44860: Rescue Media Builder, not booting from USB Memory Stick

10 replies [Last post]
Micky
Micky's picture
Forum Member
Send PM: Send PM

Hi,

just created a new rescue media using the ATIH2014 Rescue Media Builder. All went well, however, after plugging in the memory stick into any USB port I was unable to boot from. The BIOS tells me that there is no valid OS on this stick.

Rest assure that I know how to boot from any USB drive, hence, my question: did anybody else use this tool to create and boot from w/o any problems?

Michael

cu,
Michael
TI2015 build 6613 (EN), TI2016
Windows 7 Home Premium (x32), Ultimate (x64), Windows 10 Home (x64)

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Micky,

Did the media builder build direct to the USB drive or are you using Grub4Dos and the recovery ISO?

In Windows does the USB drive show up and does it have what appears to be just one folder labelled Recovery? If you have a Linux system you will see the complete set of files.

Windows 10 Pro 1607:14393 + Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM. TI2016:5518 Acronis Backup Advanced:43994, DD12:3223, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4 On a clear disk you can seek forever

Micky
Micky's picture
Forum Member

Hi,

yes, the builder did use the USB drive. Windows 7, btw, properly recognizes the USB drive and shows up lots of files and folders on it.
I found one folder that got a similar name like the one you mentioned: "Recovery Manager".

Please see attached screenshot from the drive's content.

AttachmentSize
boot_media.jpg 138.98 KB

cu,
Michael
TI2015 build 6613 (EN), TI2016
Windows 7 Home Premium (x32), Ultimate (x64), Windows 10 Home (x64)

Joey
Joey's picture
Regular Poster

Is your usb drive formatted fat32? I had an issue with a PNY usb flash drive formatted by the built in windows utility not being recognized as a boot device. I used a tool called HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool to format the drive as fat32 and now it works perfectly.

http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool/3000-2094_4-109...

ak ibi
Beginner

Hi !
But I think USB drive is to be formatted in NTFS file system.

Generally, USB are formatted (default ) in FAT file system , but when we want to use USB as Bootable drive , we have to format them in NTFS system.

Please let me know whether it is correct or not !

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

ak ibi wrote:

Please let me know whether it is correct or not !

That is not correct.

I format my USB flash drives as FAT32 before using for bootable apps. I don't know if NTFS would work, as I have not tried it, but I know that FAT32 works.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

Joey
Joey's picture
Regular Poster

It seems like I read somewhere that flash drives need to be formatted fat or fat32 in order for them to operate as boot devices. I formatted one of my flash drives in ntfs and tried to use True Image 2014 to create bootable rescue media and I received a warning dialog box stating "Cannot create the bootable media because the provided media is formatted with an un supported file system. Please format the media with the FAT file system."

http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool/3000-2094_4-109...

The message your getting from bios sounds like the one I received with my pny drive. The HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool fixed mine. Just make sure you click the green box that says "cnet secure download" in it. There are a couple of ads on the page that say free download. Don't click those they link to useless registry cleaners.

tuttle
tuttle's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

You don't need any special tool to format flash drives. Windows' own format utility works fine in my experience.

I am not staff and am not paid. I provide help on a volunteer basis on my own time.

Joey
Joey's picture
Regular Poster

Micky wrote:
Hi,

just created a new rescue media using the ATIH2014 Rescue Media Builder. All went well, however, after plugging in the memory stick into any USB port I was unable to boot from. The BIOS tells me that there is no valid OS on this stick.

Rest assure that I know how to boot from any USB drive, hence, my question: did anybody else use this tool to create and boot from w/o any problems?

Michael

Above is the original post. I had this exact issue with a PNY flash drive. I formatted it dozens of times with window's built in utility and it never functioned as a boot device. I found this tool, used it once, and the drive has booted flawlessly ever since. So in my experience, window's format utility works fine most of the time. When it doesn't, I use this tool.

Techland
Forum Member

USB sticks can be 'partitioned' as USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-HDD single and multi. The first two will look like the others to you, but the computer will not boot. Download a tool called 'bootice' to change and check that.

Kodl Jodl
Beginner

Hi.
Can you please tell me what..." I found this tool....." did you used to make it bootable. Thanx for any detailed info/how-to in advance.

Kodl.