35998: Failed to get VSS metadata for backup

3 replies [Last post]
Jeffrey Curdt
Beginner

Hello,
I am using Acronis Backup & Recovery 11 Advanced Workstation Bundle with Universal Restore on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I am getting this error "Failed to get VSS metadata for backup" while doing backup containing two disks.

I've poked around a bit and it seems to be related to Server editions of Windows. Even though this is Ultimate Edition, I don't think it puts it in the same class as "SERVER" edition of Windows. What I have found so far is:

23359: Acronis Backup & Recovery 11: Disk Backup with Acronis VSS Provider Fails on Windows SBS 2011

http://kb.acronis.com/content/23359

26550: Acronis Backup & Recovery 11: Backup Displays the "Failed to get VSS metadata for backup" Warning
http://kb.acronis.com/content/26550

I do not believe I qualify as any of the above, but still need to get it worked out. Even though it created the backup and verified, the image is not mountable or explorable.

--------------------
Log Entry Details
--------------------
Type: Warning
Date and time: 9/27/2012 6:57:03 AM
Backup plan: [None]
Task: [None]
Code: 4,195,008(0x4002C0)
Module: 64
Owner: Acronis Agent User 3
Additional info:
--------------------
Error code: 704
Module: 64
LineInfo: 26556611c50a732a
Fields: $module : C:\Program Files (x86)\Acronis\BackupAndRecovery\DiskBundle.dll
--------------------
Error code: 65520
Module: 0
LineInfo: bd28fdbd64edb8bc
Fields: code : 2147942450
--------------------
--------------------

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee520/Boujii/FailedtogetVSSmetadataf...

--------------------
Log Entry Details
--------------------
Type: Information
Date and time: 9/26/2012 11:34:32 PM
Backup plan: [None]
Task: [None]
Code: 66,544(0x103F0)
Module: 1
Owner: Acronis Agent User 3
Create Full Backup From: Disk '1', Disk '2' To file: "file://wdsharespace\Jeff\Jeff%20%40date%40_2012_09_26_23_34_27_534D.TIB" Compression: Maximum File Split: 4.340 GB Exclude: Files matching mask Match criterion: *\System Volume Information\*{3808876B-C176-4e48-B7AE-04046E6CC752}; ... Ask for the first media: No
--------------------

Furthermore: Volume Copy Shadow Service is set for Software Provider by default.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee520/Boujii/VolumeShadowCopyService...

Jeffrey Curdt
Beginner

I can't afford to be without a backup at all. Therefore going to try it tonight again with VSS off completely since it was using System Provider (Microsoft) and failed. I may also try doing individual backups of each drive since it's two hard drives.

dev-anon
dev-anon's picture
Forum Star

Is it a warning, as it is stated in the log record, and a backup is created , or backup is not created?

Peter Vigoureux
Peter Vigoureux's picture
Forum Support Professional

Hello Jeffrey Curdt,

Thank you for using Acronis software.

I want to thank dev-anon for supporting you.

I checked your account and saw, that you have valid maintenance and upgraded your product to Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.5. Please download and install the upgrade to fix your issue.

If you have problems during upgrade installation or it does not fix your issue, please contact support. Find your support options in our Customer Handbook.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.

Peter Vigoureux

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base and Video Tutorials.

Check our Corporate and Consumer Handbooks and Online Documentation for help on managing your account, products and support.

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.