Skip to main content

Acronis Managed Machine Service does not start

Beginner
Comments: 2

Hi,

I installed a fresh actual Backup&Recovery 11.5. Licences are working and I can start the management console and set backup plans etc. without any problems. But when I try to connect to the local management service of my Windows Server 2012 I get the following error:
---------------------------------
Code: 11.468.819(0x00AF0013)
LineInfo: 0x175E82EA6697B94E;

Modul: trueimg_remote_full_vs_37687
Nachricht: Acronis Managed Machine Service ist nicht gestartet.

Code: 11.337.731(0x00AD0003)
LineInfo: 0x90FB8A255B1DF67B;

Nachricht: Keine lokale Verbindung möglich mit Acronis Managed Machine Service. Vergewissern Sie sich, dass der Dienst installiert ist und sein Status auf Gestartet steht.

Code: 196.610(0x00030002)
LineInfo: 0x37819FD1E1F7A649;

Code: 65.520(0x0000FFF0)
LineInfo: 0xBD28FDBD64EDB8E0;

Nachricht: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden
I also tried to start the service manually but this doesnt work. When I try to add the machine to the AMS I get this error:
Code: 18.087.938(0x01140002)
LineInfo: 0x8FEADEA9B9A879B;

Modul: management_server_vs_37687
Nachricht: Erhalten von Informationen über Remote-Maschine '192.168.15.112' fehlgeschlagen.

Code: 18.087.958(0x01140016)
LineInfo: 0x67BE6875CD4600F9;

Nachricht: Abrufen von Informationen über die Remote-Maschine '192.168.15.112' ist fehlgeschlagen (Windows-Betriebssystem wurde erwartet).

Code: 4.522.038(0x00450036)
LineInfo: 0x3215ACDA31D72F68;

Nachricht: Erstellen der verwalteten Einheit 'Maschine' fehlgeschlagen.

Code: 4.521.998(0x0045000E)
LineInfo: 0xDE9D823FC6EFF4FB;

Nachricht: Öffnen der Dienstesteuerung fehlgeschlagen.

Code: 65.520(0x0000FFF0)

Nachricht: Zugriff verweigert
Can you help me with this issue...??

Forum Star
Comments: 1364

If "Managed Machine Service" doesn't work on a machine, all attempts add it to AMS will fail (because the AMS needs a working MMS on the machine to add it). If reinstall of MMS ( Agent Core + (most likely) Agent for Windows and other agents if they were installed on this machine) doesn't help, you need to contact the support. There is no known issues with sudden service stop on a clean installation.

Beginner
Comments: 3

Hi there

I have seen this on Windows Server 2012. Are you using the latest build downloaded from the Acronis Site?

I believe you need the latest version on anything Windows 8 / 8.1 or Server 2012 / R2.

Thanks
Tim

Beginner

I am having the exact same issue on Server 2012.

After the initial install of 11.5 it works... until you reboot. Then AMS won't start. Had support remote in to fix another issue and it was working again... until I rebooted. Then I saw they had the latest Update, installed it. It worked again... until I reboot.

Basically it will only work after I install or reinstall, but always fails as soon as I reboot. I have tried changing all sorts of things and rebooted dozens of times, and there's nothing in the event log for me to look at.

Thanks!

Geoff

Code: 11,337,731(0x00AD0003)
LineInfo: 0x90FB8A255B1DF67B;

Module: trueimg_remote_full_vs_37975
Message: Failed to establish the local connection with Acronis Management Server Service. Make sure that the service is installed and its status is Started.

Code: 196,610(0x00030002)
LineInfo: 0x37819FD1E1F7A649;

Code: 65,520(0x0000FFF0)

Forum Star

"changing all sorts of things", unfortunately, says little about what exactly you attempted to do in order to fix it. If you open windows services snap-in services.msc, what is the status of Acronis Management Service (if it exists at all). If it's stopped, what happens if you start it manually?

Beginner

I tried changing log in accounts on services, patched windows, reinstalling, dug through as many files as I could the check for logs, and more that I can't remember.

The root problem is still the same though. The service exists, and is stopped upon boot up. If I start it, it appears to start but will stop itself after a few minutes. While it is started, I still get the previously posted error message if I attempt to access AMS.

Also, after I installed the latest update, my backup plans disappeared. When attempting to recreate them, none of the other servers I had deployed the agent to were showing up. Attempted to redeploy agents in case there was an update, but it attempts to authorize licenses with AMS, so therefore I am stuck at this point. I am not getting any backups.

Forum Star

It doesn't look like any known problem - you need to contact support regarding this one.

Beginner

I'have got the same problem as Geoff :
Message: Failed to establish the local connection with Acronis Management Server Service. Make sure that the service is installed and its status is Started.
Does it exist a patch which correct this issue ? My management server is installed on a Windows 2008 Server. All services are correctly executed and nothing in the events log.

Edit : Resolved. Even if I reboot the server, it does'nt work. I have stopped MMS and AMS services. Then restart MMS service, wait that it starts correctly, then AMS service. And it works!

Beginner
Comments: 1

We have the same problem.

Fresh install of Win server 2012 R2 and latest build 38573 Acronis Backup Advanced 11.5 for Windows and Linux Server.

Changed the user that runs the service to local system and that works.
It is not a solution.

Beginner

Fresh Install of Acronis Advanced Server Universal and "Acronis Managed Machine Service Unavailable"

Bought this copy to resolve an issue with a previous version which loses all record of the backup plans and tasks - at least that issue seems fixed but now we have this one.

Brand New Dell R920 with Server 2012 R2 O/S installed. Running Vsphere, Acronis and no opportunity to load anything else until we can get this issue resolved - grrrrrrrr!

Forum Star
Comments: 2672

Hello Naveed,

if you observe on your server any crashes of Acronis Services you need to contact Acronis Support.

Such issues are usually system specific and they are investigated on case by case basis.

Please collect information according to this article and contact our support.

Thank you.

Beginner

Thank you Anna,

these days support conducts the equivalent of a murder investigation where every last tiny scrap of personal and irrelevant information is attempted to be extracted from their clients before they even begin to speak to you about your problems.

There is less respect for client privacy than the respect they expect us to show for their EULA

Honestly?

I'd much rather present myself to a proctologist for multiple root canal treatments than ask Acronis Support to get involved in issues with this product again.

Thanks for the kind recommendation anyway, we will continue to look for technical help from the public domain and everywhere else until we can find alternative software products to deliver our disaster recovery solutions.

Beginner

Had the same issue. During installation the Acronis user did not got the right rights. Running mms as a local service worked. So recreated the acronis user with proper rights, now working like a charm.

Forum Star
Comments: 2672

Thank you for sharing your experiences, Raymond!

Beginner

after installation login as root on linux GUI and everythings works fine

Zee
Beginner

I fully agree with Naveed's last comment, Acronis support is mostly a waste of time from my experience. these forums are by far way more useful once someone does find a proper solution. I have the exact same issue and error codes as Geoff posted above. this happened after I recently upgraded to the latest release (11.5v.39029 from 11.5v38573). I am running on a Dell R520 with Server 2012, all the latest patches. I tried changing the service accounts, even using a local admin account, and this did not resolve my issue.
I am unable to connect to the management server, which is the exact same machine.

Anyone else have any new ideas to try? Revert back to old version? Find a new vendor that doesn't create new issues with every release? Any suggestions?

Forum Star

Zee, the first thing to check is if the service (Management Server in you case, not to be confused with Managed Machine Service) runs. If it start but stops, check the Windows Applications logs for ManagementServer.exe crash. If it runs and doesn't crash, check if Acronis Remote Agent service is running and try to connect in Tools->Manage Licenses to the localhost too.

Zee
Beginner

It was faster, and easier, for me to uninstall all of ABR11.5 v.38573 and reinstall ABR11.5 v.39029, and rebuild all my backup jobs, than to try and debug this issue with Acronis support! And I've found, after going through multiple upgrades/updates from Acronis, that a clean installation is ALWAYS better than trying to upgrade and debug all the new issues that arise from each and every new version, since 10.x. This is ridiculous to say the least! As a contractor, I do not have time to spend 10+ hours on the phone with Acronis support to debug issues every time a new release is pushed out...

Beginner

Just wanted to add another thank you to Raymond!

Changing the Acronis Managed Machine Service to a local system account fixed the issue for me as well.

Frequent Poster
Comments: 524

Please note that changing the service account to local system can cause a lot of wierd problems with permissions down the line. It is much better to use an account with the correct privilages.  We have an article detailing required permissions here: http://www.acronis.com/en-us/support/documentation/AcronisBackup_11.5/#…

Note that the article applies to a new installation, where the necessary privileges are granted automatically as part of the installation process. If you change a service user, you will have to manually make sure that all the privileges are correctly assigned to the account you plan to use.

Specifically:

• Make sure that the service account you plan to use is part of the Acronis Remote Users and/or the Acronis Centralized Admins groups on the server (depending on service)
  • It has full control of %PROGRAMDATA%\Acronis (%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Acronis for Server 2003) and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis
  • Log on as a service, Adjust memory quotas for a process, Replace a process level token and Modify firmware environment values user rights are assigned.
  • The recomendation is to have this account in the "Administrators" Windows group, but "Backup Operators" is the minimum requirement for MMS and ASN services
  • The AMS service additionally needs full access to the MS SQL instance used by the service
Beginner

Acronis upgrades really suck and I have advised friends not to buy this software. Everytime there is an 'upgrade' I run into the same issue that Acronis have totally failed to address. I installed an upgrade to Backup 11.7 last week and get the message 'Acronis Managed Machine Service is Unavailable.' I've run the installer to Repair the problem, but it fails on one of the modules (can't remember offhand which one - the second or third) and that's it! The last time this happened, I had to uninstall the software before installing a new version (11.5) Acronis gave me a link to; it's that version that 11.7 is supposed to upgrade. This is really pathetic and Acronis need to do some testing before foisting flaky products onto its customers. I tried removing Backup 11.7 and reinstalling 11.5, but I still get the same error so the uninstaller isn't functioning either! To top it off, Acronis actually want you to subscribe annually before you can log a bug with their software, though I seem to have shamed them into responding to my complaint.

Attachment Size
345258-127264.jpg 92.24 KB
Forum Star
Comments: 2377

Hello Nicholas,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. I'm very sorry to know that you are not satisfied with our software and support policy. Here you can find more information about Acronis Advantage program. I've checked the status of your support ticket, seems that initial issue has been resolved. If you have any questions, you could start a new thread.

Thank you,

Beginner

It becomes clear that Acronis didnt released build of Acronis Backup & Recovery, that will work on Windows Server 2012. Actually - support was not declared, but we can start Backup & Recovery on 2012 ... with a little trick.

Sympthoms: after Backup & Recovery installation, management console didnt start with reference to "Acronis Managed Machine Service" (the service didnt start) (service name - MMS).

In fact, the service above cannot start because of dependency on Protected Storage Windows service, which is removed in Windows Server 2012.

So, to start the MMS service, you will need to remove dependency from Protected Storage service. Go toHKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MMS in registry editor, select parameter DependOnService (multi-string) and remove Protected Storage string.

Thats it! Now reboot you server and go on.

Beginner

we have the same problem.

Forum Star
Comments: 2377

Hi mattflex,

Thank you for your posting! Please provide the exact error message and what have been done in order to resolve the issue, so that we can advise on the next steps.