37945: Cannot boot Recovery CD on UEFI machine

10 replies [Last post]
John Becker
Beginner

Created Recovery CD using TrueImage 2013 with Plus Pack.
Cannot boot machine with this disk, the machine is UEFI.

What to do?

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Boot the computer, press F2 immediately and repeatedly (or whetever key for your machine) to enter BIOS. FInd the way to disable secure boot and to enable legacy boot.
Set up the legacy boot to boot on the DVD. Boot on the recovery CD. DO you operation.
After the operation, reboot, press F2, enable UEFI and secure boot.

Win 8.1 Pro x64 SSD + Software RAID 0 - ATI 2014 6614

John Becker
Beginner

I have not gotten this or any other fixes to work. It is an HP/Compaq 8200 Elite workstation machine.
I disabled BIOS UEFI features, ATI 2013 will not boot. It seems so close, it says "Acronis UEFI loader.... " then hangs.

Any other ideas?

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

John,

Other than buying the Plus Pack anf attempting to make a WinPe based recovery CD, I would suggest contacting Acronsi Support and see if they can make a recovery ISO tailored to your PC. You will need to send them an Acronis system report so that they can see if there are any Linux drivers for your PC.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

John Becker
Beginner

Colin,
Thanks, but i am using PlusPack, and it is a complete disaster. Nothing (including the WinPE) seems to work, no matter what I try.
Good thing it is purely a test, and not a live system I am recovering. Otherwise it would really be an ugly situation.

Forget Acronis support, I have never had any success with them. If it does not work out of the box, nothing tech support can do.

Word to the wise: BEWARE UEFI!

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Sounds definitely an HP specific driver and setup is the cause here.

I think from an Acronis point of view they will need to have a second level support or developer look into this and only rasising a support ticket can start that process. I believe Acronis are aware of the general UEFI problems so might pick up on this more specific one as well.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

Mark Fiorentino
Beginner

I have the exact same problem as above. We unfortunately purchased a large number of HP 8200 elites and UEFI does not work on any of them. If you guys ever discover a fix for this let me know.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

You have 2 different things to consider:
a) going past secure boot/UEFI. The only way is to disable secure boot and give priority to legacy boot (eg LEnovo laptop), or disable UEFI and enable legacy boot (eg dell laptop). Then, at least the CD boots

b) making the CD boots all the way to the ATI app. If this doesn't happen, then it is because of a hardware support problem. You have to create a WINPE-based disk using the Plus Pack so that the recovery software supports your hardware.

Mark Fiorentino
Beginner

Thanks Pat,
I actually found another way as well. This is what I wound up doing. I installed the acronis on the PC to be restored. I then ran the program and told it to restore the new image onto the PC. I was able to pick the image up from the USB drive and the system restarted in the workstation mode without having to use the bootable disk. I then was able to restore the new image. These HP PCs have been a real problem there always making things more difficult for us. Thanks again for your help.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

That's great. Many users end up with issues when then kick off the restore process from Windows. Good for you that is working on your system!

James Nugent
Beginner

I have yet to install ATIH 2013 (quaking in my boots at the prospect...) to replace 2011. However, I did download the latest bootable Media ISO to play with and at least see if IT would work.

It worked on my Windows 7 machine (no surprise, but nice to have that risk retired).

This week we bought a new UEFI breathing Dell laptop loaded with Windows 8. My ADD 11 and ATIH 11 CD's would not boot, but the ATIH 13 downloaded ISO did! So I concluded they made 13 compatible with the UEFI Secure boot nonsense (I had not done anything the the "UEFI Firmware" settings).

Then I booted back into Windows 8 without problems (I didn't learn till later that this could even be a concern...).

So just a piece of data; I've never used the media builder but the downloaded ISO (burned to a CD obviously) will boot on a secure AFAIK UEFI Win 8 platform and I can look at partitions and such.

--
Jim
PS Don't you hate "It works for me!" posts? :)