Skip to main content

Retention Rules - Delete Old Backups

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 2

Hi everyone,

I've recently adopted a server which runs Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.5 which, I must admit, have never really used previously.

We have updated the backup system to better reflect the needs of the company, however we're having an issue with the backup job not deleting older backups.

We have two rotating drives for daily backups via Acronis, we're running a full backup of the server to a personal vault which is stored on an external HDD (G:\). We have set the retention rules to delete backups older than 2 days, however this is no occurring - resulting in the 2TB backup HDD filling up and failing backups until we manually delete archives within the vault.

My question is A) why does Acronis not delete the backups when the backup job is configured to do so?
B) how can we resolve this?

I hope the above makes sense, any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Anthony

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 1378

What scheme (simple/custom/etc) do you use (can you post the backup plan screenshot) ? Are there any records in logs about cleanup tasks If you run the cleanup task manually from backup plans page - does it work? Can you post the content listing of some of the external HDDs?

Beginner

Hi Fedor,

Thanks for your reply, backup scheme is set to "Simple", please see attachment for backup plan.

If I navigate to the vault, select an archive and select delete, I am able to delete the archive successfully.
I am also able to run the clean-up task manually from the backup plans page via run -> replication / clean-up.

I have reviewed the logs however am unable to find anything which may point to the clean-up task failing.

Attachment Size
171256-111823.jpg 428.29 KB
Forum Star
Comments: 1378

There is a bug with retention rules in simple scheme - they are not applied if are configured after backup plan was created. You can check it if you export the plan and see in the exported .xml file under location->locations->configuration->rule , if all of values of "before_backup", "after_backup" and "on_schedule" are false - then rules are never applied automatically. A simple way to fix it is edit backup plan, switch the scheme to manual and back to simple and configure retentions again. This is fixed and the fix will be available in the nearest update.

Attachment Size
171275-111832.txt 516 bytes
Beginner

Hi Fedor,

Thanks for your reply, I've exported the backup and found that all three were as described, I've since changed the backup job to manual, saved, and re-setup the simple scheme. I've exported the backup job and confirmed that the fields are now showing the correct after_backup values.

Hopefully this resolves the issue, otherwise I will post back.

Thanks for your help :)