Skip to main content

USB Recovery Media not booting.

Beginner
Comments: 4

I have Acronis 11.5 and have been using for some time. In the past, I created a Bootable Iso successfully and burned to USB drive (2gb - usb 2.0). I have used this usb thumbdrive many times in the past.

Today, I needed the aforementioned USB stick and had issues booting (hanging randomly etc.) so I concluded that the stick was failing/faulty.

So, recreated the USB (exactly as I have done in the past) and it will not boot. The stick has both 32bit and 64bit and am booting a machine that uses BIOS boot mode. I also checked it on two other machines BIOS and/or EUFI mode.

No go!!! Burned 2 more sticks which are all brand new (4gb, 8gb - fat32) usb sticks - same thing

I check my work against this link: https://kb.acronis.com/content/21728

Now before we go suggesting an upgrade to a new version, let's recall my comment above. This has worked in the past and I have in fact created many sticks using 11.5 ISO file.

I don't really have an issue with upgrading, but I don't see anything in the newer versions that tweaks my interest and am still quite pleased with the version I have.

The question is. why doesn't it boot? I know it's a loaded question, but all the obvious has been checked and confirmed.

I've even tried many different USB burners - same result. In fact, most of them tell me that the ISO file does not have an "x86 boot ..." - or something similar.

However, in the GUI, I can create a bootable usb drive, so this is where I am flumixed...

Forum Moderator
Comments: 3866

Hello Goomba,

Finding the exact root cause of the issue would require the investigation, which is unfortunately not possible on forum, only with the help of Acronis support team. If you're ready to try out some workarounds, it's generally recommended to test a WinPE-based bootable media as it has better compatibility with various hardware;  try to use a bootable media of the latest build (no need to install the build, .iso can be downloaded from your account). Sometimes it's also helpful to adjust Linux Kernel Parameters ( hit F11 when Starting Acronis Loader...message appear, then modify the kernel settings and click OK to proceed ) - try with acpi=off noapic 

Beginner
Comments: 4

Ekaterina, thanks for the reply.

BUT, I would be interested to know how do I press F11.

As mentioned in my post - it will NOT BOOT!

I discovered the problem is, the only thing that gets copied to the USB stick(s) is

1) efi folder,

2) Recover Manager Folder,

3) nothing else, no bootmenu, c1, c2 etc.

When I create the ISO, I get a success result. Trying to burn the ISO to USB I get messages from EVERY Iso2usb program that the ISO is not bootable.

I’ve removed and re-installed onto another machine. Same result.

Forum Moderator
Comments: 3866

Sorry, cannot find any useful information or similar cases in our sources

I'd suggest downloading a trial of Acronis Backup 12.5  and if the issue still reproduces, raising a support ticket for investigation (go to https://www.acronis.com/support/contact-us/ and select Trial/Activation.../Licensing question category).