9256: Acronis "Operation in Progress" window never closes

61 replies [Last post]
CJ
Beginner
Send PM: Send PM

Summary: When running a backup task the "Operation in Progress" window remains and does not close automatically. The backup works but it is necessary to cancel the operation manually.

Dear Forum, can anyone one help me with this one?

I have installed Acronis True Image Home 2010 to a new installation of Windows 7 home premium (64 bit). The problem I am experiencing is as follows:

When running a backup task the "Operation in Progress" window remains and does not close automatically. This occurs even when just backing up one file. The window gets as far as "operation status, initializing..." but the progress bar shows no progress. It is necessary to press cancel and X (top right of window) to close this status window. At this point the status of the operation in the main Acronis screen changes remains as "Running" until another task is selected when it changes to "Idle" and the Last result column to "Completed".

If one attempts to restore the backed up file, the same sequence of errors occurs but despite this the file is successfully restored.

My previous version of Acronis (Truue Image Home 10) for windows xp never did anything like this.

All ideas gratefully received...

AttachmentSize
Image of the progress window which never disappears27.8 KB

Ilya
Ilya's picture
Acronis Moderator

Hello CJ,

Please accept our apologies for the difficulties you've experienced.

Most probably, the issue was caused by the malfunction of Acronis SnapAPI driver, so to fix it, please update the driver:

• Download SnapAPI Build 503;
  • Unpack it and install with Disabled logging:

• Note that you need to reboot your PC after the installation

Please reply to this thread if the issue still persists.

Thank you.

Ilya Rasovsky

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base

Our mission is to create customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

CJ
Beginner

Dear Ilya

Thank you for your help. I have installed the fix as you instructed but unfortunately the problem remains the same. Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Chris

CJ
Beginner

Dear Ilya

I would appreciate some guidance on this problem. At the moment Acronis is not functional since I can't tell when an operation has finished or not.

Thanks

Chris

Ilya
Ilya's picture
Acronis Moderator

Hello Chris,

Please accept my apologies for the late response.

I may suggest you to re-install Acronis True Image Home 2010 completely to get rid of the issue:

1. Uninstall the software using Acronis Clean-Up Utility;
  2. Install it form scratch

Please let me know if the issue still persists.

Thank you.

Ilya Rasovsky

Our mission is to create customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

pete railton
Regular Poster

Ilya

Acronis clean up utility does not work with Windows 7!

Pete

Ilya
Ilya's picture
Acronis Moderator

Hello Pete,

The version of Acronis Clean-Up Utility I've mentioned is fully compatible with Windows 7 and Acronis True Image Home 2010.

Please click on the above link and check it.

Thank you.

Ilya Rasovsky

pete railton
Regular Poster

sorry about that, please accept my apologizies.

CJ
Beginner

Dear Ilya

Thanks for your continued help. I have done exactly as you said. However the problem remains the same.

Any other ideas?

Regards

Chris

Ilya
Ilya's picture
Acronis Moderator

Hello Chris,

Thank you for the cooperation and patience.

In your case I need some additional information to investigate the issue thoroughly and to provide you with a solution.

Could you please gather AcronisInfo utility output as described at this KB article and send me a Private Message with the collected data?

We are looking forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Ilya Rasovsky

CJ
Beginner

Hi Ilya

I have run AcronisInfo and collected the data file you need. However when I click on private message the window displays "Access Denied
You are not authorized to access this page."

Regards

Chris

Ilya
Ilya's picture
Acronis Moderator

Hello Chris,

I've sent you a Private Message with a FTP link to upload collected AcronisInfo.

Thank you.

Ilya Rasovsky

Ilya
Ilya's picture
Acronis Moderator

Hello Chris,

I've received your AcronisInfo, thank you for the cooperation.

I have forwarded your request to Expert Team who will assist you as soon as possible. I apologize for any delay you might experience in the meantime.

Thank you.

Ilya Rasovsky

Rustam Mizov
Rustam Mizov's picture
Product Unit Manager

Hello CJ!

One of the possible reasons is http://kb.acronis.com/content/1554
Most probably SNAPAPI (filter-drivers) has no enough IRPStackSize value, but I'm not sure.
Try solving the issue by increasing the IRPStackSize value.

Kind regards,
Rustam Mizov.
Director of Product Development.
Acronis team.

CJ
Beginner

Dear Rustam

Thank you for your suggestion. I have done as you instructed but it has not worked even though I set the IRPStackSize value to 50 and then rebooted. The error symptoms have not changed I'm afraid.

What do we try next?

Chris

Steven Ciminero
Beginner

Hello,

I have Acronis True Image 11 Home and in my moment of need 3 days ago, initiated a restore of my bit map backup from an external drive and am having a similar problem that could use some help! The system got to step 2 of 2 but did not show any progress on the bar indicator or any signs of either hard drive doing anything after 9 hours so I hit the upper right hand x button and stopped it but my only next option was a hard shutdown because there was nothing left but a blue screen and control-alt-delete did nothing. Now all I get is a message that the operating system can't be loaded even when I use any of the following to restart the computer: Acronis Backup Boot disk that I created, the bootable CD that came with the package, or the operating system reinstall cd. So now what? The hard drive is 2 months old because I replaced it after the only other time I tried to do a restore in January 2010....so lets not blame my new 2 month old hard drive as the source of the problem. How should I proceed? Should I get another hard drive and reinstall operating system/acronis and try again to restore and let it go for 30+ hours this time or should I just spend another 8 hours rebuilding my hard drive cd by cd the old fashion way for the second time this year?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rustam Mizov
Rustam Mizov's picture
Product Unit Manager

Hello, CJ

At the moment we are trying to reproduce the issue in the similar environment you had according to the details you provided to Ilya.
I will keep you informed on progress.

Kind regards,
Rustam Mizov.
Acronis team.

Steven Ciminero
Beginner

Rustam,

Will somone look at my situation too?

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Steven,

You might get more responses if you posted your problem in your own thread, as it will get lost in this one.

Could you post what OS you are using and what build of TI.

Is the image on an external drive or internal?

Is the external drive a USB one.

When booting from the rescue CD, can it see all your drives, and do your mouse and keyboard work OK?

What exactly do you mean by 'bit map'?

Windows 10 Pro 1607:14393 + Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM. TI2016:5518 Acronis Backup Advanced:43994, DD12:3223, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4 On a clear disk you can seek forever

CJ
Beginner

Dear Rustam

Do you have any news on progress?

Best regards and a happy Easter,

Chris

Rustam Mizov
Rustam Mizov's picture
Product Unit Manager

Hello, CJ.

Unfortunately, we couldn't reproduce the issue in the similar environment you have. Could you send the following info required for further investigation? (After backup is completed)
1) Screenshot of Windows Task manager with the running Acronis processes.
2) Dump files of the following processes:
#TrueImageMonitor.exe
#TrueImage.exe

Kind regards,
Rustam Mizov.
Acronis team.

Rustam Mizov
Rustam Mizov's picture
Product Unit Manager

CJ, please try on the latest update of ATI Home 2010.

Kind regards,
Rustam Mizov.
Acronis team.

CJ
Beginner

Dear Rustam

I have installed the latest build of the application and run it. Unfortunately the problem remains as before.

I am currently trying to send you the dump files and screenshots as your ask.

With regards

CJ

Hope
Forum Member

@cj
I have the same problem as you, I think. This has not been resolved by 7046. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate.  files.myopera.com/creegah/files/acronis%20initializing.JPG

I have posted about this before on this forum. Also, notice the fuzzy font for Operation Progress. Have mentioned that on this forum also. Are these just aberrations on my particular setup?

Rustam Mizov
Rustam Mizov's picture
Product Unit Manager

Hello, All.
I've submitted investigation task #80609 in our internal task tracking system. I will keep you informed on progress.

Kind regards,
Rustam Mizov.
Acronis team.

CJ
Beginner

Dear Hope

Yes, I also get this fuzzy font.

CJ

Matthias Holzner
Beginner

HI all.
i found a solution for this problem.
i had the same Problem, first i installed Acronis TI 10 on a new Windows 7 64Bit PC but the OS told me that the software is incompatible so i get Acronis TI 2010 and than i had the same Problem as CJ.
Solution for me was:
uninstalling Acronis TI 2010, rolback with Windows 7 system restore on a state before i installed TI10, install TI2010 and all wocks fine.

sry 4 my bad english

P_E

CJ
Beginner

Dear Matthias
Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. I've installed a lot since installing Acronis TI2010 so I'm reluctant to roll back. At the moment Acronis are still working on a fix (may not come out till TI 2011) - meanwhile I'm using another system which isn't as elegant but at least works.
Thanks
CJ

Dirk Juttemeier
Beginner

Hi all,
I am having exactly the same problem with the very latest version of Acronis. "Operations in Progress" comes up and never ends. Had the computer on all day and night and it is still there. I am running Windows 7 64 and the hard shut downs now require frequent chkdsk actions which is another pain altogether.
Did you ever get this problem resolved and how ?
Kind regards,
Dirk

CJ
Beginner

Hi Dirk
Sorry to hear that. In July 2010, Acronis support told me my problem would not be resolved until Acronis True Image Home 2011 was released. They kindly gave me a free upgrade in August 2010 and this stopped the fault. I cannot provide any technical insights however.
Hope you manage to sort it.
CJ

Stephen Perfect
Beginner

I am having the same problem, but only on Windows 7 64 bit ( SP1) - After 12hrs it still had not shut down. ACRONIS 2011 Update 1 build 6696.

I guess that there is no fix for this yet.

One thing I have noticed though is if you abort the auto shut down - I think you have 30 second to do this after the back up has completed - and then close ACRONIS 2011. Carry on using the computer say for email - internet etc then shut down you still get the message " Operations are in progress, please wait. The machine will ......." Based on a previous posting from ACRONIS this message is a result of the ACRONIS data validation process - a "safety valve". How so - if the back up has completed ok - what else does ACRONIS have to do to validate the backup during shut down - sounds a bit worrying to me as I could have disconnected the external backup drive or lost power the the pc. What about he backup integrity?

Stephen Perfect
Beginner

Found the post it is 19016

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Stephen,

YOu can disable the validation, in operations > edit backup settings, then Advanced TAB.

If this doesn't solve your "...in progress" issue, try to disable sleep on your computer. Some users report that disabling automatic sleep solved their problem.

Win 10 Pro x64 SSD - ATI 2016 Latest build

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Stephen,

YOu can disable the validation, in operations > edit backup settings, then Advanced TAB.

If this doesn't solve your "...in progress" issue, try to disable sleep on your computer. Some users report that disabling automatic sleep solved their problem.

Stephen Perfect
Beginner

Thank you for the reply.

Are you saying that the backup is not complete UNTIL the PC is shut down, if the validation option is ticked? If so it is taking over 12hrs to complete the backup on a i7 Quad core pc even if eSATA drives are used. In fact I have no idea how long the shutdown part of the backup process takes as the pc has always been powered down the following morning while displying the ....in process... message. The backup archive size is about 124GB. The power management options are set to never all that happens is the display dims after 5 mins and turned off after 10.

Are you saying that this is not a problem on a Windows 7 SP1 64 bit operating system. The resason for asking is that I do not get this massive shut down delay on a Windows 7 32 bit system with even larger backup archives that have to be validated. Also the message from ACRONIS 2011 stating that the backup is complete then does not mean the backup is complete - I would have expected the backup to be complete when ALL the tasks have been completed - this would include validation.

Pat L
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Stephen,

Other users have reported similar issues on x64 and x32. Acronis seems to have a lead and might be able to solve it.

I have seen the problem myself sporadically, but never systematically or under well understood parameters.

I cannot guarantee you will solve your problem, but this is what I am doing to avoid it: I disable automatic validation, and I schedule a weekly validation of my backup. In the advanced settings of both the backup and the validation schedule window, I disable all the options to run when the computer is idle, etc.

To be clear, this is a known bug with not clear workaround.

Stephen Perfect
Beginner

Pat,

Thank you for detailing the suggested work-a-round - I will give it a try although I'm not that happy with the method used.

Steve.

This part of the post is for ACRONIS:

However, as I have paid for my versions of ACRONIS 2011 with the expectation that it would provide a complete and reliable backup solution. I can not help feeling a little let down as it would appear one of the most important asspects of any backup, the validation, can not be reliably completed. So what is the point of the backup? In my view the validation should be part of the initiated backup process and when that process is complete you are confident that the backup you have just created can be restored. If valdation is carried out at a later date on a previously created archive you run additional risks on that achive being currupt - by then it may be a bit late!!

It is data loss and curruption that I am attempting prevent hence the use of a product like ACRONIS. As I have stated before this problem only occurs on my WIN 7 64 system. If this is a known issue when can we expect a fix.

Henrik Hansen
Beginner

I have the same issue as Stephen, and i second his opinion. I also have issues mounting images from my old computer (Vista x32) and it is also impossible to access folders (telling me i have no rights) inside the image - if i copy the folder to a local drive it works though).
But all these issues make me feel uncertain about the safety provided by this product.

Acronis must do something NOW. If not i will uninstall it and find something else.

/Henrik

Henrik Hansen
Beginner

I have the same issue as Stephen, and i second his opinion. I also have issues mounting images from my old computer (Vista x32) and it is also impossible to access folders (telling me i have no rights) inside the image - if i copy the folder to a local drive it works though).
But all these issues make me feel uncertain about the safety provided by this product.

Acronis must do something NOW. If not i will uninstall it and find something else.

/Henrik

Owen Williams
Beginner

There are a lot of threads about this issue going back some time. Acronis appear to be doing nothing about it.

I have lost data and had to rebuild a hard disk, all due to this problem.

After being a happy customer for many years, I am uninstalling True Image Home 2011 and will find another product. I just don't have the time to waste on badly written software.

So disappointed.

Douglas Laudensch...
Beginner

I work for a software development company.

This "Operations are in progress" issue is a technically simple one - there are things that True Image Home 2011 does after backups are complete or when backups are not running.

Is it validations? The development team should be able to say what operations run at other times without even looking back at their code.

Is it a widespread bug that the program isn't releasing resources? Then they should have been able to repro it easily on day 1.

This is a big source of inconvenience and disappointment with the product.

Marc Paulin
Regular Poster

Well, according to Acronis, this annoyance is working as designed.

http://kb.acronis.com/content/19016

Henrik Hansen
Beginner

As Marc write, Acronis state:"This is expected behavior. The message is displayed if there are running tasks at the time of shutdown or restart"

On my Vista x32 machine (the old one) i once had it running the whole night - in the morning the screen still showed: "Operations in progress...." - so yes, it definitely slows shutdown's down........

My oldest son is system administrator in a large company, and he talks very highly about Acronis enterprise products - they are using it for server backup and so on. Maybe the 'private/consumer' market has no real interest for Acronis and they dont appoint enough ressources to maintain the products. If that is the case, i think they should abandon the consumer market.
It would be apropriate with a comment from Acronis here!

/Henrik - Denmark.

Stephen Perfect
Beginner

OK, If the consensus is that this is expected behaviour then Acronis must be able to let us know what is in progress during the shutdown and why it takes so long to complete. If it has anything to do with the archive then I would suggest they re-word the dialog box which says the back-up is complete, because clearly it is not. Henrik – I tend to agree with you, I too think that Acronis’ focus is on the corporate market and the consumer based issues are seen as a distraction, therefore the resource made available to support the home market is watered down.

Anyone tried Norton Ghost as I am thinking of dumping Acronis as my confidence dwindles in this product, especially if Acronis have known about this issue for so long and have done nothing to resolve it. Thank you everyone for your replies - at least I’m not alone – small comfort.

Henrik Hansen
Beginner

Just for further information, i just made my first backup/image on my new Win7x64 Lenovo tonight. The behaviour was exactly the same as on my old Vista x32 machine. When i wanted to shutdown the PC, the message "Operations in progress ............" was shown and the network trafic to the fileserver was 90-100%. I made a shutdown on the fileserver - no change to the Win7 PC, still the same message.
Then i had to 'kill' the Win7 PC.
I forgot to add, that while the "Operations in progress......." was still on the screen on the Win7 PC, i tried to open the image-file on the fileserver, but got the message, that it was open by another user. This indicate to me, that some Acronis service, still are operating the image-file!!!

I would really like Acronis to guarantee, that the backup/image is 100% in order!!

/Henrik - Denmark

Stephen Perfect
Beginner

I also would like to know if the backup image is 100% else there is little point in wasting all those electrons and time creating it.

There is still no response from Acronis on this - it's a bit worrying.

Henrik Hansen
Beginner

Hi again all!
I just found this forum thread about the issue: http://forum.acronis.com/forum/14139

They have a suggestion i just tried out, and it looks as it is the explanation - when a backup is made, a validation is automaticly scheduled for the same day. This validation probably takes place when the computer is shut down. In the backup settings validation can be turned off - in a rather strange way though! (is described in the other thread)
I have tried this and will see if it works next time i make backup/image.

BUT ...... the strange things is, that if a backup takes 2½ hours, why should the validation take 8, 12 or even more hours??? So maybe it is not the full explanation ..... i really wish that Acronis will comment this.

/Henrik - Denmark

Stephen Perfect
Beginner

I see no point in creating a none validated backup and I am surprised that Acronis have known about this issue for so long and done nothing to fix it. I guess they have been too busy supporting their corporate clients to worry about individuals.

Dirk Juttemeier
Beginner

Guys, I have now ensured that all "Validation" is switched off, and it was already not activated. Still having the same issue with "operations in progress" though, when I want to shut the PC down. Always have to kill it, I'm sure that is not nice for the harddisk...
Really looking forward on some Acronis reaction or I am going back to using Norton Ghost, never had a problem then.
Cheers,
Dirk

Dirk Juttemeier
Beginner

Stephen Perfect
Beginner

Hi
For the first time I have managed to complete a backup without the "Operations in progress ......

The backup was made to a new external 500Mb USB power HDD in the root of the drive.

Here are my settings:

Backup options:
Advanced
Image creation mode - Backup sector by sector NOT ticked
Backup protection - Password entered AES 256
Pre Post commands - None
Backup splitting - None
Validation - "Validate backup when created" Ticked Regular validation monthly
Advanced settings only the "Run validation only when computer is idel" Ticked
Then I clicked the "Do not schedule" button
Backup reserve copy NOT Ticked.
Removable media settings: Ask for ..... Ticked
Screenshot settings: Take screenshot ...... NOT Ticked.
Error handling: Only the "When not enough .... Ticked.
Computer shutdown Ticked.

This worked on my WIN 7 SP1 64bit OS.

What I am not sure about is why Acronis make you go through the process of setting up a scheduled validation only to have the option not to schedule it and then it still shows it as a monthly sceduled event in regular validation.

Steve.