE PLEASE someone tell me how to reclaim all this unallocated space :(...

Kevin Mathew
Beginner

Nevermind figured it out.  There was a partition in between the OS and the unallocated space.  I deleted this partition and then extended the OS Volume using Disk Management.   All good now :)

george jones
Beginner

I have precisely the same problem. Used 2009,went from a 160 to 500gb.... and now it shows 417gb "unallocated". And, I am a complete novice when it comes to managing partitions. Went thru forums y'day and tried several  solutions suggested there: use Secure Zones, MBRWork, and gpared (or something like that). All I succeeded in doing was making my HD unbootable... had to do a another complete restore... w/same unallocated result.

Can you be more specific about how you solved this. Is Disk Management a program?

Thanks.

Bruce
Bruce's picture
Regular Poster

Disk Management is part of Windows.  You can get to it by going to Start -> Run and type in diskmgmt.msc.

Bruce Mahnke
Amateur Radio K0EHN
Windows 7, SP1 Professional, 64-bit
True Image Home 2013, build 5551 (U.S. English)

Dmitry
Dmitry's picture
Frequent Poster

Hello George,

Thank you for using Acronis Products

You may also check Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 for that purposes. You can easily create partitions from unallocated space as well as resize, split, copy and recover partitions. Download free trial version and test it.

Dmitry Nikolaev

[[http://www.acronis.com/support | Acronis Customer Central]] | [[http://www.acronis.com/ | Acronis Backup Software]]
For more answers to your questions, try our [[http://kb.acronis.com | Knowledge base]]

Tom Crews
Beginner

I have a drive with 100% unallocated space in an attempt to partition it. I would like to restore it to its original configuration 931.5 GB (1TB). This mistake was made with Acronis Trial Version 10 and being a complete novice I have no idea how. Looking for help in this matter. Thanks. Tom

DwnNDrty
Forum Star

Tom Crews wrote:
I have a drive with 100% unallocated space in an attempt to partition it. I would like to restore it to its original configuration 931.5 GB (1TB). This mistake was made with Acronis Trial Version 10 and being a complete novice I have no idea how. Looking for help in this matter. Thanks. Tom

If you have a backup of the original configuration (where do you have it stored?), make the bootable True Image Rescue CD, boot with it and restore the backup.

Tom Crews
Beginner

Thanks for your response, but unfortunately I don't have the Rescue CD.

Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Tom:

Does your unallocated disk drive show up in Windows Disk Management? If so, right-click on it and choose "New Simple Volume". Make the partition fill the entire disk. Then format it and off you go...

Acronis TI 9, TI 10, TI 2011, TI 2013, TI 2014, TI2015, DD 10, DD 11, DD12 user Amateur Radio K0LO

Tom Crews
Beginner

Thanks Mark! I'll give it a try...

Tom

denisbloud
denisbloud's picture
Beginner

Les outils du programme Acronis devraient permettre et offrir une option de suppression de la partition ASZ et le retour à la situation antérieure. Ce programme n'est pas au point.

DBL

denisbloud
denisbloud's picture
Beginner

Les solutions proposées par les techniciens d'Acronis sont pathétiquement nulles et incompétentes ! Ils ne répondent pas aux messages qui les gênent. Je suis très déçu par Acronis et je n'achèterai plus leurs produits pour la sauvegarde de mes disques. N'ayant évidemment reçu aucune aide (il n'y a pas de support téléphonique ni par courrier électronique contrairement aux autres marques) pour mon problème de suppression de la Zone créée abusivement par Acronis 2010 (blocage de la moitié de mon disque dur sans aucune possibilité de suppression offerte!), j'ai fini par trouver moi-même la solution: il faut DESINSTALLER le programme Acronis 2010, qui n'est pas au point, et réinstaller Acronis 11, qui est encore correct! Acronis 11 a tout de suite détecté la zone de sécurité et m'a offert l'option "Supprimer la Zone de sécurité Acronis", ce que j'ai fait: dans les 3 minutes qui ont suivi, j'ai retrouvé mon disque C entier (sauf une partition minimale de 15 Mo)!

DBL

Malcolm Sellars
Beginner

Kevin Mathew wrote:

Nevermind figured it out.  There was a partition in between the OS and the unallocated space.  I deleted this partition and then extended the OS Volume using Disk Management.   All good now :)

I realize that this is a very old post, but for anyone having the same problem when upgrading their hard disk on a Laptop, this solution works! I had been so frustrated trying to have the full 500GB showing on Drive C, (310 GB was unallocated) until I did as Kevin suggested, and now all is good

denisbloud
denisbloud's picture
Beginner

Thank you Kevin. I found a simpler and quicker solution: using TuneUp Utilities 2009 (8.0.3310) - TuneUp Disk Explorer, I discovered 2 pseudo-partitions created by Acronis and I simply deleted them ! My C:\ disk space grew to its genuine size again! I do not use Acronis 2010 any more but returned to my former Acronis 11 version, which I find far more practical and safe. Please consider this discussion as closed. Note that I am not a "Beginner" as falsely imposed by the Forum system ! Denis

DBL