Skip to main content

AB12 seems to cause Explorer.exe crashes in Windows 7

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Posts: 15
Comments: 21

Folks,

Have noticed the following.  Within either a Windows 7 (W7) warm restart or cold startup, I get the "Windows Explorer has stopped working" dialog (snap1.jpg) followed by it restarting which is always successful.  Never happens again during any active session until I restart my system.

According to Microsoft's tech support and a number of online discussions, this is primarily due to Windowes explorer.exe shell extensions.  One can see these with the registry editor at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers.  The immediate response was to delete the 7-Zip and any Daemon entries as they have been known to cause explorer.exe crashes andd especially in both 32-bit and 64-bit version of W7.

I downloaded the Shellex (http://www.nirsoft.net) program (64-bit) and decided to start disabling one shell extension after another until the explorer.exe crashing stopped.  It appears that when I disabled the following:

  1. Acronis Backup Shell Context Menu Extension
  2. Acronis Backup Shell Extension

the W7 explorer.exe crashing stopped.  BTW, a couple of other forums also indicated that Acronis has been confirmed a scausing this issue on W7 machines.  Nothing mentioned on W8 or W10 machines.

Is this issue something others have experienced on this forum?

Chris Tocci

 

Attachment Size
snap1.jpg 52.25 KB
0 Users found this helpful
Forum Member
Posts: 15
Comments: 21

Folks,

More information on this topic.  It appears that Acronis has had this issue since 2008 according to Wilder Security Forums (http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/true-image-crashes-explorer-exe-shell-extension-issue.198468/).  Even though this was for True Image versus Acronis Backup or AB12, the Acronis Backup Shell Extension in explorer.exe will cause crashes.

Also, according to Microsoft, the crash is indirectly caused with mswsock.dll which is a system file in the c:\windows\system32 subdirectory.  From what I am gathering, Acronis Backup Shell Extention (tishell64.dll) performs some "call" utilizing the internal ports which is managed by mswsocket.dll and others.  Somehow, this is where the crash takes place when Acronis does it's calls.  Also, as it seems to only happen once in any one session. this crashing call only happens once.

Something else about the Explorer shell extension from Acronis...when doing a Cloud backup, it takes FOREVER to get done.  As I had in a previous post "Applying Retention Rules takes a LONG Time," by disabling the two Acronis Shell extensions, the long wait is also gone and the Cloud backup finishes very fast.

Therefore, if one downloads the ShelleX from http://www.nirsoft.net and disables the two shell extensions I listed above, it appears to eliminate the explorer crashing and speeds up the Cloud backup service in AB12.

Chris Tocci

Forum Member
Posts: 15
Comments: 21

Folks,

I think I found another issue,  It now appears that my Classic Shell program (http://www.classicshell.net/) was interfering with explorer.exe.  With that uninstalled, it seems to have eliminated a couple of issues including the explorer.exe crashing.

Chris Tocci

Acronis Program Manager
Posts: 22
Comments: 3120

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for the provided updates on the issue. To properly investigate the issue we'll need the crash dumps from the Explorer.exe process (can be captured via Task Manager->right click on Explorer.exe->take crash dump). Please capture them and contact our support team for further assistance, unless you believe that the crashes were caused by Classic Shell program as mentioned in your last comment. 

Also the Acronis extensions may not slow down the backups (no matter cloud or local) - these 2 processes are completely independent and we can't even guess how it can be related right now. Most likely there was some other cause for the slowness which should be also investigated with our support team involved.

Thank you.

Forum Member
Posts: 15
Comments: 21

Folks,

Final Solution for me:  Discovered that IOBIT's Uninstaller Pro v6.1xxx was causing the whole issue.  Not blaming IOBIT, but when removed, the problem went away and has stayed away now for more than a week.

Chris