Skip to main content

Backup will not start

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 1

I'm using Windows 8 64bit and used Acronis Backup & Recovery 11 up to now. Backup was running fine. Now I've upgraded to 11.5 and Backups will not start anymore. It just shows "started 0%" and cannot be stopped. The mms.exe Managed Machine Service cannot be stopped, only possibility is to restart my machine. Sure I know, that windows 8 is not on the System Requirements list, but 11 was running fine...
Any suggestions other than waiting for a Windows 8 compatible solution and running without backup?

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 8748

I can't recall if I had a problem in Windows 8 or not, however there is a possible workaround but it might break other things in Windows 8.

To quote user dev-anon

Remove 'protected storage' from DependOnService value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MMS registry branch.

I haven't tried this so yvmv - I assume Acronsi will make it W8 compatible once the W8 is publicly released.

Beginner

Thats what I did, I removed protected Storage from DependOnService because ProtectedStorage is removed in Windows8. Seems that MMS really needs ProtectedStorage to run. Wondering because ProtectedStorage is deprecated since VISTA.

Forum Hero

Jan,

Try changing the MMS login from Acronis User to your login, I'm sure I managed to run ABR11.5 beta on W8, I only recall having a problem with Mounting and Exploring.

Beginner
Comments: 11

I've seen the same thing since upgrading to 11.5 - and I've seen it on Server 2008 on multiple machines. So it isn't just a Windows 8 thing.

Basically none of my machines will backup at this point since upgrading to 11.5. The backup starts and just sits at 0%. And this happens when backing up to both vaults and local folders.

Changing the MMS account to a domain admin account (instead of the Acronis created local account) did not help either.

Jason

Forum Hero

Jason,

If possible try your local user account not the domain one. Make sure that your user account is a member of the Backup Operators group.

Beginner
Comments: 11

No difference. Using the acronis agent user gave the same results. And that account is a member of the Backup Operators and the local Administrators group.

I tried rebooting the management server/storage node server as well, still doesn't work

Oh well, it is a small installation so I just reinstalled ABR11. Everything working correctly now. I guess I'll wait for a future "Update 1" release of 11.5 before I try again.

Beginner
Comments: 12

Jason,

• Is there act.exe running on machine?
  • Is there service_process.exe running on the machine?
  • Is there any error message in logs?

Here is the brief description on how the process works. Acronis scheduler upon schedule starts new act.exe (so called activator) under the account to perform backup under. This process connects to mms.exe over a pipe and initiates a backup process. mms.exe determines list of items to back up (for example, if you have rules, it resolves them to actual disks) and starts new service_process.exe instance who does the real job.

So, for a real running backup all of three processes are to be there. Should any of steps fail, corresponding message is to be written in logs. BTW, for further troubleshooting you can use either procmon from Sysinternals/Microsoft to monitor API calls and their statuses. Alternatively, if some Windows 8 specific security restrictions block anything, this can be found out using Security Audit (switched on for failures).

Beginner
Comments: 2

Was there ever a resolution to this problem? I have just installed 11.5 on Windows 7 and I have exactly the same problem (Build 32256).

I cannot see any act, mms or service_process.

As I test I have installed the same software on Windows XP, where it works just fine.

I have tried to backup using both Volume/Disk and Files. Neither backup will start.

Forum Star
Comments: 1940

If there is no mms.exe process it means that managed machine service is not started. What is its state in services snap-in? What iwll happed if you start it manually?

Beginner
Comments: 2

I 6hink I have got it working. I noticed in the Control Panel that version 11 Agent Core was still listed, as well as the version 11.5

I downloaded the cleanup programs for versions 11 and 11.5, ran these and then reinstalled 11.5. It seems to be working now.

Beginner

Hey Colin,
I followed your post, and Acronis 11.5 worked perfect on my Win8 64bit Machine..
Thanks for help..