44393: True Image 2014 and Acronis Plus Pack

11 replies [Last post]
Chuck
Chuck's picture
Beginner

I just upgraded to Acronis True Image 2014 the 2013 version. When I installed the 2013 version, I was unable to create a functional "Boot Disk." The support service had me install Acronis Plus Pack and some other software package from Microsoft in order to make a boot disk. Can I use the boot disk that I made from the 2013 version or do I need to create a new one for the 2014 version?

CRS

Whooaahh
Regular Poster

Plus Pack is now part of True Image 2014 Premium. New name, same features as the old 'Plus Pack'. Did you purchase Standard or Premium version?

Chuck
Chuck's picture
Beginner

It is called Acronis True Image 2014. There are no qualifying terms such as "Premium" or "Standard." I guess that it is the standard version.

Do you know anything about whether I can use the boot disk from the 2013 version?

CRS

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Chuck wrote:
Do you know anything about whether I can use the boot disk from the 2013 version?

If it works on your PC, you may continue to use it to create backups and restore backups made with ATI 2013 or earlier. I would not use it to restore backups made with ATI 2014.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

LinYu
LinYu's picture
Forum Member

tuttle wrote:

Chuck wrote:

If it works on your PC, you may continue to use it to create backups and restore backups made with ATI 2013 or earlier. I would not use it to restore backups made with ATI 2014.

Why not? I am under the impression that someone stated in these forums a few months ago that ANY Acronis boot disk would do for booting a computer with a nonworking drive. Is this no longer the case or did I misunderstand what was said at the time?

Thanks for the clarification.

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

AT the risk of speaking for someone else, I bleileve he meant only that one should not use an older version to recover a backup made with a newer version -- copatibility is only guaranteed backwards, not forwards.

Be part of the discussion; Post your objective product views on Amazon and other sites.
Reading works. Get the User Guide at http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/

LinYu
LinYu's picture
Forum Member

Thanks, Scott. That makes sense. I probably misunderstood or have gotten confused about what was actually said at the time. So this means I can recover a backup done with, say, ATI 2011 using bootable media created after installing a newer version of the software. Is this correct?

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

You can use an ati2013 bootCD to recover an ati2013 and older image and you can use an ati2014 bootCD to recover any of those plus ati2014 images. W8 compatibility only reaches back to 2012 or 2013, iirc, so you have to keep that in mind.

Be part of the discussion; Post your objective product views on Amazon and other sites.
Reading works. Get the User Guide at http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/

Chuck
Chuck's picture
Beginner

Sree Kumar of the support team instructed me to create a WinPE boot disk with the 2013 version. I had to do that when I upgraded to the 2013 version earlier. Since I already had that type of boot disk, I used it to boot and restore the pc with a backup made with True Image 2014. It worked. My machine is running Windows 7 x64.

CRS

William Gault
Beginner

Chuck wrote:
I just upgraded to Acronis True Image 2014 the 2013 version. When I installed the 2013 version, I was unable to create a functional "Boot Disk."

I came here to post a similar question after installing Acronis True Image 2014 and after reading some of the comments here I realized how to get all the stuff I had before:

1) Log into the Acronis web site with your registration login.

2) Check My Products & Downloads

3) Under "Product native bootable media" you can get a downloadable ISO for a boot disc that I believe is Linux based so it may offer a better experience than what you have with Windows PE and it looks like it's regularly updated.

4) Under "Plugins" you have the option for a BartPE plugin so you can make your own PE disc.

Chuck
Chuck's picture
Beginner

I downloaded the ISO boot disc file and created a boot disc from it. I worked just fine. Thanks for the idea. I don't want to go through the ordeal of making the WinPE disc again. The procedure that I had to use in the 2013 version required me to edit the registry and install something called AIK in order to make the boot disk -- what a hassle. Thanks.

CRS

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Just fyi, the boot disk you make with ati on your PC runs linux same as the bootcd you make from the iso you get form the website. But the disk image is often a bit diff and sometimes one will work on a given machine when the other won't. Always do a test restore, at least up to the final proceed step, to be sure you can restore. Don't wait until you acdtual need to restore to find out the bootcd doesn't work!

Windows PE is something you use when other steps fail; I agree it is generally a pain compared to jsut burning an image to CD.