42942: Exchange 2013

19 replies [Last post]
Theo Jansen
Beginner
Send PM: Send PM

Is Microsoft Exchange 2013 supported in vmProtect 9.

Will this be suported in de near future or is it not possible by architecture ?

Jeremy Otten
Regular Poster

Supported versions of Microsoft Exchange: MS Exchange Server 2003 SP2+, MS Exchange Server 2007, MS Exchange Server 2010, MS Exchange Server 2013 (backup and restore of databases ONLY). Extracting MS Exchange databases located on Windows dynamic disks (LDM) is NOT supported.

Theo Jansen
Beginner

Will this be suported in de near future or is it not possible by architecture ?

Jeremy Otten
Regular Poster

That is not for me to answer ;-)

Vasily?

Vasily
Vasily's picture
Senior Program Manager, Acronis Backup

Hi Theo,

From what I know the problem with granular recovery is that the Exchange DB format had been changed in 2013 version and therefore our current methods do not work when enumerating the items. At the same time there is no API yet available from Microsoft which allows reading the "cold" Exchange DBs, so we are looking for alternative solutions right now which may be time consuming. I can't say when exactly we're going to finish the task, but it's not coming in the nearest future.

Thank you.
--
Best regards,
Vasily
Acronis vmProtect Program Manager

Best regards,
Vasily
Acronis Virtualization Program Manager

Information provided AS-IS with no warranty of any kind.

Jeremy Otten
Regular Poster

OK.. then the question.. Veeam 7 will do it.. How do they do it then when there is NO API..

Vasily
Vasily's picture

Well there are alternative ways besides having native API which can be used - that's not the only way and we will get it at some point too of course.

Best regards,
Vasily

Jeremy Otten
Regular Poster

Hmmm... http://www.veeam.com/exchange-2013-beta.html

Looking at how they do it... they explorer the .EDB file.. which looks alot like Ontrack PowerControls does... so maybe they are just using the technology of Ontrack PowerControls to do it... I know PHD Virtual also used Ontrack PowerControls as does StorageCraft® ShadowProtect® Granular Recovery for Exchange

Theo Jansen
Beginner

To bad,

i am waiting to migrate to exchange 2013, while i need brick level and/or smbr support.
we use vmProtect from the first day, but if it is not possible in the new version we unfortunately cannot migrate or have to decide to look for an other backup solution who does support exchange 2013.
Like Jeremy says there are several backup solutions who does support 2013 brick level.
Many vendors use ontrack for exchange brick level support !?

Jan Schreiber
Beginner

Hi,

after several tests i can confirm VMProtect 9 works with Exchange 2013 and Logfiles get truncated as they should. I did test restore as well and everything worked flawlessly (tested db only restore and complete VM restore).

VM:

Windows Server 2012 (+all Updates)
Exchange Server 2013 Standard (CU2)

VMWare:

vSphere Enterprise 5.1 (+all Updates)

I tested with Server 2012 beeing an active DC (and holding the GC) and with just beeing a member of the Domain. Everything worked as it should. Now just looking forward to single item recovery capability.

kind regards

Jan

Jeremy Otten
Regular Poster

Nice! and hopefully they get the FULL granular restore also working for 2013 in UPdate 1...

Vasily
Vasily's picture

Hi all,

To give a quick update: we have almost finished the implementation of Exchange 2013 granular recovery feature in a separate Acronis project, so Update 1 for vmProtect 9 has a lot of chances to have this functionality included (we will merge it from that project). We might publish a pre-release build with this feature included even before the official Update 1 announcement, but it's still too early to talk about it right now :)

Thank you.
--
Best regards,
Vasily

Best regards,
Vasily

Jeremy Otten
Regular Poster

Going Strong! Going Strong

Scott Wolfe
Beginner

Any update on full Exchange 2013 restore support?

Vasily
Vasily's picture

Hi Scott,

The granular recovery functionality for Exchange 2013 unfortunately won't be included into Acronis vmProtect 9 Update 1. This feature is included into the upcoming update for Acronis Backup and Recovery 11.5 (Agent for Exchange), but we couldn't merge it into vmProtect 9 due to significant architecture differences :( Therefore currently support for Exchange 2013 in Acronis vmProtect project is planned for the next version only (approx. middle-end of the next year).

Thank you.
--
Best regards,
Vasily

Best regards,
Vasily

Trevor Westerdahl
Beginner

I have Acronis Backup and Recovery 11.5 (Agent for Exchange)... where is the granular update? Only having the ability to backup and restore an entire database is ridiculous.

Please, where do I download it? It is February 2014... it has to be ready by now.

Vasily
Vasily's picture

Hi Trevor,

As far as I have checked with Acronis Backup and Recovery team there is already support for recovery of Exchange 2013 items in .pst format (not only entire DBs):

http://www.acronis.com/support/updates/changes.html?p=12771

So the build 38350 already contains this support. Support for recovery back into original Exchange is pending for later updates (likely _not_ Update 3)

Thank you.
--
Best regards,
Vasily

Best regards,
Vasily

Trevor Westerdahl
Beginner

I am running 38350, it does not support granular recovery. While I can see all the user's mailboxes, the content is never able to be loaded or viewed (the details of each mailbox). With granular recovery, I should be a able to recover specific items such as a specific email message. This has been promised to be released within 2-3 months more than 3 months ago.

Also, the link you provided stated that mailboxes can be exported to pst files from exchange backups. From what I can see, that is NOT by using the Acronis manager/user-interface. The only option offered for "Where" to restore on a recovery task is to select a licensed Exchange server and restore it directly to the server.  I have never had a user's entire mailbox fail. The most common scenario I get is requests to recover specific items they deleted by "accident". Since we export user's pst files and archive them prior to deleting an account, the option to export an entire mailbox is almost never required. It would be better than nothing if I could choose pst file when recovering a mailbox, and could then extract the missing items and recover them.

Honestly, I believe that link is referring to the fact that a backed up database can MANUALLY be mounted within exchange and the mailboxes then exported to .pst files via the command line/powershell interface of Exchange.

I want to know why there is still no granular recovery and I want to know, at the least, why I can't export individual mailboxes to pst files from backups using the recovery wizard with the Acronis user-interface.

Vasily
Vasily's picture

Hi Trevor,

I've just checked the 38350 build and recovery to .pst should be the default option when you do recovery of mailboxes or individual mails (both of them are supported for Exchange 2013). Note that when selecting "What to recover" you should specify to restore the mailboxes rather than "Information Store" in the drop-down list. See the attached screen shots. Do you see similar picture?

Thank you.
--
Best regards,
Vasily

AttachmentSize
exchrestore.png 472.39 KB
exchrestore2.png 431.06 KB

Best regards,
Vasily

ipsecguy
Forum Member

Has anyone tried to set this up on their end and see if it works smoothly or have some minor issues?