5964: Problems with Acronis True Image and Windows Vista SP2 Update installation

7 replies [Last post]
Josef Bayrhammer
Beginner

I Try to update Windows Vista SP1 towards Windows Vista SP2 (KB948465).
The installation ends with error 0x80004005. I also tried already a "Clean install", same error happens.

The following article explains the reason: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971204

Cause: When you install Vista SP2, the Vista SP2 installer must update the system boot files. If third-party disk management tools are used to "clone" disks or partitions, the SP2 installer will be unable to uniquely identify the correct system boot files.

Resolution: To work around this issue, turn off the computer and physically unplug all drives that are not required for starting Windows. Power up the computer and restart the service pack installation.
If the workaround is not successful, the alternative is to perform a clean-install.

The only third party product in this area, I use is Acronis True Image 10 and I remember, that I cloned the system partition with Acronis True Image 10 to a new disk about a year ago. I'm still using the old disk with new partitions at the same system as data store.

I'm not very happy to run through this disk unplug stuff ending up with different drive letters and so on.
Now my question: Is there any idea from Acronis to solve the problem without unpluging disks.

Best regards Josef

Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Josef:

It sounds like you have two disks in your PC that each contain the Vista boot files (the file bootmgr and the folder /boot); one on the new cloned disk and one on the older disk. This must be confusing the SP2 updater.

You should be able to unplug the older disk without causing drive letter changes. Doing this should allow the SP2 update process to complete. After updating you should be able to connect the older disk without issue.

Acronis TI 10, TI 2011, TI 2013, DD 10, DD 11 user
Amateur Radio K0LO

Josef Bayrhammer
Beginner

Hallo Mark,

Yes I have some disks on my PC, but only one system partition. This system partition contains the folder /boot and the file bootmgr,
none of the other partitions contain the folder /boot and the file bootmgr

But I run a seperate system partition and start partition (see in the following article)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314470

Best regards Josef

Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Josef:

When I was running Vista I also had a separate boot partition. The PC upgraded to SP2 without issue. In fact, I had a similar setup on my office PC and it too upgraded without issue.

I don't know why you cannot update successfully, but I would still try it with only one disk connected.

Amateur Radio K0LO

Josef Bayrhammer
Beginner

Mark:

I changed the configuration and unpuged all disks exept the systemdisk.

The systemdisk contains:
- one system partition. (512 MB FAT32).
- Some free space
- One Start partition (NTFS) containing Windows Vista Ultimate SP1.

Then I startet the Update process für Vista SP2.
It worked simular to the last tries finishing step 3/3 with 100% percent. After some additional minutes, it startet to undo the changes.
Error code 0X80004005

To be very sure, additionally I pepared "Clean install".
Then I startet the Update process für Vista SP2 again.
It worked simular to the last tries finishing step 3/3 with 100% percent. After some additional minutes, it startet to undo the changes.
Error code 0X80004005

I put an extract of the cbs.log into the attachment.

Best regards Josef

AttachmentSize
CBS_Log_Extract_2009_11_17.log 228.02 KB
Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Josef:

I counted 32 instances of the word "fail" in the log. Many of them reference the boot partition, like this one: "GetFileAttributes(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Boot\BOOTSTAT.DAT) failed!"

I recall getting installer errors like that when I had the active partition hidden on a former Vista installation. I presume that the active partition on your disk is the 512 MB FAT32 partition; correct? Is it visible to Vista or is it hidden? If hidden, try unhiding it.

Amateur Radio K0LO

Josef Bayrhammer
Beginner

Mark:

Yes my active partition is the 512 MB FAT32 partition.

But the partition is visible for Vista.

E.g. when I start the explorer, I can open this partition, named "Start(D:)". But at the partition, only hidden files like "boot" etc are stored.

Josef

Mark Wharton
Mark Wharton's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Josef:

I would suggest that you post this problem on one of the Vista forums; you'll probably have better luck than posting here. http://www.vistax64.com/ is one that you could try.

Amateur Radio K0LO