40528: How to create a BartPE-bootable USB with UEFI?

6 replies [Last post]
Nusaram
Nusaram's picture
Beginner

Hi,

Has anyone successfully created a BartPE USB boot disk that has UEFI?

My machine is a Surface Pro and it requires that the USB support UEFI in order to boot from USB. When I use True Image 2013 to build the boot media by itself, that works and I am able to burn the image to a USB disk and I can successfully boot from it, no issues.

But when I use BartPE to create the boot disk, it does not work at all. My Surface Pro doesn't even see that it is there; so there are no errors, which leads me to believe that the ISO image produced does not have UEFI support. Indeed, with the little knowledge I have on the matter, when I look at the file structure, I do not see an "EFI" folder or something like I see on the True Image-generated ISO image.

Are there are additional tools/steps/tricks that I need to do to enable UEFI support on the BartPE boot disk?

Note that the disk is fine and boot another PC which does not require UEFI like my Surface Pro so, again, this tells me the image is fine, but just lacking UEFI support.

The main reason I need BartPE is because when I boot, I need to have both True Image and BestCrypt Volume Encryption available.

Any help you can provide will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

The BartPe wrapper is designed for XP systems and to my knowledge the script hasn't been updated to take account of UEFI firmware systems, XP (unless it is the 64 bit version) doesn't natively work with UEFI systems, so using BartPe is not going to be possible.

I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and download ADK 4.0 (the PE version for Windows 8) then download the free Mustang PE Builder (this is like a ramped up version of BartPE and is more flexible) .

Both downloads are free - the first from Microsoft themselves and the second from http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/MustangPEBuilder/MustangPEBuilderADK.htm

ADK is about 3GB in size.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

Fedor Larin
Fedor Larin's picture
Senior Developer

At the moment it's impossible to create WinPE-based UEFI-booting media with True Image - WinPE must be 64-bit in order to boot from UEFI, True Image is 32-bit, and WinPE has no Wow64 compatibility layer to run 32-bit applications.

Mustang
Mustang's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Fedor Larin wrote:

At the moment it's impossible to create WinPE-based UEFI-booting media with True Image - WinPE must be 64-bit in order to boot from UEFI, True Image is 32-bit, and WinPE has no Wow64 compatibility layer to run 32-bit applications.

Fedor Larin is correct. MustangPE will not help you on a system that does not offer bios options to disable secure boot and go to legacy boot. UEFI secure boot requires a 64 bit OS and True Image reqiures a 32 bit system to run in WinPE. You need to go to another backup program that offers 64 bit WinPE support.

Paul Larini

Mustang's BartPE & MustangPE Plugins

Nusaram
Nusaram's picture
Beginner

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the great info/feedback; I really appreciate it.

True Image works great for me and I love, so since I'm sticking with it, then I'll have to implement my workaround. Not exactly what I wanted to do, but I have no choice at the moment.

Again, thanks!

Ian Spencer
Beginner

Does this mean I won't be able to restore Windows 7 and 8 UEFI backups or because I can boot WinPE4 USB I can still restore the UEFI partition?

Mustang
Mustang's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Ian,

As long as you can boot the recovery CD you should be good to retore all partitions including the UEFI partition.

Paul Larini

Mustang's BartPE & MustangPE Plugins