44528: TrueImage 2014 => vmware

6 replies [Last post]
dasfaha
Beginner

How do you take a TrueImage 2014 (.tib) file and convert this to a Vmware Image (.vdhx I think)?

In the past there was an ability in previous versions but can't seem to find this in the latest version.

I do see a way to convert to .vhd but this doesn't help with vmware as the converter can't take that format either.

Whooaahh
Regular Poster

Easy Answer:
You don't.

Long Answer:

That ability has been long gone. You have to do a Universal restore to a semi functional VM, then convert the VM using the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client so it installs all the tools required to make it functional. This is the only way I've been able to do it recently.

Don't boot the first VM either, the times I have done that, it Windows always failed to reactivate, even over the phone.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

I can never remember if VMWare can convert VHD files, but if it can, then converting the tib file to VHD within True Image may work.

The only Acronis product that is made to work with VMWare is vmProtect.

Windows 10 Pro 14279.rs1 Preview + Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM. TI2016:5518 Acronis Backup Advanced:43994, DD12:3223, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4 On a clear disk you can seek forever

Whooaahh
Regular Poster

VMware doesn't support TIB files created with TI past version 10 or so, which is why the 'That ability has been long gone'. You can still use a bootable ISO/CD to boot a VM that you manually create and restore from the backup as if it were a whole system (hence the universal restore required). We're not backing up or restoring actual VMs here, so technically, since we're dealing with Windows, it works.

It's all a MAJOR hassle, but I have made many backups of physical machines, and turned them into virtual ones this way, through trial and error.

Micky
Micky's picture
Forum Member

I may be wrong, however, the new VMWare Converter, released with VMWare Workstation 10, is said to be capable of converting Acronis True image backups to VMWare images. Didn't tried it myself, though.

cu,
Michael
TI2015 build 6613 (EN), TI2016
Windows 7 Home Premium (x32), Ultimate (x64), Windows 10 Home (x64)

ddk
Beginner

I just successfully loaded a True Image image (2011/v14) as a VMware VM on my W7 PC. It requires TI Universal Restore which I didn't have so bought TI Premium 2014 (v17). It may well work with older TI versions that have universal restore. I use VMware Player free version.
Although these instructions look involved, it actually is very easy if you follow the steps.

There is one catch that others may have a workaround for. When I create a new VM I specify a disk size. But that disk shows up in a partition manager as Uninitialized. Until its initialized, it won't show up as a valid partition to restore your TI image to. I used Acronis Disk Director to initialize the partition - but of course that's another purchase.

Another issue is where TI finds the image (.tib) file. When TI is booted from recovery media, you can hit some snags on searching for files across a network. Save yourself the bother and put the .tib file on a USB drive. You will need to mount that USB drive in you VM by right-clicking on the relevant icon at the top of the VM window and selecting Connect. You must connect the drive BEFORE booting TI otherwise TI won't find it.

1. Use TI to create recovery media as an ISO. ***Include Acronis Disk Director as well as True Image in the recovery (option only available if you have Disk Director on your PC).
2. In VMware Player, create a new VM. The first thing it asks for is where to find the OS, I pointed it at my TI recovery ISO.
Another important point is to make the disk size as big as the original partition that was imaged NOT just the size of the TIB file. Its academic anyway as VMP only uses as much space as it actually needs, but make the virtual drive too small and TI will refuse to restore to that partition.
3. The VM sees the ISO as a CD/DVD drive. It should boot from this but if it doesn't, at boot time you get an option, F2 to enter Setup which is a virtual BIOS setup. Set the boot sequence to start from the CD drive.
4. Boot into Acronis Revovery. Select Disk Director. You will find your virtual hard drive listed as Uninitialized. Initialize it. Reboot the VM.
5. Boot into Acronis Recovery. Select True Image. Use the Restore Disk function to restore your image to your new VM disk partition. If you can't see the source .tib file, read notes above. If your new VM partition is not listed as an option to restore to, read notes above.
Remember to tick the Universal Restore option. I found there was no need to specify any locations to find drivers.
6. I found after the restore had finished and TI was dealing with drivers, it gave an error saying it couldn't find the PCI driver. I selected Ignore All.
7. Reboot. If it still boots into Acronis Recovery, there will be a menu option for Windows. Select that to boot your new windows image. You can always use F2 again to change the boot order.
That's it. For me the new disk, from an unrelated PC (W7x64) ran fine on my W7x32 PC.
I tried this several times and it worked every time.

Pheckphul
Beginner

I actually just got done doing a P2V of a Windows XP MCE system that was using a 3ware 9500S RAID card using TI 2014 Premium and universal restore to switch the boot drive to IDE. Worked fine. You actually don't need the universal restore with Windows, but depending upon the version of Windows and your original boot drive hardware, you may have to know how to change the type of hardware the system is booting off of. There are plenty of how-tos that cover this. Google is your friend.

In the case where you don't own the Premium version and are dealing with an uninitialized drive, there are alternatives to using Disk Director v11, which is a POS that is still being actively sold and doesn't support Windows 8 nor does it specify this in a manner that regular consumers understand (like on a sticker on the box in big red letters that specifically states that it doesn't support Win 8!). There are a number of open source options that a person skilled enough to attempt a P2V operation should be able to use, along with a few free commercial options. (I hope I'm not violating any terms of use with this post mentioning third-party software) My personal favorite is Parted Magic, which used to be free, but unfortunately now costs $50/year with updates, or $5 for a single version. Nothing against charging for software, its just a bit steep to me. Check out Wikipedia's "List of disk partitioning software" for a fairly comprehensive list.