42071: The archive is corrupted (0x70020)

13 replies [Last post]
Mark Hudson
Beginner
Send PM: Send PM

Aim

Create a backup of my 80GB Windows primary C: parition.
I have a Zyxel NAS 310.

Error

Backup results in error: 0x70020

Operation with partition '0-0' was terminated.
Details:
The archive is corrupted (0x70020)
Tag = 0xF5F8CBCF76155663

Behaviour

Error occurs when the backup is created in Windows and the backup location is the NAS drive.
Validation is successful if I backup to the internal SATA drive where the Windows primary C: parition resides.
Validation is successful when I creating a backup from the boot disk.
Validation is successful if a backup made from the boot disk is subsequently validated from within Windows.

From the above, it looks as though the issue is with the creation of the .tib file within a network environment.

Steps to rectify

I followed the steps outlined in many other posts:
http://kb.acronis.com/system/files/content/2005/12/1517/png_1.htm

1. I ran "chkdsk /r" on every partition on my SATA drive to check for disk inconsistancies. None were found.
2. I ran the memtest utility over a period of 2 days. No errors were found.

Notes

This [error: 0x70020] has been a much documented issue since ATI2012. I had been running ATI2012 for a year without realising that backups made to my NAS drive were all corrupt! There were no indications of anything untoward and I learnt the hard way... The most annoying part is that unless you turn on the "Validate backup when it is created" option, you have no idea that your backup is corrupt.

I was hoping that ATI2013 would be improved, hence downloading the trial version.

It's not feasible to reboot from the CD each time I need to create an image. I can't afford the down time. I look at the boot CD as more of an emergency disk rather than a primary method of running the software.

Can anyone help?

shadowsports
shadowsports's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Hi Mark,
I remember seeing another post like this from a user with a Zyxel NAS about 6-9 months ago. I don't recall the outcome.

What I couldn't glean from your post:

Back ups to the NAS made with the BOOT CD are successful and validate correctly?

Back ups only fail (or do not validate) when a task is run within windows and the destination is a share on the NAS?

Questions:

Is the destination share on the NAS mapped in windows, or is any mapping performed by a separate Zyxel software application?

When selecting the destination... Are you using hostname\share name or NAS_IP\share name?

How is access to the destination (share) being authenticated?

Have you performed an "on the fly" back up manually (in windows) to the NAS, results?

Is there any additional information in the Acronis logs about the failures?

Sys1: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H\Corsair RM850w, 4790K, 16GB Vengeance, GTX970 FTW SC 4GB ACX 2.0, Samsung 850 Pro's RAID0 (boot), Black 1TB Win8.1 Pro, Obsidian 450D Sys2: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3\TX850w, 2600k, 16GB, GTX660 FTW SC Sig2, Force III's RAID0 (boot), Seagate 1TB , W7 Ult, HaF922 NAS QNAP TS-219PII 4TB, MyBook 4TB NAS Back Up Phone Nexus 6 - Marshmallow

Mark Hudson
Beginner

Hi shadowsports

Thanks for your post.
Here are the answers to your qustions:

Backups made to the NAS by the BOOT CD are successful and validate correctly.
Backups made within the Windows environment tend to mostly fail validation and give the 0x70020 corruption error.
There is no mapping used as I always use the full UNC path (\\NSA310\backups\WINDOWS_7)
The share is authenticated via username and password. I seem to remember a "credentials" box somewhere, where I entered these details.

Strangely from within Windows, I can get conflicting validation results for the same backup!
Today, I validated an image I created with the BOOT CD from within Windows. The first time I validated the backup, it failed at 5%. I tried again and it passed, and I got a green tick next to the backup. So should I trust the archive or not?

Thanks

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

"Corrupted" is, unfortunately, a rather non-specific error message, in spite of its rather specific sounding term. It really just means that ATI can't validate the archive, which can be caused by disk errors or connection errors, rather than any problems with the .tib file itself.

The fact that it validates sometimes and fails other times suggests to me that there's an issue with hardware or connection, rather than specifically with ATI.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

Mark Hudson
Beginner

Tuttle

Thanks for the post.
I have no hardware or connections issues I know of... Everything else works perfectly.
I followed the recommended route on the acronis support "corruption" troubleshooter and ran both chkdsk and memtest. Neither test showed any error.

Incidentally, I have tried Paragon Backup and Restore (Free version) and Macrium Reflect (Trial) in sheer desperation. Both these products create compressed archives which put the system under the same amount of stress as TI. These compressed archives pass validation, so I doubt there is a network or hardware issue. Of course, I could be wrong...

What should I try next.

Mark

shadowsports
shadowsports's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Mark,
Can you please copy (using drag and drop), one or more large files to and from your windows desktop and share on the NAS... and vice versa.

I'd like to know what happens when a .tib file for example is copied from your desktop to a share on the NAS?

Thanks

Sys1: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H\Corsair RM850w, 4790K, 16GB Vengeance, GTX970 FTW SC 4GB ACX 2.0, Samsung 850 Pro's RAID0 (boot), Black 1TB Win8.1 Pro, Obsidian 450D Sys2: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3\TX850w, 2600k, 16GB, GTX660 FTW SC Sig2, Force III's RAID0 (boot), Seagate 1TB , W7 Ult, HaF922 NAS QNAP TS-219PII 4TB, MyBook 4TB NAS Back Up Phone Nexus 6 - Marshmallow

Mark Hudson
Beginner

shadowsports

I took a backup known to be valid from the NAS and copied it to my desktop. It validated correctly.
Then I copied it back to the NAS to a different location and also found that the file was reported as CORRUPT.

I experimented by uninstalling Norton Internet Security to see if it had a bearing on the result.
However, it made no difference and I still ended up with corrupt backups.

I have noticed that the size of the backup seems to be part of the issue.
I can backup my USB flash drive (8 GB) without any validation errors. Like I said earlier, I ran chkdsk /r and it found no errors.

What now?

Michael Tissington
Beginner

I am having exactly the same issue with a QNAP NAS corruption is sometimes reported.
Other times trying to run a backup fails reporting that source or target can not be accessed. Both can be accessed, I can open a backup and copy files out of it.

As it is this software is not dependable... very disappointing. I had hoped the latest update fixed these problems.

Mark Hudson
Beginner

@Michael Tissington

I do agree that the issue we have is annoying; especially for a backup scenario which needs to be bullet proof.

Which router do you use to connect your QNAP NAS through. I use a Virgin Media Super Hub.
Clutching at straws, just wondered if the router was somehow to blame.

I may try connecting the NAS directly to the PC with a crossover cable, therefore eliminating the router.
I wonder if it is indeed possible to backup a large-ish (+-80GB) Hard Drive partition to a NAS and verify it on the NAS without the error? The loss of a single packet seems to render the backup corrupt.

I would have thought that ATI would have some error checking in place so that lost packets didn't result in a failed backup.

Michael Tissington
Beginner

I think this is an Acronis bug that they need to fix.

I have a Netgear router flashed with dd-wrt. Throughput to the QNAP is great. I've had windows 8 file backup running for several months and it never failed once.

The trouble with Acronis is that is works for several days perfectly and then starts producing errors, rebooting pc, router, qnap etc do not resolve the problem.

shadowsports
shadowsports's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Mark, Michael, MVP tuttle,

I use both 2012 and 2013 to back up multiple computers to shares on my QNAP NAS. All devices are connected via a gigabit network. Netgear 4500 router, Netgear GS108 gigabit switch. Some of the laptops are 10/100. I use AVG Free for virus protection. Some of the back ups are done in Windows, some are done via BOOT CD. I haven't experienced any problems saving files, moving or validating .tibs. At home I replicate to a second NAS.

I also handle all support for my family members. They are all running ATI 2012/Win7. I'm the only family member running win8. Their back ups are saved to remote shares (not NAS). Fulls are performed monthly with weekly incrementals and I alway retain 3 complete sets prior to deletion. The size of the fulls average 80-115GB. I validate regularly and have not received any errors. I am at a loss to explain why both of you are are having issues with back ups and validation. My experience has been consistently good and I've been satisfied with the level of data protection provided. Acronis has not failed me in many years.

As MVP tuttle points out, inconsistent validation might be an indication of another issue, not related to ATI. I know I easily have 1TB of back ups on my QNAP. I'll start validating them from windows and see what happens.

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Mark Hudson wrote:

I took a backup known to be valid from the NAS and copied it to my desktop. It validated correctly.
Then I copied it back to the NAS to a different location and also found that the file was reported as CORRUPT.

This may suggest some issue related to the NAS. Perhaps there's too much latency, or the connection is not consistent enough to satisfy ATI's validation routine.

Mark Hudson wrote:

I may try connecting the NAS directly to the PC with a crossover cable, therefore eliminating the router.

That would be a useful test. Please do that. Even better: is there a USB or eSATA connection you could use to the NAS drive, to test that?

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

Mark Hudson
Beginner

Success!

I was partly right when I thought the router was to blame.

After logging into my Virgin Media Super Hub, I disabled the Firewall from within the Advanced settings.
It looks as though the IP Flood Detection was somehow responsible for the packet loss I was experiencing.

Disabling the Firewall enabled me to make 3 valid backups of my PC's C: which I saved to the NAS. I have never previously been able to make ONE valid backup so this is a big step forward.

In the end it was just down to sheer determination, and of course the 3 people who gave me some much needed direction!
Thanks to you all. :)

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Netgear CG3101D is the router you have (Virgin Branded). IP flood detection and IP lease time are issues with this otherwise fine router.

The lease time is set to a default of 60 minutes. I would set the lease to at least 24 hours (max of about 7 days). IP flood detection trips quite a few apps up that write a lot of data through this router.

Another approach is to use a separate switch (connected to the router), connect the PC and NAS to the switch, set static IPs on the NAS and PC and set static routes (if your router supports this) between the PC and the NAS.

What I tell my friends:
It's not a problem with your computer, it's a short circuit between the chair and the keyboard!
What I tell my customers:
Whatever the problem is, we can fix it.