9449: An attempt at a tutorial for creation of WinPE bootable media using Acronis WinPE ISO Builder from Plus Pack

59 replies [Last post]
Gary Darsey
Regular Poster

This is an attempt at a tutorial at creating WinPE bootable media.  I have tried to paste images into this editor without success, so I will try to attached JPEGs - sorry if this is not convenient, but I am new at this activity.

This tutorial assumes that the Plus Pack has been installed.  It also assumes that the Microsoft Windows AIK has been installed.  With only a minor (but important, I feel) exception, nothing is altered from a fresh installation.

Acronis very thoughtfully includes a version of the A43 File Management Utility with BartPE plug-in (which is also used for the WinPE build).  THIS IS A GREAT UTILITY, and can be updated to the latest release very easily.  If you don't think having the lastest A43 is important, just ignore this part of the tutorial.

Download the latest A43 from it's home on the web http://alterion.us/a43/ and install it.

Replace the A43-related files that appear in C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\BartPE\Files with the ones from the A43 installation. 

The A43 File Management Utility is very useful in the WinPE environment, which is command line based, and Windows Explorer won't run.  Again, you don't need to update these files - this can be done later when you start to enjoy customizing your WinPE build.

This initial tutorial is aimed at "Creating the PE 2 or PE 3 ISO with the plug-in from scratch" as mentioned on page 132 of the manual, section 15.3.2.  These procedures were completed on my "vintage" XP Pro SP3 machine using PE 2.

The first matter to take care of is creating the Windows PE Build Environment.  This is done via command line interface.  As this build will not include any customization, creating the build environment will be the ONLY command line activity required (in case you have an aversion to CLI).

My Start Menu has a Windows PE Tools Command Prompt entry, but you can also get this command prompt by Start->All Programs->Microsoft Windows AIK->Windows PE Tools Command Prompt.  You are at the proper folder and do not have to enter "cd Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\" as stated in the manual.

You do have to run the copype.cmd script as shown.  You can look at the command script if you want to make sure that it is doing nothing nefarious. 

Now the build environment is created.  The folder structure is show at the below picture.

No more CLI!  Now for the Acronis WinPE ISO Builder.

Again, I have a Start Menu item Acronis WinPE ISO Builder, but this can be reached by Start->All Programs->Acronis->Plus Pack for True Image Home 2010->Acronis WinPE ISO Builder.  The opening screen is shown as below. Select Next to continue.

Select the path as shown in then next screen.  Otherwise you will get either an error message or the next screen will be different.  Select Next to continue.

If all is well you should get the next screen. Make sure the selection "Add components and build an ISO" is the active one with the radio button.  Select Next to continue.

The next screen is shown on the below picture.  You shouldn't have to change anything here is the preceding steps were followed - what is shown is the default.  Select Next to continue.

Unlike what is stated in the manual, you don't have to (or are even given the option to) specify the path for the Acronis plug-in file or look for anything in the registry.  It is by default C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\BartPE.  Make sure the files are there before continuing.

The summary action screen appears as shown at the next picture..  Select Next to continue.

You will see a variety of little windows pop up with clocks, progress bars, and messages similar to Copying Source WIM-file..., Mounting WIM-File..., Updating WIN-File components..., Unmounting WIM-File..., Building ISO Image... until the reward window appears, shown as following:

Now the C:\winpe_x86\ISO\ folder has a newly minted AcronisMedia.ISO file as shown.  Burn this to a CD (I use Nero), and you have a WinPE bootable disk.

As stated in the manual, Acronis True Image Home starts automatically.

A few notes about the base WinPE environment:

If WinPE can't detect video settings (and it can't on my system), it uses a resolution of 640x480 pixels.  This is tolerable, and I have found a way to fix this, but not in this basic WinPE build.

No 16-bit (DOS) applications will run in WinPE, because Windows on Windows is not supported.

Once you close Acronis True Image Home, you will wind up in a command prompt window.  Find you way to the A43 folder (under trueimagehome) and start A43 to begin nosing around.

To get out of A43, enter "exit" at the command line prompt, and you system *should* reboot.

VBScript support is inherent in the WinPE environment.  Support for Windows Script Host can be added (I have done this).

You can also add you own tools to a WinPE build (I have done this too, such as an universal file editor and command line utility for changing screen resolution).  If there is any interest, and I can find the time, I can put together tutorials showing how to do this.  I see that I can attach PowerPoint files - I'll have to see if this may work.

I hope this inital tutorial helps someone somewhere.  I see great potential for the WinPE environment beyond as a platform for True Image Home, will very flexible functionality for customized recovery needs.

An addition from Acronis Forum Moderator:

Here are the links to Windows AIKs (Automated Installation Kits):

AIK for Windows XP and Windows Vista (PE 2.0)
AIK for Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 (PE 2.1)
AIK for Windows 7 (PE 3.0)

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Legend

I, for one, would like to thank Gary for his investment of time. This was no easy task and hopefully others will benefit from his willingness to invest his time so others creating the same item will be easier and much quicker. A picture is worth a thousand words. A nice effort!

Grovers status = Inactive    1. Grover's New Revised Guides    4.  2014 Cleanup    2015 Cleanup    5. Attachments/How   7. TI 2015 FAQ.
2. Create BKU Tasks >   2011_2012_2013    2A. Using 2014    6.  Help  2016  2015 2014  2013       8.  Stop Scan for Backups   8A.  ATIH Video's
3.  Create new disks-Guides.    9.  Register/Downloads     10.  Mustang's New Guides   11.  Les Seiler's Backup Video

Ilya
Ilya's picture
Acronis Moderator

Hello Gary,

On behalf of the whole Acronis Customer Central I'd like to thank you for your work. We really appreciate your efforts!

I've slightly modified your post to include pictures into the body and made it sticky.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any suggestions on the another tutorials or just an additional questions.

Once again, thank you very much for your help.

Ilya Rasovsky

Acronis Customer Central | Acronis Backup Software

For more answers to your questions, try our Knowledge Base

Our mission is to create customer success. Our management team welcomes your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the overall support we provide to you. Please send your comments, suggestions, or concerns to Managers or submit your feedback here.

rkh
Regular Poster

Thank you Gary!

FYI, the first two AIK links point to the same page.

Gary Darsey
Regular Poster

Thanks rkh-

Looking around, I found three AIK downloads from Microsoft:

#1 -

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c7d4bc6d-15f3-4...

Description of #1 (This is WinPE 2.0)

Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK)

Quick Details
File Name: vista_6000.16386.061101-2205-LRMAIK_EN.img
Version: 1
Date Published: 2/13/2007
Language: English
Download Size: 992.2 MB

System Requirements
• Supported Operating Systems: Windows Vista
• Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003 SP1; Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista
• Windows XP SP2 with KB926044
• Windows Server 2003 SP1 with KB926044
• Windows Server 2003 SP2
• Windows Vista family

#2 -

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=94BB6E34-D890-4...

Description of #2 (This is WinPE 2.1) -

Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008

Quick Details
File Name: 6001.18000.080118-1840-kb3aikl_en.iso
Version: 936330AIK
Date Published: 4/9/2008
Download Size: 1375.9 MB

System Requirements
• Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2008; Windows Vista
• Windows Vista
• Windows Vista Service Pack 1
• Windows Server 2008
• Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 with KB926044
• Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2
• Windows XP Service Pack 2 with KB926044

#3 -

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=696dd665-9f76-4...

Description of #3 (This is WinPE 3.0)-

The Windows® Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows® 7

Quick Details
File Name: KB3AIK_EN.iso
Version: 1.0
Date Published: 8/6/2009
Download Size: 1706.6 MB

System Requirements
• Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7; Windows Server 2008
• Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 2
• Windows Vista SP1
• Windows Server 2008 family
• Windows 7 family
• Windows Server 2008 R2 family

I have been working with #1. I might try #2, since it also supports XP (I use #1 with SP2 just fine).

Thanks for pointing this problem out!

Edmund Tsuji
Beginner

Thank You!!! Gary.

Verndog
Beginner

Thank you Gary..

I guess I'm still at a loss here as to where to start. I just purchased the Plus Pack to upgrade my Win7 x32 to a new machine I'm building later this week. So, obviously I dont want to burn 140 gigs to a DVD set, I want to burn this to my new hard drive. What is the easiest way to migrate my current complete system to the new machine? I dont care about a recovery DVD if its not necessary (if I can load boot files to new drive). At this point I see no instructions in the product ducumentation, or even my searches here that deal with migration to new system from 1 c: drive to another. I do have a drive dock to install all required data to the new drive from my current win7 build. I thought this would be a straight forward transition, but the total lack of instructions on where to begin is a pretty darn sad beginning to the process!

True Image Home 2010 build 6053 w Plus Pack
Win 7 x32
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0ghz 4.0g ram

Gary Darsey
Regular Poster

Verndog-

There may be some confusion as to what the purpose of the WinPE bootable media is. You are not setting up a whole Win7 operating system on DVDs. This tutorial is just for the creation of a WinPE-based bootable media, a function that is part of the Plus Pack, not the entire Plus Pack. I believe what you are talking about is the Universal Restore functionality provided by the installed Plus Pack with True Image. The WinPE bootable media provides a means to running True Image with Universal Restore - that is all. You need the Universal Restore capability to migrate your system to new hardware. This topic is discussed more fully here:

http://www.acronis.com/r/support/en/kb/502/aur_restore.html

I've also attached a PDF file I created from this reference, if that would help.

This tutorial is aimed at only one aspect of the Plus Pack: how to use the Acronis WinPE ISO Builder by making a little more clear the instructions from section 15.3.2 "Adding the Acronis Plug-in to WinPE 2.x or 3.0" on pages 132-133 of the True Image Home 2010 manual, which I have also attached. Universal Restore is discussed briefly on pages 25-26 and 103-104

I apologize for any confusion about the aim and scope of this tutorial.

AttachmentSize
acronis-universal-restore1.pdf 3.32 MB
TrueImage2010_UserGuide.en_.pdf 8.81 MB
thomasjk
Frequent Poster

Verndog.

As Gary explained in his latest post the tutorial is for creating a WinPE based recovery environment. You don't need to to do this. You can create a standard Linux based Recovery disk with universal restore. See this knowledge base post http://kb.acronis.com/content/5410. The issue that generally occurs with the Linux based recovery cd is a lack of drivers to recognize the hard drives. Acronis also offers the Isolinux download media available in your account for the Plus Pack.
Using the Winpe based environment gives you windows drivers which are far more common than Linux drivers. You can add drivers to the WinPe environment but not the Linux environment. Its extra work for WinPE but in my opinion its worth the effort.

Tom K.

Gary Darsey
Regular Poster

As pointed out by thomasjk, it is not necessary to create a WinPE based recovery environment. It is one of the alternatives for bootable rescue media, and you must have this in order to do a system migration, or really any recovery. I have four different bootable recovery media with Plus Pack/Universal Restore on them: ISOLINUX (from a link provided to me by Ilya through a PM - if you have registered your True Image Home and Plus Pack he would provide you with the link too if asked), Acronis loader Linux, BartPE, and WinPE. I prefer the WinPE version myself (hence why I created this tutorial), since I think it provides the most flexibility through user customization. In your case of system migration, you could actually provide a "driver bank" of all necessary drivers for the new system along with the WinPE media, either loaded into memory or stored on the bootable CD, which Universal Restore can then access as a disk once in the WinPE environment. Again, this customization is not necessary, since all bootable media are loaded into memory, and you could always have the drivers available on a separate CD.

Gary Darsey
Regular Poster

thomasjk is correct that the ISOLINUX download in your account for the Plus Pack gives the proper version - when I had originally downloaded it, only the base version ISOLINUX was available, but now the downloadle bootable media are correct for each version. So there is no need to get a link from Ilya.

The tab for this download is "Bootable Media" with the following product description:

Product native bootable media
Build: #6053 Size: 36.34 MB
Date: November 23, 2009

and although the description is the same for the base version and the Plus Pack, the ISO files are different.

Verndog
Beginner

Thank you for the PDF downloads! Where did you find these? I didn't see this included with the Add on pack...if I had I'd have saved a ton of frustration. Looks like you make a new bootable recovery disk with Universal Recovery installed from the Plus Pack, make a full backup to external hard drive, Boot from recovery disk on new machine to Universal Recovery, do the restore (may need MB drivers to complete)....basically done??

Wow...was I off in the wrong direction!!

True Image Home 2010 build 6053 w Plus Pack
Win 7 x32
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0ghz 4.0g ram

Gary Darsey
Regular Poster

The original link to the True Image Manual is from the Acronis website:

http://download.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImage2010_UserGuide.en.pdf

The PDF file above is the same thing, I just uploaded it from my system.

The Universal Restore PDF was made from the link the Acronis Knowledge Base given in Post #7 above.

Universal Restore in other True Image products is discussed briefly in the following manuals:

http://download.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImageWorkstationEcho_ug.en.pdf (Sections 3.7 and 7.3.12)

http://download.acronis.com/pdf/TrueImageWorkstation9.1_ug.en.pdf (Sections 3.7 and 7.3.11)

thomasjk
Frequent Poster

See my post here http://forum.acronis.com/forum/6906#comment-25458 documenting my successful use of Universal Restore.

Tom K.

Gary Darsey
Regular Poster

Acronis WinPE ISO Builder Tutorial - Part 2

The first part of this tutorial focused on creation of a WinPE ISO file containing True Image Home 2010. Creation of an ISO file is one of two possible outcomes of running the WinPE ISO builder. The other possible outcome is the creation of a WIM image file (a Windows Image file) containing Acronis True Image components. This WIM file is NOT, under circumstances applicable for most users, directly used for booting the recovery environment. This WIM file needs to be used in Windows PE Tools build environment to build the ISO file using command line utilities provided by the WAIK. This WIM file can also be used as a basis for further customization, but this process is not discussed in this tutorial - it is an activity largely carried out by command line tool manipulation of the WIM file via the Windows PE Tools build environment, and this process is described in the help documention of the WAIK.

I have attempted to cover all aspects of the Acronis WinPE ISO Builder that I could think of. Hopefully, between these two tutorials, anyone interested can create bootable WinPE-based ISO media running Acronis True Image Home 2010.

SPECIFICS OF THE ACRONIS WINPE ISO BUILDER WIZARD

The Acronis WinPE ISO Builder wizard is a series of up to five screens, two of which are informational, and three of which require path/file specifications or build procedure choice from the user. These screens are as follows:

1) Welcome screen (first wizard screen shown in the first part of the tutorial - informational only).

2) WinPE Files Location (second wizard screen shown in the first part of the tutorial - path/file specification needed).

3) Building Mode (third wizard screen shown in the first part of the tutorial - build procedure choice of user chose via radio button). Depending on the information provided in screen 2), the Building Mode screen may or may not be shown.

4) Output File Location (fourth wizard screen shown in the first part of the tutorial - path/file specification needed).

5) List of Operations/Summary (fifth wizard screen shown in the first part of the tutorial - informational only, allow user to Proceed or go Back and change input of earlier screens). Upon choosing Proceed, the successful completion popup window appears on this screen.

Starting with the first two wizard screens from the first part of the tutorial, where the path c:\winpe_x86\ISO\ is specified in the WinPE Files Location screen, let us choose the other selection on the Building Mode screen as shown below:

Choosing this building mode WILL NOT LEAD TO THE CREATION OF A BOOTABLE ISO FILE. If you choose this option, you will need to build the ISO file yourself after the Acronis WinPE ISO Builder is done, using the WIM file created which contains Acronis True Image components. But if you wish to create a WIM image file, select Next to proceed with the process, which will bring you to the Output File Location screen shown below:

Selecting Next will bring you to the List of Operations/Summary screen shown below:

The path c:\winpe_x86\ISO\AcronisMedia.wim is the default, but for a variety of reasons, this is not the best location for the AcronisMedia.wim file to be located. It is better to select Back and change the target path in the Output File Location screen as shown below:

The selecting Next will bring you again to the List of Operations/Summary screen as shown below:

Selecting Proceed will lead to creation of the WIM file as specified as shown below:

There is another method for creating a WIM image file containing Acronis True Image components using the Acronis WinPE ISO Builder. On the second screen of the wizard, the WinPE Files Location screen, you can provide the full path to the original winpe.wim file (set up when the copype command is run as described in the first part of the tutorial) as shown below:

If the full path and filename for the winpe.wim file is specified this way, the Building Mode screen IS NOT shown (it is assumed if you are specifying a WIM file that you want the output to be an altered WIM file), but rather you are taken directly to the Output File Location screen as shown below:

This file location is fine (it is the same as specified earlier), so selecting Next leads to the List of Operations/Summary screen as shown below:

Selecting Proceed leads to the creation of the specific WIM file containing Acronis True Image components as shown below:

It is possible to confuse the Acronis WinPE ISO Builder by providing ambiguous information in the WinPE Files Location screen. The information provided on this screen must be either of the following: a) a path pointing at all the required files for ISO file creation or WIM file modification, OR b) a full path/filename specification to a WIM image file to be modified. If improper information is provided, a Confirmation prompt is shown that informs you that you have successfully confused the wizard. For instance, if the path is given in the WinPE Files Location screen (the second screen of the wizard) as shown below:

and Next is selected, the Confirmation prompt will appear as shown below:

Do not select Yes. Select No, go back to the WinPE Files Location screen of the wizard, and enter the proper information as shown earlier.

Between these two tutorials, the two possible outcomes of the Acronis WinPE ISO Builder have been demonstrated:

1) Creation of a bootable ISO file containing Acronis True Image.

2) Creation of a Windows image file (WIM file) containing Acronis True Image components, which must then be built into an ISO file via command line tools provided by the WAIK.

There are two methods for producing outcome 2) above, depending on information provided in the WinPE Files Location screen (the second screen of the wizard).

The List of Operations/Summary screens from these three wizard procedures are shown below:

The above summary is from the creation of a bootable ISO file.

The above summary is from the creation of an altered WIM file by specifying the same path as for building an ISO file but choosing to "Add components to WIM image" in the Building Mode screen.

The above summary is from the creation of an altered WIM file by directly specifying the path and filename for the winpe.wim file.

The paths shown reflect the choices and information provided in the wizard. The Acronis WinPE directory cannot be altered.

HOW TO CREATE AN ISO FILE FROM THE WIM FILE WITH ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE COMPONENTS ADDED

As discussed on page 133 of the True Image Home 2010 User's Guide, two commands must be entered from the Windows PE Tools Command Prompt.

First, you have to replace the default boot.wim file in the Windows PE folder structure set up by the WAIK with the altered WIM file containing the Acronis True Image components. For WinPE 3.0, there is no default boot.wim file provided in the build environment, so this command will provide the required boot.wim file in the proper location for ISO creation. The command is a simple copy:

copy c:\winpe_x86\AcronisMedia.wim c:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim

NOTE: This path for AcronisMedia.wim is different than that specified in the User Guide and reflects the paths from the Acronis WinPE ISO Builder as shown in this tutorial.

Next, you have to create the ISO file using the totally cryptic Oscdimg tool from the WAIK as follows:

oscdimg -n -bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\ISO c:\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso

Finally, burn the ISO image to a CD using a third-party tool capable of handling image files.

For more information about the Oscdimg tool or other aspects of the WinPE tools, see the help files for WinPE and the WAIK, which I combined in one .zip file for all WinPE distributions (WAIK-WinPE-help-files-all-versions.zip). Information regarding additional customization of the WinPE recovery environment is discussed in these help files - the most important being the WinPE files.

AttachmentSize
WAIK-WinPE-help-files-all-versions.zip 5.94 MB
David Sherman
Regular Poster

can this work with the netbook edition?

thanks

Gary Darsey
Regular Poster

I don't know the answer to that. It seems that if the netbook edition can use the Plus Pack that a WinPE build would work, but it seems like you would have to boot from a USB - maybe using Grub4Dos.

David Sherman
Regular Poster

Thanks for the information. I created the x86 versison and the 64-bit version in about 5 minutes, I guess that it should work in the netboot edition if I install Plus pack on that machine.
Now I wonder if I have to buy another copy of Plus pack.

thanks

David Sherman
Regular Poster

where do i find the tutorials about XP?

thanks

Gary Darsey
Regular Poster

David-

I'm not sure what you mean by the tutorials about XP.

David Sherman
Regular Poster

I guess that I was wrong. I thought there was a guide for using Win Xp. I found out the guide was done under Windows xp.
Sorry

thanks

Gary Darsey
Regular Poster

Glad that this is clear to you now. I use only XP myself. There are some slight differences for WinPE 3.0 that is used with Win 7, but these differences are not relevant within the context of the tutorials. The differences only come into play if one does additional customizations of the WinPE build - a tutorial on which I have yet to write up.

Green Lantern
Beginner

Greetings

I'm really not up to speed on Imaging and related technologies. You guys are on a whole other lever of expertise. I do want to also say "thanks" to the author of this tutorial. With it, and with hours of looking up terms like WinPE, AIK, x86, amd-64x, ISO image, BartPE, etc. I was actually able to create a bootable WinPE CD. And I learned a hell of a lot in the process! After all that I still have a few things that I don't fully grasp about the process.

Firstly my external HD isn't recognized by the environment. I assume that the driver isn't part of the deal. I couldn't locate how to handle the drivers aspect in the tutorial. Like which drivers are advisable or required and how to add them to the ISO image.

Another question I have is about BartPE. There is a bootable image provided by Acronis. Would I just need to burn a CD from that image and be ready to go, or would I also have to add drivers?

Lastly and possibly most importantly, I dowloaded the ISO Linux image from My Account at Acronis. I tested it and validated my images using it. It works fine and does recognize my external HD. Would I be able to use this in connection with a restore to another hardware environment using PlusPack or is the WinPE or BartPE environment required for that?

Thanks a lot for any help. And please be gentle. : ))

GL

Green Lantern
Beginner

x

thomasjk
Frequent Poster

Green Lantern, its very odd that a WINPE disk did not see you external HD. Did you have it connected when you booted the WINPE disk?

Tom K.

Green Lantern
Beginner

@ thomasjk

Yup, sure did. I just assumed, possibly incorrectly, that WinPE would have the drivers required and there was no indication in the tutorial that one had to specially load them.

GL

thomasjk
Frequent Poster

Is this a USB hard drive?

Tom K.

Green Lantern
Beginner

Yup. Seagate Free Agent Extreme. 1 TB. USB or eSATA.

loox
Forum Member

Gary Darsey wrote:

You can also add you own tools to a WinPE build (I have done this too, such as an universal file editor and command line utility for changing screen resolution).  If there is any interest, and I can find the time, I can put together tutorials showing how to do this.

Your tutorials bridge the gap between Acronis' Byzantine instructions and what we should actually be doing!!!!
*applause*

Hopefully you can find the time, because I certainly am interested learning more about Acronis WIM modification.

My ideal Rescue CD/USB key would have:
1. Acronis True Image
2. Acronis Disk Director
AND, here's the key....
3. Some sort of on-the-fly driver installer so I never have to deal with Drive not found, or Wireless Network Adapter not installed, type of problems every again,
ALSO REQUIRES:
4. A method to switch back and forth between them (either a menu or substitute for Explorer)

Note: I don't require a specific tutorial on how to add a driver installer to an WinPe build. Rather any tutorial you can provide on using WinPE build environment to modify WIMs containing Acronis software would be helpful.

I am a big fan of boot-land.net and such, but when it comes to Acronis, they understandably keep their software protected from blatant piracy by, among other things, causing Acronis produts to auto-install when WinPE loads. This prevents me from easily switching between Acronis's own products, like True Image and Disk Director, much less 3rd party software.

What I would LOVE, is the convenience of an all-in-one magic bullet CD that provides a GUI for selecting between ATI, ADD, and AOSS. If you know how to add a 3rd party app such akin to "device manager", that would be even more helpful.

If I own all of the above, and with a file manger for the driver-installer app to use, it should all be perfectly legal; it should also be possible. What I don't know is if it is easy or not worth the effort.

Although throwing Firefox into the build to kill time while waiting for a restore operation to complete would make any effort worth the while.

In any case, I'd certainly read any additional tutorials you grace us with. And in case it wasn't already implied: THANKS for the hard work on the two tutorials... I am comfortable with PE creation and use in general, and am able to add Acronis to "live"-type PEs using scripts generated by Mustand and others. What I don't seem to be able to do is follow Acronis' instructions on how to build an WinPE CD using Acronis' tools.

loox

Windows 7.1 Home Premium x64
Dell Studio Laptop 1537 w Intel Core 2 Duo t6400 (2ghz); 4mb Ram

Gary Darsey
Regular Poster

loox-

You have me flummoxed with your number 3 above - I haven't the foggiest notion about driver installers.

As for 1. and 2., I recently added DD10 (no OSS included since I don't use it) to my TI2010 WinPE build (with crucial help from MudCrab - no surprise there) and they run just fine at the same time, but I have no GUI working. I am somewhat tinkering with an HTA approach, since there is some level of HTA support via the package installed with WinPE (but it is a subset of the regular Windows HTA). Please keep in mind that I am not a programmer or a computer professional of any kind, and I don't really know anything about slick shells like one finds in Mustang's builds. In addition, the console/command line of WinPE is just fine with me, but I realize that these days few people are comfortable with the command line.

loox
Forum Member

Sorry for the confusion.

There is a PE script called NetworkPE, or something like that, that provides the means to install network drivers not included with windows. I don't know how it works either, but I do know how to use it in a PE environment. I just don't know how to get it in there in the first place. But you do. Hence all the accolade for your tutorials.

You can also use similar scripts to load drivers one may need to see an external esata device, etc... Which I have but, as an example, my esata port uses a jmicron chip. And that requires a jmicron driver... Which Acronis does not update as fast as I would like.

So by driver installer I simply mean a means to install a needed driver that you forgot to add to a PE build.

I realize it would be impossible to create a tutorial for everything. My point is that a visual tutorial depicting how to modify anything in a WIM would go a long way to helping someone like me understand those great, but imposing WinPE instructions provided by Microsoft.

Paragons products have this built into their rescue disks but acronis lacks this functionality (though it may be in Acronis B&R 10, IIRC).

Windows 7.1 Home Premium x64
Dell Studio Laptop 1537 w Intel Core 2 Duo t6400 (2ghz); 4mb Ram

David Sherman
Regular Poster

Does the work with V2011 of TI?

thanks

JY Lee
Forum Member

I have created acronismedia.iso, and it works fine after burning it on CD. If I want to have it on USB, what is the easiest way? I have tried unetbootin, but it did not work. Thanks.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Download Grub for DOS, and then follow Mudcrab's instructions. You'll find the link in Grovers lis of useful stuff which is stickied to this forum.

Windows 10 Pro 1607:14393 + Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM. TI2016:5518 Acronis Backup Advanced:43994, DD12:3223, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4 On a clear disk you can seek forever

GroverH
GroverH's picture
Legend

Acronis is running a promo during November. If you have bought TrueImage Home 2011 during November, or plan to buy during November, a free Plus Pack is included. Promo expires November 30. Check my signature below for a link to all the details.

Grovers status = Inactive    1. Grover's New Revised Guides    4.  2014 Cleanup    2015 Cleanup    5. Attachments/How   7. TI 2015 FAQ.
2. Create BKU Tasks >   2011_2012_2013    2A. Using 2014    6.  Help  2016  2015 2014  2013       8.  Stop Scan for Backups   8A.  ATIH Video's
3.  Create new disks-Guides.    9.  Register/Downloads     10.  Mustang's New Guides   11.  Les Seiler's Backup Video

JoeG
Forum Member
MVP

Gary
Great tutorial

The WinPE disk does not recognize my esata drives wher I have my images stored.

Any ideas

JoeG

Mitchell Gillis
Beginner

After my Acronis Boot CD (linux) failed to get my disk recovered, I used a different program successfully to get my C drive restored.
The files that I restored were from September 2010. So I thought I would try Acronis TI 2011 again and get some of my files from it.
Luckily I had gotten all the updates from Sept 2010 to today and used my other backup program to make a fresh backup. My computer would not boot after placing the selected files back on the C drive.
I had to do another restore with the fresh backup I had made earlier in the day ( with the competitors sooftware.)
I still have a full disk clone produced with Acronis TI 2011 and the backup That Acronis would not let me restore. Hence, I attempted to use this WAIK/PE/ISO method. After several attempts, the bootmenu.bin is never found. Why are things so difficult with Acronis?

David Sherman
Regular Poster

SinceI don't know which OS you are using so Iwill you my experience.

I did a full system restorelast week using TI2011 on a laptop. I booted the machine and found that I could not boot. Since I am using Windows 7, I put the Win 7 rescue disk and then did a Windows repair. Then I reboot OK.

Windows7upopn installation bulds 2 separate partitions. The first partition is a 100 meg. hidden partition which holds the Windows rescue environment.

Mitchell Gillis
Beginner

Hi David,
When I tried to make the Acronis TI 2011 Boot ISO on my Dell Inspiron 9200 laptop (with XP Pro and all updates). I got ALL of the pictures that you show in the tutorial.
After several attempts, the bootmenu.bin is never found. Why are things so difficult with Acronis?

David Baker
Beginner

Gary, this and most every other posting I have read implies that I need the TI Plus Pack. I didn't buy it when I upgraded to TI 2011 and DD11. Would I have to buy the Plus Pack now if I wanted to use this technique and make a WinPE boot disk from Waik 3.0?

Peter Firth
Peter Firth's picture
Forum Member

Thanks Gary everything is working my end.

IT Support to Computer Repairs LTD.
User of Acronis Products for 3+ Years.
Support: Offical Acronis | Acronis Support | Knowledge Base | Acronis Coupon

BOB C
Forum Member

EDIT:

Use this instead for Plus Pack 2012:
http://kb.acronis.com/content/23882

Thanks anyway, but this is way over my head. I have the AcronisMedia.wim file built but wanted to make a ISO...totally lost as I am not using the C: drive but buried in the G: drive.
I have the Plus Pack 2012 and thought it would be a simple procedure using it..ha ha!
--------------------------------------
HOW TO CREATE AN ISO FILE FROM THE WIM FILE WITH ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE COMPONENTS ADDED
As discussed on page 133 of the True Image Home 2010 User's Guide, two commands must be entered from the Windows PE Tools Command Prompt.

First, you have to replace the default boot.wim file in the Windows PE folder structure set up by the WAIK with the altered WIM file containing the Acronis True Image components. For WinPE 3.0, there is no default boot.wim file provided in the build environment, so this command will provide the required boot.wim file in the proper location for ISO creation. The command is a simple copy:
copy c:\winpe_x86\AcronisMedia.wim c:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim

I can't even find an ISO folder?

NOTE: This path for AcronisMedia.wim is different than that specified in the User Guide and reflects the paths from the Acronis WinPE ISO Builder as shown in this tutorial.

There was no ISO folder built from the Acronis WinPE ISO Builder? Just a wim file. This is 2012 Plus Pack.....LOST?

Next, you have to create the ISO file using the totally cryptic Oscdimg tool from the WAIK as follows:
oscdimg -n -bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\ISO c:\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso
Finally, burn the ISO image to a CD using a third-party tool capable of handling image files.

Colin B
Colin B's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Bob,

The media builder with Plus Pack should be doing all that for you. There should be no need for you to go into WAIK yourself and manually use the WAIK tools unless you want to build a custom WinPE CD that includes for example TIH and other utilities or browsers etc.

I'll have a play tonight and see if I can get the same results as you.

Windows 10 Pro 1607:14393 + Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 + Server 2008 R2, SBS2011. Testing Environment VirtualBox VM. TI2016:5518 Acronis Backup Advanced:43994, DD12:3223, vmProtect 7.0:5173, SnapDeploy 4 On a clear disk you can seek forever

BOB C
Forum Member
GroverH
GroverH's picture
Legend

Another very helpful guide by Jan Buelens.
http://forum.acronis.com/forum/23074

Robert Gregory
Forum Member

I have read this complete thread and understand "most" of it, but I don't see anywhere where there is an option to install HD/Raid drivers. I'm using TI2013 with the Plus Pack and the WinPE rescue media it creates does not see my network drive or the Raid drives.
I'm sure its because it needs drivers but I don't see where to add them in the WinPE process.

Any help would be appreciated.
I have a GigaByte GA-X79-UD3 MB with a Marvell 91XX SATA 6G Raid Controller and an Intel 82579V NIC.

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Robert,

You would inject the 32bit drivers for your NIC and RAID controller into the winpe.win file that is in the c:\winpe_x86 folder before running the Acronis WinPE ISO builder. See this link: http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/ATIH2013/index.html#22043.html

James

What I tell my friends:
It's not a problem with your computer, it's a short circuit between the chair and the keyboard!
What I tell my customers:
Whatever the problem is, we can fix it.

Robert Gregory
Forum Member

Thanks James... I will give that a try and let you know the outcome.

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

In addition, you could take a look at this post: http://forum.acronis.com/forum/35238

James

What I tell my friends:
It's not a problem with your computer, it's a short circuit between the chair and the keyboard!

Robert Gregory
Forum Member

Well, I think I followed the procedure correctly but I still can't see my raid or network. I should have mentioned that
I am running Win7 64Bit and used the 64bit drivers. Should I have used the 32bit? And while I am on the subject,
should I be using the .INF drivers from the motherboard CD or those already in the .INF folder in Windows? Not sure
where to pull them form.

Thanks agai for all the help.

James F
James F's picture
Acronis MVP Volunteer
MVP

Because the WinPE disk is created using the x86 winpe.wim file (the 64 bit WinPE environment is not supported by Acronis True Image and the WinPE ISO Builder will not work correctly either), you need to use only 32 bit drivers when injecting them into the .wim file. The drivers are only used to be able to "see" your NIC and RAID controllers while booted to the WinPE disk. You do not need the 64 bit drivers for WinPE creation, and they will not work. The drivers you need are the RAID drivers obtainable from the RAID controller manufacturers website, same with the NIC. The drivers will usually only be a few files (.inf, .cat, and .sys, usually) for each device.
Attached are the drivers you need. (Marvell from the Gigabyte Website, and the Intel 82579V drivers from Intel). Unzip all the files into one folder, and inject them all.

AttachmentSize
marvell_raid_ahci.zip 194.14 KB
intel_82579.zip 191.83 KB

What I tell my friends: