39009: Unable to clone SSD using 2013

18 replies [Last post]
Martin P
Beginner

I am trying to clone a 64Gb SSD running my operating system to a SATA II HD using Acronis 2013 but the process fails immediately after the Proceed with Clone message.
I have tried this from within Acronis when it is running under Win7 and by booting from an Acronis created Bootable Rescue media CD and using the clone option.
An error is logged when using from within Acronis which reads: “ Failed to prepare operations. Error code : 10 ‘File system error is found’ with extended code: 458,777 ‘ File record corrupted’”
I have previously managed to use Acronis clone to copy from an SSD to SATA & IDE HDs but for some reason am now not able to replicate this process.
I should add that the disk I am cloning to is larger than the source 64Gb SSD.

Any suggestions as to why I am unable to perform this clone operation would be gratefully accepted.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Run chkdsk X: /R on each partition of the SSD from an elevated prompt.

Win 10 Pro x64 SSD - ATI 2016 Latest build

Martin P
Beginner

Hi, Thanks Pat. Sorry to be computer illiterate but what is an "elevated prompt", is it the same as a command prompt?

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Launch cmd.exe by right-clicking on it and selecting Run as Administrator. that's what "elevated prompt" means: you elevate it to Administrator privileges.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

Martin P
Beginner

Many thanks. I assume the "X" in chkdsk X: /R is the partition drive letter. If so how can I run this on the "system reserve" partition of the SSD which does not have a drive letter?

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Martin,

You would have to allocate a partition letter in Windows Disk Management or 3rd party disk manager like Disk director or fi you're feeling game via an elevated command prompt using DiskPart.

When finished you would remove the drive letter. I'm not sure though what would happen as far as booting is concerned with a drive letter valid for the System partition. As this is the disk that contains the sytem chkdsk has to run with Windows offline, so it would run on reboot.

Windows 10 Pro 14361.rs1 Preview + Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM. TI2016:5518 Acronis Backup Advanced:43994, DD12:3223, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4 On a clear disk you can seek forever

Martin P
Beginner

Hi All,

Many thanks for the responses - it seems this is now getting technical and me not being particularly computer literate, a bit over my head... I am also wary as to whether running CHKDSK on an SSD, particularly with the /R option, will cause any problems, there seems to be varying opinions on various on-line forums! I should emphasise that my SSD is working perfectly well but I just cannot clone it, other back-ups of the SSD using Acronis run OK and verify.

However despite this and rather than allocating a drive letter to the Win7 Sytem Reserve area and then running CHKDSK with the then possible unknown consequences once one needs to re-boot, would the Error Checking option found under Win7 Disk Management\Properties\Tools of the particular partion perform the same function as CHKDSK? If so, running without the option to "recover bad sectors" ticked but with the option "automatically fix file system errors" ticked might get the same result?

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Martin P wrote:
would the Error Checking option found under Win7 Disk Management\Properties\Tools of the particular partion perform the same function as CHKDSK?

Yes, check both options.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Martin,

Do not worry about chkdsk and SSD. Windows 7 is perfectly capable with SSDs.

When you say that backups are running without issues, are you producing complete backups include all partitions?

Are these backups disk and partition backups or file backups?

If they are disk and partition backups of all the partitions, it is weird that the clone chokes but not the backups...

One thing to try is to do a file backup of the entire C:\ drive and see on which files the backup will choke. Some files are expected to be issues because they are locked by the system. But you might find a benign file that ATI reports as corrupted during the file backup. I have had that experience and deleting the file (a personal video) made the issues go away. The difference is that I was doind a backup.

Martin P
Beginner

Hi, in answer to Pat L regarding back-ups, it is the whole 64Gb SSD (C: partition plus the System Reserve partition) using Acronis Disk Back-up. I only have the Win7 operating system on the SSD with all my personal files etc on another SATA II internal HD which incidentally I can clone successfully to another SATA drive. Have just done another full back-up of the SSD and Acronis has verified it.

However, tried your suggestion of a file back-up of C: and guess what, it fails. Extract from the log is:
"message="Error occurred while backing up. (0x40019) Tag = 0xCE542E14DA203B82 The file is corrupted. (0x4000D) Tag = 0xF95BC409C4C4BB6E" />

The entire log doesn't mean a lot to me but have attached a copy if it helps.

AttachmentSize
17_january_2013_17_07_33.log 2.41 KB

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

If you exclude the Volume System Information from the backup and the recycling bin from the file backup does the error go away?

As the file backup goes through, ATI should alert you on the file that is causing problem, did it?

Martin P
Beginner

Hi Pat L, thanks for continued interest in this issue. After sending last post I set about trying to determine which folder was causing the issue. I have now narrowed it down to the Windows folder (last one I tried of course!) and am now working my way through the folders within the Windows folder. There are a lot of them so it's going to take a very long time and then I need to identify the problem file. Will report back when I get somewhere.
Thanks again for the help

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

With a bit of luck, you will have a corrupted Windows files that is not essential to Windows operations, or that you will be able to replace manually.

the SFC feature of windows will let you know if some essential windows file is corrupted.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Martin P
Beginner

Hi again. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the SFC feature. Ran it, it reported "...did not find any integrity violations" and the issue remains.

I have narrowed the problem down to the winsxs folder but of course this is an enormous folder (7.54Gb and with 11,640 sub-folders with 48,715 files) so I could be a while going thro this lot!

Any suggestions on how I can scan this lot would be gratefully accepted........

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

The winsxs folder is a catalog folder with all sort of things like drivers Windows might need for P&P and other purposes, so if you end up having a corrupted file in there, you should be able to delete it without much risk.

Maybe a simple copy through Windows explorer could find the defect...

Martin P
Beginner

Thanks yet again for the comment - I need to find the corrupted file first, unless I'm lucky it could be a few days!

Could you expand the comment "Maybe a simple copy through Windows explorer could find the defect..."

Martin P
Beginner

Hi,
Thought I would update my effort to find the cause of the unable to back-up a file which I think is the cause of being unable to Clone my SSD..

Because of the size of the folder Winsxs I decided to make a copy and "play" with the copy to see if I could find which file within Winsxs was causing the issue when I try to back it up using Acronis file back-up (perhaps this is what Pat L was suggesting in his last reply).
Running Acronis back-up on this copied file and it back-up without any issues! So, I assume it can't be an issue with the files within the Winsxs folder - could it possibly be just the folder Winsxs??.
Perhaps if I explained that when I attempt to do a C:\Windows\Winsxs file back-up that Acronis start and displays "Analysing partition" and then displays several numbers like 0-0, 2-1 (but too quickly to see all the numbers), and then displays Backing-up to .....\winsxs\. It then aborts the back-up at this stage. The log gives the error "error occurred while back-up. (0x40019) Tag = 0xCE542E14DA203B82The file is corrupted. (0x4000D).

Any further suggestions on how I can resolve this issue would be gratefully accepted!!

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

If you copy the file/folder you create new data in the NTFS file system and that doesn't help you.
I remember that ATI 2012 would tell you which file is corrupted during the file backup. Did you disable trueimagemonitor? Maybe that went away with 2013, ...
If it doesn't tell you which specific file is a problem, you could proceed by iteration by using the exclusion settings of the file backup excluding certain files folders and using wildcards (the winsxs folder structure is very repetitive so you should be able to quickly identify the section to exclude for the backup to proceed). For example exclude first c:\Windows\Winsxs\amd64*...

Another approach would be to move the winsxs folder to another disk and then move it back. Unlike a copy, a move will force the updating of the file system records for the current files, and maybe Windows will detect the problematic file and will tell you.

There are some risks with moving this folder, although some users indicate they were able to delete the entire folder. So proceed at your own risk if you decide to move the folder.

Martin P
Beginner

Hi Pat,

Thank you once again for the suggestions. You mention that ATI should indicate the file name as it backs up but as I mentioned above the back up does not seem to proceed beyond the initial stage and no files are shown in ATI as being backed up.
They were when I did a successfull back up after copying the entire winsxs contents to another folder on another drive. For this reason I do suspect that it could be the actual winsxs folder as opposed to the files/folders within it and that copying the entire contens of winsxs to a new folder and then renaming that folder as winsxs might get over the issue? As you say there are risks in moving/deleting the winsxs folder and wondered if this was done from a command prompt under system rescue as opposed to from within Windows 7 if this would be less risky?