Skip to main content

[RESOLVED] VSS error 12292 with B&R 11.5 for Windows Server

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 5

Last week I upgraded two Windows Server 2008 R2 systems from B&R 11.0 to 11.5. Now each time a backup job starts on either server, an error 22 followed by an error 12292 is logged in the Windows application log.

Source: VSS
Event ID: 12292
Level: Error
Description:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error creating the Shadow Copy Provider COM class with CLSID {79079d5c-ef20-4952-b9fc-cfd443b38641} [0x80040154, Class not registered].

After trying everything I could find on the web, I called Acronis and opened a ticket. They reregistered some DLLs, which didn't help. They said the snapshot is being taken successfully, and claimed the VSS error has nothing to do with their software. Yet, a) this started only after upgrading to 11.5, and b) the CLSID in the error is the same as VSS writer for the Acronis snapshot provider as listed in the registry.

When I pressed the tech on this, he admitted this is a problem that they've been getting a lot of calls on ever since the upgrade to 11.5. I was told I can "safely ignore" this message, but having new errors listed in my logs every 24 hours isn't how I like to fly.

I wanted to post this here in case others are running into the same issue. And also to say I am not satisfied with the "just ignore it" answer. Acronis should fix this.

You find the solution here.

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 1272

Hello guitarfish,

Thank you for posting this information in our forum.

Did you check if this, after upgrading from Acronis Backup & Recovery 11 to Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.5?

1. Go to Start -> Run -> regedit.exe and press ENTER;
  2. Navigate to this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\VSS\Providers\
  3. Check, if you can find at the left part entries below Providers. There should be only one entry.

Under every condition: Click on every entry and check in the right part, if you can find this entry: "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0". Do not delete this entry!

For the other entries: Check if you can find the Acronis VSS Provider entry and delete it.

4. Restart the machine.

The backup plan should not longer display a warning regarding vss. 

If you need additional assistance, please contact support. You will find the available support options in our Customer handbook.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please let me know.

Thank you.

Beginner
Comments: 5

I deleted the key as you described. Confusing why deleting the Acronis key solves this problem, but it appears to have worked on bother servers - even though I didn't reboot, btw. Thanks for the help, much appreciated!