Acronis Backup 12 or 11.7 better?
We are currently using Acronis for VMWare 9 and considering to upgrade. If anyone who has experience with both version of 12 and 11.7 (not advance), please help me by giving me your opinion. Thanks very much.
The successor for Acronis Backup for VMware 9 is Acronis Backup 12, i.e. there is no upgrade path to v11.7, so I assume you're looking for differences between Acronis Backup for VMware 9 and Acronis Backup 12, rather than comparison against 11.7. The core difference between these 2 versions is the scalability introduced in v12, where you can deploy multiple appliances/agents and manage them from centralized web console. What will be missing (at least in the current version) in v12 in comparison with v9 is the following:
1) Deduplication: see my comments in https://forum.acronis.com/forum/117938
2) FTP/sFTP support: planned for one of the nearest major updates for v12 (end of this-beginning of the next year)
3) Recovery of VM disks to multiple different datastores: planned for the next major update for v12 (end of this-beginning of the next year)
On the other side in v12 there were new features introduced which may be of particular interest for VMware vSphere users:
- Finalization of a VM running from backup (extension of Run VM from backup functionality)
- Support for dvSwitches-based environments
- Support for Direct SAN Access mode (LAN-free) on vSphere 6.0+
In either case it makes sense to try the trial of v12 and see how it works for you in real environment.
Thanks for the info. In fact, I was asking which one is better because I saw other posts about v12:
Unfortunately, there is no option for me to v11.7. So, I can only choose to either stay at v9 or upgrade to v12. According to my reading so far (pleaes let me know if I'm wrong), all on-promise archives must be recreated after upgrade to v12 (the v9 archinves can only be used for restore) and the cloud archives can be upgraded but no downgrade without re-create the archives and even the account. In other words, we have to run full backup of all VMs once again (that's TBs of data) and it is one-way trip. That's why I'm hoping to get some more opinion from others here before making the decision.
Yes, your conclusions are correct: upgrade from v9 means running full backup for all VMs at least once to create new archives, so it might be a task to be executed in several steps. Also the cloud account cannot be downgraded once you're on newer version.