39212: Acronis True Image 2013 wont see USB external hard drive

9 replies [Last post]
Snuggles
Beginner
Send PM: Send PM

Hi! I have Acronis True Image 2013 and use it quite successfully to back up my files and computer partitions, only one slight big massive problem I also use Ghost 15. The problem is I love the new interface and the way Acronis works and when I boot using the emergency cd Norton sees my external backup drive but Acronis 2013 fails to see it and I then do not have access to my valuable back up l,ocation in case of catastrophic disc failure I would not be able to use Acronis to restore from a fatal disaster. Thats why I like to test these things before depending on them in the real world, so would anyone have any ideas as to what is going on as I can access the external usb backup drive in windows but it is not recognised when booting using the emergency Acronis abckup cd while in the safe environment..

The external usb drive is the 3TB segate goflex desk. Thanks to all who answer..

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

If the 3TB drive is connected via USB 3 try a USB 2 port.

Make sure the drive is connected and powered up before booting from the recovery CD.

Windows 10 Pro 1607:14393 + Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM. TI2016:5518 Acronis Backup Advanced:43994, DD12:3223, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4 On a clear disk you can seek forever

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

To be sure that Acronis 2013 Rescue Media can or can not "see" your disk, boot to the Rescue Media, and choose the tool "Add a new disk", on the screen that follows, can you see the 3TB external drive?

Do not perform the "Add a new disk" task, as it is used to "clean off" a drive for Acronis' use. Just check to see if Acronis can display the drive.

Also, if the drive is connected to a USB 3.0 port, temporarily connect it to a USB 2.0 port, if available, and try the Rescue Media again. If you can see the drive while connected to the USB 2.0 post and booted to the Rescue Media, you could still use Acronis to backup from within Windows to the drive while connected to the USB 3.0 port at USB 3.0 speeds, but would need to switch back to a USB 2.0 port for Rescue Media Operations.

What I tell my friends:
It's not a problem with your computer, it's a short circuit between the chair and the keyboard!
What I tell my customers:
Whatever the problem is, we can fix it.

Snuggles
Beginner

Thank you Colin B & James F. I will do what you have both explained simple but quite possible this is all what is causing my issues, I will do that and report back with either a big thumbs up or a boo hoooo. Thank you both for your very informative and helpful replies. Must print your instructions of the trusty canon inkjet, and try what you have suggested fingers crossed.

Snuggles
Beginner

Hi! I can confirm with great disappointment that this fix you have suggested does not work, interestingly enough when I did the Add a new disk" task, it does show the drive with two partitions one at 35Gb and the other at 2.46Tb but it does not show under the restore emergency environment rather frustrating.

Strangely enough might go back to using Norton Ghost 15 as it works flawlessly when using this external hard drive just strange that Acronis does not do the same.

Doesn't look like I'll be able to use Acronis in the even of a catastrophic hard drive failure it is ok when using it within windows but boot from the emergency disc and it just does not work at all. Rather upsetting.. Ahh Well

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

True Image does see this drive in Windows doesn't it?

Some solutions (assuming this is a Linux driver issue), see if the problem still occurs if the actual hard drive is attached to a different caddy or attached directly to the motherboard, another alternative would be to make a Windows PE version of the recovery CD, unless you have XP as the OS you would need the Plus Pack to do this.

You could also contact Acronis via their support page and seeif they can make an ISO for your system.

Windows 10 Pro 1607:14393 + Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM. TI2016:5518 Acronis Backup Advanced:43994, DD12:3223, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4 On a clear disk you can seek forever

Snuggles
Beginner

Hey I got my system resolved and now Acronis true image sees my backup partition all 2.72 terabytes of it woo hoooo. It was the emergency boot disc, I made another recuse media disc and included other files that weren't present in the last emergency disc so now I can see my backup files and partitions and would be able to recover in case of a total catastrophic disc disaster. It is great to be safe in the knowledge that there is a backup solution available rather like a tight rope walker without a safety net? In this digital world it is back up every time is imperative because you just don't know when you will need that all important backup.

I have decided after using Norton Ghost for over 13 years to now make that software defunct and migrate totally over to Acronis chin ching for Acronis right here $$$$$$$$.

So thank you Colin B, you were very helpful to me trying to help resolve my problem, and the same to James F. Now my next problem? Trying to get these V-3 Tritons into my rear brake and stop lights is going to be a tight fit plenty of swearing & brute force oh forgot to mention cut fingers as well, lol..

So happy outcome resolved people and the interface of Acronis True Image 2013 is the best out there for backup jobs of files and whole partitions, is is simply very intuitive user friendly and very simple program without all the difficulties associated with using other programs as this program can be as simple as you like or as detailed if you like to delve deeper under the layers this program has to offer. 100% FANTASTIC PROGRAM I'M VERY PLEASED i GOT THIS BOOT EMERGENCY DISC TO WORK NOW MY BACKUP LOCATION IS VISIBLE IN THE EMERGENCY ENVIRONMENT. Thank you

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Were you using an older version of the True Image Rescue Media (previous to the 2013 version)?

What I tell my friends:
It's not a problem with your computer, it's a short circuit between the chair and the keyboard!
What I tell my customers:
Whatever the problem is, we can fix it.

Dennis
Beginner

Snuggles wrote:

I made another recuse media disc and included other files that weren't present in the last emergency disc

What "other" files where included?

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Legend

Dennis,
Try this. The iso file recovery file is different than the one created via the installation program.
If problems with the CD, try creating a new CD via the new downloadable iso file.
http://forum.acronis.com/forum/43868#comment-137419

Grovers status = Inactive    1. Grover's New Revised Guides    4.  2014 Cleanup    2015 Cleanup    5. Attachments/How   7. TI 2015 FAQ.
2. Create BKU Tasks >   2011_2012_2013    2A. Using 2014    6.  Help  2016  2015 2014  2013       8.  Stop Scan for Backups   8A.  ATIH Video's
3.  Create new disks-Guides.    9.  Register/Downloads     10.  Mustang's New Guides   11.  Les Seiler's Backup Video