40135: ATI 2012 boot disk

5 replies [Last post]
IDK
Beginner

I have read many posts about "Boot drive (partition) not found. Press 'Enter' to try to Boot your OS" and "Acronis Loader Fatal Error Boot Drive (Partition) not found" etc. I have gotten both errors. Would the Acronis 2012 boot media worked? 1. If I hadnot loaded the AMD ACHI drivers first then partitioned and formated disk, 2. Is it the 100 MB Win 7 partition, 3. Could I have preformated, loaded in ide mode and changed reg and bios to achi later, 4. Finally, Can I just upgrade amdachi drivers in device manager with MSACHI drivers. I don't want to install, because I will probably have buy the Plus Pack and make a boot recovery disk.

shadowsports
shadowsports's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

I'm not really sure what your question is. An Acronis Boot CD does not make any permanent modifications to your system disk in order to run. It loads into memory. It may write to a RAM disk but the moment you restart, it's gone. It's a Linux based boot environment that Acronis runs in. You are not committed to anything until you press OK or proceed with an operation. As long as you don't give the OK to proceed you can quit running the boot environment at any time by pressing X (closing the app) or by pressing the the reset or power button and removing the bootable media.. USB stick, CD, DVD.

If the boot CD will not work with your system because it is using a specialized disk controller or RAID, then you can purchase the Plus Pack and create a Boot CD with the drivers specific to your controller or disk configuration.

A current boot CD will work with most BIOS, chipsets, USB devices and video controllers currently out there. It's pretty robust and easy to use. I wouldn't look for problems where they don't exist. Try starting your machine from a boot CD. If you run into problems any of the MVPs will be more than happy to offer advice or assistance. If you don't own the product already, you can download a free trial to test and verify compatibility with your hardware.

You can use the Try Now link here to request a copy of 2013. You will receive a S/N via email. You can use it to register an Acronis User Acct to download an .iso image of the boot CD and test the software with your system without installing it. This will be for 2013... not 2012.

Sys1: P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 (BIOS 3603), i7-2600k@3.5, 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600+, Corsair TX850w PSU, EVGA GTX 660 FTW Signature2, 2x Corsair Force III 120's RAID0 (boot), 1 x Seagate 1T 6GB (data), Win7x64 Ult. Case: HAF 922, ATI 2012 Plus Build #7133. Win8.1 Pro x64 2013 Plus Build #6514, QNAP TS-219P-II NAS - Sys2: P8Z77-V-LE PLUS, i5 3570k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, TX750w PSU, GTX 560Ti DS SC, Intel 520 120GB SSD, 1TB WD Black - Sys3: Surface Pro 2 - Win 8.1 128GB

IDK
Beginner

Hi shadowsports

I was asking too many questions and offering solutions.
I must say, I'm more than a little confusing at times. I have registered and downloaded boot iso. It will not boot and I get "Boot drive (partition) not found. Press 'Enter' to try to Boot your OS". I have now discovered changing the bios to ide that I can make a backup image to a usb drive. I stay in bios/Linux and change back to achi before booting back to Win7 OS.

After doing the ide/achi change in bios listed above, I updated the amd achi drivers in device manager with MS Achi (Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller). Still the same. Today, I want to change Sata 5-6 in bios to ide and physically move optcial drive to MB port 5 or 6. I have 1-6 connectors on MBoard.

I hope I not get ahead of any advise you may have, but I am willing to re-intall Win7 Sp1.

Thanks, IDK

shadowsports
shadowsports's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

IDK wrote:

Hi shadowsports

I have registered and downloaded boot iso. It will not boot and I get "Boot drive (partition) not found. Press 'Enter' to try to Boot your OS".

Thanks, IDK

A boot CD will usually start a system regardless of the BIOS settings. If a controller or the mode it is set to run in is not supported, no disks will show in the back up from or to dialog. But, the boot environment should still load. I'm sure there are exceptions.

Changing the operate mode of a controller is/was used primarily to start the boot enviroment when a non-native SATA controller was used to emulate IDE. It's been years since this was required, but it sounds like you are using older hardware? So this may still apply.

The same still applies. If your storage controller is not supported in its native mode, you can purchase the Plus Pack and create a WinPE boot disk with the specific drivers needed for your controller. Or, you can disable AHCI mode (use IDE emulation) to perform back ups in the boot environment.

When you restore, you would disable AHCI mode so the boot CD could see the drive you are restoring to. It is important that you re-enable AHCI mode before booting windows since these are the drivers it will load for the operate mode of the controller. Although this is not the intended use for the product, it does work. The downside to this is the added step.

Sys1: P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 (BIOS 3603), i7-2600k@3.5, 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600+, Corsair TX850w PSU, EVGA GTX 660 FTW Signature2, 2x Corsair Force III 120's RAID0 (boot), 1 x Seagate 1T 6GB (data), Win7x64 Ult. Case: HAF 922, ATI 2012 Plus Build #7133. Win8.1 Pro x64 2013 Plus Build #6514, QNAP TS-219P-II NAS - Sys2: P8Z77-V-LE PLUS, i5 3570k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, TX750w PSU, GTX 560Ti DS SC, Intel 520 120GB SSD, 1TB WD Black - Sys3: Surface Pro 2 - Win 8.1 128GB

IDK
Beginner

Hi shadowsports

I got it working.  HDD on MB Sata1 and Optical drive on MB Sata6. Bios Sata6g 1-4 Achi 5-6 Ide. I even did
a restore.  It will now boot OCZ PC_BootableTools.  I didn't want ATIH2012 installed because I'm going to put in a OCZ SSD. It came with a key for ATIH2012HD. 

Anyway, I will just do a clean install and ATIH2012 boot disk should work.  Just have to learn how to
restore on SSD. I have 880G SB850 chipset btw.  Searched alot of post here and how to guides, MudCrab, etc. 
Information overload.

Thanks,

IDK

shadowsports
shadowsports's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

IDK,
Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I'm traveling at the moment. Glad all is working for you.