9401: Don't want to schedule. Want to do it NOW.

5 replies [Last post]
Pogle
Beginner

I want to be able to start several tasks at once manually. If you make this possible I will buy it.

I want to create several backup tasks including a full image of the C: drive and various file backups of D:, E:, etc partitions. Then I want to be able to select any or all of these tasks and set them to run one after the other. I don't want to schedule this. I can't say what day or what time in the future this will be convenient for me. And I don't want it happening whenever I shut down. My backup disk might not be ready or I just might not have time. I just want to be able to go in at a time of my choosing, select the various tasks, click run and walk away. Perferably with a shutdown-on-complete checkbox.

Surely this is the simplest most flexible way to operate. I'll upgrade when it's possible.

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Any of the TrueImage Home versions (past and present) can be run from a variety of desktop shortcuts implemented by the user via a mouse click.

For example, this is the path used to create an XP Pro desktop shortcut for version 2009:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageHomeService.exe" /script:"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts\7979927F-8CB0-4380-ACE5-53DE74528036.tib.tis"
This command line of information can be pasted from Notepad directly into a desktop shortcut; or Windows scheduled task; or batch file; or cmd file. (Substitute your path and your unique script id in place of this script id).

Basically, a few pieces of path information is needed to recreate the task above.
1. Create a scheduled or non-scheduled TrueImage task to perform each backup scenario.
2. Determine the script id assigned to that task. (user Explorer and open your scripts folder. Note the date and time of script creation. The most recent should be your newly created task (item in red). Or, open the task in Notepad and confirm the id.
3. (Blue) Determine Full path to the exe file. (File search or copy the path from the StartMenu option created by the program install.) Path may vary depending upon Windows OS is use.
4. (Green) Determine Full path to the .tis file(tis is true image script stored inside the Scripts folder.)
5. (Red) Exact script id of the scheduled or non-scheduled task. (Inside Scripts folder)
6. Note there are two required sets of quotes within the command as shown in the example.

Your path can be found via this link
http://forum.acronis.com/forum/5825#comment-13679
(Item 3 above) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageHomeService.exe"
(Item 4 above)
/script:"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts\7979927F-8CB0-4380-ACE5-53DE74528036.tib.tis"

(Item 5 above) 7979927F-8CB0-4380-ACE5-53DE74528036

If you are interested, more information can be supplied. Which version of Windows? What type backups tasks are you contemplating?
If you are contemplating the use of incremental or differential backups, the first run must be from within the opened TrueImage program.Any subsequent runs can be from the desktop shortcuts.

Post Edited. Content from post #5 below added so this post is more complete.

GroverH wrote:
However, be aware that the first backup MUST occur from within the TrueImage program either via a scheduled time or manually use the start option. After the first backup occurs, then you can run your shortcuts or a batch file with a combination of shortcuts. If you do not run the first backup from within the TI program, then the backups will occur but each backup will overwrite the last and you will never have incremental or multiple copies, etc. Running the first backup from within the program causes the backup option to switch from create a new full backup to a revised "add to existing" option. Thus, allowing for the creating of incremental or multiple copies.
additional Link
http://forum.acronis.com/forum/8500

---------------------------------------------
Edited Oct 2010,
This link can also provide more information:
http://forum.acronis.com/forum/14935

Pogle
Beginner

Hi Grover
Many thanks for your detailed reply. I think I understand most of it. However, will this method allow me to run more than one task with a single (double-)click as is my aim? Or do I need to create a separate shortcut for each task.

In any case, now you've shown me how the files hang together I tried something else which might suit my purpose even better. I created two small file backup tasks. I then opened both resultant .tis files in a text editor. From one of them I copied the XML from <uuid> to </common_options> and pasted it into the other script file just after </common_options>. Then saved the file which now contains the information for both tasks. Some renaming of the contents of the <description> tags ensured the task names were all unique (watch out - there are two <description> tags in each task). Running the task corresponding to the altered script within TI produced two archive files as expected. I've tried it with an full image backup and one file backup and that seems to have worked too.

On a hunch I tried creating a script file using just the portions between the <stage> tags but that came up operation failed. I'd be interested in hearing comments on this approach and whether there are potential pitfalls.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

What you really want is a batch file that once clicked, wanders off and calls Task 1 and then Task 2 once Task one has finished and so on, finally issuing a Windows shutdown command.

Colin

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + XP Pro SP3 32 bit + Vista Ult 64bit + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM.
TI Lite:3029, TI2014:6614, ABR11.5A WRKST Adv:37975, DD11 Advanced WRK:12603, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4

On a clear disk you can seek forever

Pogle
Beginner

bodgy wrote:
What you really want is a batch file that once clicked, wanders off and calls Task 1 and then Task 2 once Task one has finished and so on, finally issuing a Windows shutdown command.

Well, yes although what I REALLY want is for the functionality to be built into the program. For example, I've been using Cobian where you set up various tasks which appear in a list similar to TI except you can Ctrl-Click multiple tasks and set them all running at once in series.

(Having installed TI 2010 as a trial I see there's a shutdown-when-complete checkbox now, so that's progress.)

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Forum Hero

Responding to your question in post #2, a desktop shortcut can only perform one task. However, as Bodgy stated, you could create a batch file and post the contents of the several shortcuts into the batch file and the backups would occur one after the other.

However, be aware that the first backup must occur from within the TrueImage program either via a scheduled time or manually use the start option. After the first backup occurs, then you can run your shortcuts or a batch file with a combination of shortcuts. If you do not run the first backup from within the TI program, then the backups will occur but each backup will overwrite the last and you will never have incremental or multiple copies, etc. Running the first backup from within the program causes the backup option to switch from create a new full backup to a revised "add to existing" option. Thus, allowing for the creating of incremental or multiple copies.

I haven't experimented with your method of combining tasks. If you were a programmer, I would think creating your desired method of selecting from a group of choices would be relatively easy. Good luck.