9385: Temp files in Itzam Folder

22 replies [Last post]
Gregory Brown
Beginner

I am attempting to restore a backup.

I have moved my TEMP and TEMP user environment variables to a 1TB partition.

However I have having very large files created in the ‘C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\Temp\Itzam’ folder. These files are named similar to ‘SOKHDETT~DemonData.swapFile.dat~’. These files are filling up the c:\ partition.

How can I have these file created in an alternate location where I have more disk space?

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Gregory,

I assume you are running XP 32 bit?

What Acronis product and build are you using - ABR10, TI2010 or ABS2010?

Is Itzam one of your user names?

At this second I'm suspecting you have a 'nasty' at work on your system, as to my knowledge there is no Acronis file name similar to that stated above.

If I am correct, I would boot into XP safe mode, delete the contents of your XP auto restore option. Delete the contents of the Temp folder, make sure your firewall and A/V anti Worm etc package is up to date - reboot back into XP itself (perhaps physically disconnected from the internet) and run a deep scan of your system.

It may also be worth waiting a little while and see if other suggestions come up, as I could be wrong on my suspicions.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

Anton
Anton's picture
Forum Star

Hello all,

Thank you very much for your posts.

bodgy,

I really appreciate your assistance!

Gregory Brown,

I will certainly help you with this. The Itzam folder is created during a file backup to store temporary information about the backed up file. After a successful backup, that information is removed from the Itzam folder and is included in the .meta folder, where all the information regarding backups is stored.

Unfortunately, at the moment, it will not be possible to change the location of the Itzam folder, however, I can recommend a small workaround to get through this issue. Instead of one file backup, which is probably very large, I would recommend creating several smaller file backups and let them run one after the other. You can also create a partition backup, this way there will be no need for the Itzam folder.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.

Anton Deev

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base and Video Tutorials.

Check our Corporate and Consumer Handbooks and Online Documentation for help on managing your account, products and support.

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Marcus Hoffmann
Beginner

Hello, I have the same problem, just let me know if I can delete manually all content of the Itzam folder without harming my backups????

Thank you

Marcus Hoffmann
Beginner

I did that and now I lost all personal vaults somehow, loading takes infinity....any idea ???

Anton
Anton's picture
Forum Star

Hello Marcus,

Thank you for replying. I will definitely help you with this problem.

The Itzam folder stores temporary information about file backups. The long loading times indicate that the whole process needs to be repeated, the Itzam folder needs to recreate its contents.

Alternatively, you can try deleting the personal vaults but keep your backups in them and then re-create them.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.

Anton Deev

Check our Corporate and Consumer Handbooks and Online Documentation for help on managing your account, products and support.

Our mission is to create Customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

Anton
Anton's picture
Forum Star

Hello all,

Just in case, wanted to provide our Forum community with an update.

We just released a KB article that talks about the Itzam folder in great detail. You can find it here:

- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10:"Itzam" Folder

Thank you.

Anton Deev

Marcus Hoffmann
Beginner

Hello again,
the last 2 years I passed with the same problem, periodically (about 1 week), the ITZAM folder is full of these temporary files and soon the partition is full. Rebooting the services and deleting manually these files is the only way to get out of the situation (deleting all backup jobs and recreating them is also required). Now I have the same problem also during a recover operation, which creates some of these temporary files but it does not delete them after the recover process finished. So is there a final solution to get rid of all these annoying problems ???
By the way, you mentioned the the KB article which does not solve any problem, the content is already well known....this is not what costomers expect....

Hope you can help...

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Marcus,

What version and build are you using?

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

Marcus Hoffmann
Beginner

Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 update 5 build 10.0.13762

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

The only reason I asked is that Acronis are unlikely to be fixing any nasties still left in ABR10 as they've moved on to version 11 and at some time in the near future an intermediate version.

Whether the problem is fixed in ABR11 I don't know, though I haven't recalled seeing any posts about it, but that might be because more users make complete disk/partition images than file backups.

I'll see what happens with ABR11 and report back to you as I also only make partition images.

Colin

Marcus Hoffmann
Beginner

Hi Collin, following your advice I started to make incremental backups on partition. The first attempt failed with the error message (there were around 1.7 TB free on the external NAS):
--------------Log Entry Details
----Type: Information
Date and time: 07.08.2012 23:30:19
Backup plan: FileServer50
Task: Incremental backup
Code: 262'145(0x40001)
Module: 4
Owner: Administrator@ISTFS
Additional info:
--------------------
Error code: 1
Module: 4
LineInfo: 7ceb2cdc9fb12027
Fields: function : ReadFile
--------------------
Error code: 65520
Module: 0
LineInfo: bd28fdbd64edb8bc
Fields: code : 2147943850
Message: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service
--------------------
-------------

So do you think upgrading to Version 11 will help????
Can I get a trial upgrade for 2 weeks, otherwise I do not see how to continue with Acronis, since the beginning I had many problems.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Marcus,

What NAS do you use? I know in the past Acronis products have had problems with some Synology NAS devices.

Have you checked that there are no problems with any of your drives by running chkdsk /r ?

There is a trial version of ABR11 which lasts for 15 days.

Colin

Marcus Hoffmann
Beginner

Hi Colin, I use a QNAP TS-439, I don't know if there are problems with that device....

Marcus Hoffmann
Beginner

I tried now no reinstall ACRONIS on another partition, since there is not much space left on c:\. When I launch the installer per default the installation path is set to c:\Program Files and it shows immediately that there is no enough space. When I try to change to another partition with 48 GB free, it still shows that there is not enough space left, even using the TRY AGAIN button.
So I cannot reinstall at all....guys, could you imagine what I think about ACRONIS.....????????

Marcus Hoffmann
Beginner

I read that ACRONIS uses always the TEMP path on the system drive, I have 720 MB free on c:, obviously this is no sufficient....

Marcus Hoffmann
Beginner

...so I try temporarely change the system environment variable %TEMP%

Miguel Arroyo
Miguel Arroyo's picture
Forum Support Professional

Hello Marcus!

Thank you for using Acronis Products.

You probably do not have enough space to gather the temporal files for the installation.

In such case I suggest you to release as much space as you can:

• Uninstall Acronis first if you have some components still installed.
  • Run a run clean up task of your C:\ drive.
  • Try to run the installation package from another partition or external USB so it will not use such space.
  • Move the temporal folder TEMP: Right click on My Computer - Properties - Advanced tab - Environment Variables button - Edit TEMP value

If you are still facing difficulties, please contact Acronis Customer Central.

If there is something else I can do for you, please let me know.

Thank you, have a good day!

Miguel Arroyo

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base and Video Tutorials

Marcus Hoffmann
Beginner

Hi Miguel, yes, you are right, Acronis creates these temporary swap files, but not only in the folder mentioned above, but also in C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp. It happens that these big files remain forever there and slowly fill up drive C:\
So now I check every week both directories for these temporary files and clean it up by hand....hope Acronis fixes this one day....

greetings
marcus

John Sullivan
Beginner

On our Windows 2003 Server I use Acronis Backup and Recovery 11 and it's filled up over 100GB of these stupid DemonData.swapFile.dat files in the C:\Documents and Settings\Acronis Agent User\Local.....Temp\ folder.

1) Why aren't these being automatically removed?
2) How to fix that? Babysitting is not a proper server maintenance scheme!

3) Can these be manually removed for now without harm to the backups?

I have no other location to put these backups than where they are now externally, so I need this to work without damaging what we have backed up already.

HELP!

dev-anon
dev-anon's picture
Forum Star

The article http://kb.acronis.com/content/12062 states that all there files are automatically deleted after backup or restore operation. So I assume that 1) it's safe to delete all its content when backup operation is not active and 2) It's not normal that they are not deleted automatically. Ultimate advice is to contact support regarding this, but -
Does a new file appear and is not removed after each file backup? Even a test one of a small folder to a local drive? Then it would be easy to check if some software is locking these temp files and prevents their deletion.

John Sullivan
Beginner

Our support contract expired earlier this year, so this forum is the only way I can get support now (too bad I hadn't noticed it earlier while we had support).

I manually deleted thousands of files today. I haven't tested a restore yet to see if it works (I'd seen another user say their restores and backups now didn't work.)

How can I find out why these aren't being deleted? It creates about 5 files a day.

dev-anon
dev-anon's picture
Forum Star

Apparently it creates these files when it runs file backup. Run a file backup of a small folder (maybe several files) , check if it left such temporary file after backup. If yes, run it again with Process Monitor utility running, find the name of the next leftover file, search the process monitor log for its name. If you have an antivirus running, add AAcornis executables and C:\Documents and Settings\Acronis Agent User\ to exclusions.