Skip to main content

Acronis Backup Wishlist

Forum Star
Comments: 2673

Dear Community,

This thread is dedicated to the question regarding what you would like to see added or changed in Acronis Backup.

All the comments will be forwarded to the Development team directly, so rest assured your opinion will be taken under consideration.

Thank you!

Beginner
Comments: 2

Where do I start!

1) Support for HP embedded Array controller B110i in bootable media. People have been requesting it since 2011!

2) For handling of RDX drives to be fixed, esp when making duplicate backups. Been asking for this since 2011 too. Keep getting promises but no action. Months ago I was promised a new build to fix this but still waiting.

3) Option to turn on real time verbose error reporting in bootable media, i.e logging of unreadable sectors as they occur and option to save log file.

4) Backup manager. Much better tools to manage cataloging and manually remove backups, i.e. use XMLlog files on each drive to manually delete backups and keep the XML files in sync.

5) Better disk cleanup handling (i.e. when deleting oldest backups to make room for a new one). Again does not work on RDX drives. This is rediculous. This is the one thing you want to do, i.e. make an off-site copy of your backup to a removable media. This has never worked properly since B&R10 and still doesn't in the latest version.

Acronis! Please start listening to your customers and partners get your act together before it is too late. You competition is increasing and I'm now hearing of lots of people getting fed up waiting, not getting adequate support and jumping ship to other products. As for Acronis TI 2013/14 words fail me. You have managed to take a world beating, well thought out, intuitive product and completely ruin it. Dreadful user interface.

You have probably detected by now that as a long time user and promoter of Acronis backup products, I am a bit frustrated with you at the moment!

Forum Star

Hi, Martin!

thank you for your feedback! Much appreciated!

Beginner
Comments: 18

Good Day,

Re: Acronis Backup 11.5 for PC

Could Acronis Tech Support please tell me when the ability to Clone GPT drives will be added to Acronis Backup 11.5 for PC?

The inability to Clone GPT drives is a Major weakness/deficiency in Acronis Backup 11.5 for PC.

Thank you Very Much,
George

Regular Poster
Comments: 476

Hello George,

Thank you for your feedback. I can't promise anything specific because this feature is a lower priority (our data shows that cloning is not something a lot of people use).

On the one hand, cloning is conceptually easy to use. On the other hand, an image backup+restore gives you the same exact result, but with a whole lot more flexibility. The backup+restore process is also what I would personally recommend.

With this in mind could you explain why you consider lack of GPT disk cloning a major deficiency? What is your usage scenario for cloning and why do you prefer it over a backup+restore operation?

Thank you!

Beginner

Good Day Igor,

Here are some of the reasons why lack of GPT disk cloning is a major deficiency and weakness:

(1). Acronis Backup 11.5 for PC can Clone MBR drives, but NOT GPT drives.
=> Incomplete product that has not kept up with newer technology.

(2). Doing a Clone by first doing a Backup, and then Recovering that Backup more than doubles the time & effort needed.
Also means that have to store and document that backup => Increased work, effort and storage.

(3). I thought Acronis Backup was meant to be a complete up to date solution, but it is NOT.
Please note than even Acronis True Image 2015 can Clone GPT drives.

(4). Without the capability to Clone GPT drives, we have stopped recommending it to our clients.
As cloning is needed for "Hot Recovery" procedures.

Thank you Very Much,
George

Beginner
Comments: 2

Further to my previous post in this thread of 18th June 2014, I can confirm that support for the HP B110i RAID controller was added to the Linux boot CD in a more recent build. Thanks you for that Acronis. I had been working round it by building a WinPE based boot CD with all the HP RAID drivers added.

However, I am still waiting regarding the other issues raised the most important of which are the issues with the handling of RDX drives and backup clean-up functions.

As before, absolutely no response from Acronis on this.

Regards

Martin

Regular Poster

Hello Martin,

I just want to reassure you that we definitely collect and take into account all the feedback provided here and elsewhere.

That said, we usually can't promise anything specific for a release or update of the product unless this feature is already finished, tested and planned to be included in the next update. Sometimes this has to do with the fact that it would be impossible to improve a certain function without redoing it from scratch (which is expensive to do in a minor update), like the current handling of RDX drives.

Even then, this is never set in stone because the decision to improve something heavily depends on the number of requests we receive from our customers.

So I would encourage anyone who has an idea or wish for an improvement to reach out to us.

Beginner

Good Day Igor,

Any feedback and/or acknowledgement for my previous post?

Thank you,
George

Forum Star

Hi George,
thank you for your postings!
Please be sure that your feedback is registered in our Customer Listening System and will be taken into account by working on further product versions.
Best regards,

D T
Beginner
Comments: 5

Hi,

I would like to have the option to configure which subnet/network card  the agent has to use for the backup and for the communication with the storage node.

Kind regards,

Dave

Forum Star
Comments: 1960

Thank you, D T! I've registered your suggestion in our internal system, so that the product managers can consider.

Regular Poster

Hello Dave, 

This functionality is on our roadmap for a future release of Acronis Backup 12.

Thank you.

D T
Beginner
Comments: 5

Thank you for the info and getting this functionality in a future release of Acronis Backup 12

Beginner
Comments: 3

In the case of a deduplicated storage vault along with a tape vault, the ability to "export" deduplicated backups (of server(s)) from a previous point in the past to the tape vault.

I went through an corporate audit recently and they needed a backup of two of my servers from a month ago.  In order to comply with their request, I was forced to give them a month end backup tape which included information they didn't request, and shouldn't have access.

More to the Audit point, many more of us are going through low-level and high-level audits.  It might be nice to request from the user community their experiences with audits and build disaster recovery recommendations built around how IT Professionals are Audited in today's economic environment.

BTW . .  . the Tape the corporate Auditors required me to hand over, was lost.  The traceability documentation was "conveniently" lost with it.  Guess who's at fault?

Me in $hIT

Beginner

Along with DT's request . . . 

I firmly Second this off-loading of network operations to other nic(s).  This has been a feature of many of the main-stays in the industry for over a decade.

Beginner

From my experience with the Acronis Products and the support options . . . there is something very important missing.

Descriptive Errors and lack of community interaction in addressing such errors.

The user community has a great deal of experience to offer.  And the users within the community know their environments better than anyone else.  It is nice to have Acronis Support Technicians "fix" our issues for us, but Acronis support is not always timely. . . as I am one Network Admin for multiple sites in the Western Hemisphere running Acronis Disaster Recovery Advanced 11.7, I have little time to wait for issues to get resolved.  I run through all the trouble-shooting steps, myself, before I call Support.

More generic error codes with a trouble-shooting process tree would be a great place to start. I would go even further and create forum post of issues as they arise, and the process followed to come to a successful resolution.  I have not seen much of this in the forums.  I often see a comment of how support was contacted following an issue. .  then nothing more.

The KB articles I follow are what the Support Technicians seem to follow, but I don't necessarily know what errors, or no errors (in many of my cases) mean.  I also don't have an easy way to know where to look in the logs for such results for the function I am trying to track.

One of my many roles in my IT career has been one of Disaster Recovery Planning.  My DR plans are based history, criminality and culpability.  As such, I review not only events my company has bumped into, but my colleagues and those in forums.

With Descriptive Errors there is less down time of the application, less likelihood of lost data.  Many of us have chosen the Acronis Product based upon a solid history.  Enabling the user community to do the initial steps of the trouble-shooting process will greatly increase the stability of Acronis Products.  It will also increase the knowledge base of the Acronis Support Technicians.