9067: Acronis can't see my USB external hard disk

1 reply [Last post]
Nizar Mahri
Beginner

Hi, I want to create a Bootable rescue media on my USB external Hard disk drive. BUT when I select "Create bootable rescue media" Acronis does not seem to see it there and only gives an ISO image or the D: drive as the two options. The hard disk is connected and has plenty of space on it (several hundred Gigs). I have read the other topics on the same question and they all say to see if you can see the external hard disk "in file/folder backup mode" as opposed to My Computer ?? I can see my external USB hard disk drive in My Computer, but how do I check "file/folder backup mode" ? Cheers. Nizar.

Scott Hieber
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

"ISO" is short for "ISO 9660", which is also sometimes caled the CDFS (Compact Disc File System) by some hardware and software providers. ISO or ISO 9660 is a file system standard published by the International Organization for Standardization (also called IOS for short). The bootable rescue media is (supposed to be) a CD. Trying to burn the optical image file (or "iso") to a hardisk results in the optical disk image being copied but, of course, not burned.

To check for disk visibilty in file/folder mode,go through steps to create a backup. Instead of My Computer, select My Data -- that's file/folder mode. Once selected as the mode, you can then select files and folders (instead of entire partitions/disks) to back up.

Grover's collection of wisdom (see stickies) includes material on making a bootable USB hadisk iirc.

Be part of the discussion; Post your objective product views on Amazon and other sites. Reading works. Get the User Guide at http://www.acronis.com/en-us/support/documentation/