37787: How do I restore my system (C) drive from a USB external drive?

5 replies [Last post]
Alan Watson
Beginner
Send PM: Send PM

I have a fairly new (six-week-old) Toshiba Portege R930 running Windows y 64 bit. Something has been going badly wrong with it in the last few days, to the extent that I was crashing every time I tried to start it. The indications are that this is a software, rather than a hardware, problem, and I have a succession of complete backups on an external USB drive. I also have a DVD formatted as an Acronis recovery disk.

When I booted the PC from the recovery disk, however, I could not see the external disk drive - apparently because it uses Linux and the drivers might not be available.

I have eventually recovered the PC using some separate Toshiba recovery disks that I created and have also re-installed Acronis TIH on my PC, but now I see from KB 1544 that in order to recover my software and data to the C drive, I have to re-start the PC from the same recovery disk that I couldn't recover from before.

How do I get this to work?

Alan

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Try another connection for the external drive. Don't connect via a hub, a port in a monitor, a USB extension cord, etc. Connect the external drive directly to a USB port on the rear of the computer case. See if that works better.

If connected to a USB 3.0 port, try a USB 2.0 port (if you have one).

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Legend

Sometimes, I found that using a usb2 cable will work if the usb3 will not.

if you find that it is the usb3 cable or disk, you may benefit by creating a WinPE boot disk but that requires the purchase of the matching Acronis Plus pack as usb3 is significantly faster.

Grovers status = Inactive    1. Grover's New Revised Guides    4.  2014 Cleanup    2015 Cleanup    5. Attachments/How   7. TI 2015 FAQ.
2. Create BKU Tasks >   2011_2012_2013    2A. Using 2014    6.  Help  2016  2015 2014  2013       8.  Stop Scan for Backups   8A.  ATIH Video's
3.  Create new disks-Guides.    9.  Register/Downloads     10.  Mustang's New Guides   11.  Les Seiler's Backup Video

Alan Watson
Beginner

Thanks to you both. USB 2 did work. I only had to restore 80gb onto an internal SSD, and it was by no means as slow as I had feared.

I don't think that this is good enough though. Acronis tells us that if we have a complete backup and a recovery disk, then we have some security, but it seems that this depends on our hardware configuration and/or the purchase of the plus pack. Why aren't users told about this at the outset, and prompted to check whether they can really restore from their backup?

And why doesn't the help that comes with the recovery disk mention any of the options? Instead it seemed to have a section called 'driver recovery manager' (writing from memory) which said that it would try to find drivers from the hard disk, but this didn't seem to feature in the menu structure so that there was no way of triggering it.

Finally, my Toshiba PC comes with a tool to create its own recovery boot disk, which presumably uses WinPE. Is there any way I can install Acronis recovery manager on this, so that I can use it to boot and then run Acronis from there to recover my hard disk?

I really don't think it is good enough (on the part of Acronis), although I am very grateful for your help.

Thanks again,

Alan

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Legend

You do not indicate what version of True Image is involved. As your posting is not on the true image 2013 forum, I assume it is not 2013.
The last version version of 2012 did have usb3 support but much would depend upon the hardware. If your hardware is really new, then it is probably newer than the last version of 2012.

One option I would suggest that you try (if you are not using version 2013) would be to sign up for the trial version and download only the ISO bootable media download. Once downloaded, then burn the iso file onto a new CD as an image and then boot from the 2013 trial CD to see if all your disks are seen and if you have usb3 support.

Would you also clarify whether you have Windows 7 or Window 8. Your initial posting shows Windows y 64 bit.

Grovers status = Inactive    1. Grover's New Revised Guides    4.  2014 Cleanup    2015 Cleanup    5. Attachments/How   7. TI 2015 FAQ.
2. Create BKU Tasks >   2011_2012_2013    2A. Using 2014    6.  Help  2016  2015 2014  2013       8.  Stop Scan for Backups   8A.  ATIH Video's
3.  Create new disks-Guides.    9.  Register/Downloads     10.  Mustang's New Guides   11.  Les Seiler's Backup Video

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

You've said your laptop is only six-weeks old. No imaging software can possibly guarantee to support all current and future hardware. New disk layouts, controllers and boot structure are emerging, and it takes time for software developers to adapt their products. Instead of railing against the situation, which an entirely understandable situation where some new hardware isn't fully supported, you can follow our tips.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.