Skip to main content

Acronis Backup 12 Nightmares

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 3

Morning folks,

It takes something to make me feel compelled to seek help from a forum but Acronis Backup 12 really takes the biscuit. Recovering from an AD corruption has caused me less stress than the last 2 weeks deploying this *cough cough* "product".

After fighting for a week with installation issues, quota issues, being made to uninstall and reinstall the agents, SQL authentication issues and god knows what else, I'm at my wits end.

The support is non existent. I've been forwarded to the 'expert team' for all of the issues and heard back a week, yes that's right, a week later. Needless to say I got stuck in and debugged the issues myself and finally got myself in a position where I'm getting backups from the product.

Well, a backup is only good if it recovers as it should. Which brings me to the reason I'm here. I have attempted to recover my data and SQL databases to a DR server. Selected the files and folder backup, chose the point in time, selected restore to another server (I have the agent installed on the DR server), hit restore and away it went. All my files appeared.

I hear your congrats, but let's not get overexcited. I moved onto the SQL database recovery. Two options, restore to an instance or restore as files. Selected restore to instance, ah, no option to change the target machine, it appears you can only restore to the original (what if the original server has died)? No problem I think, I'll recover the files to the DR server and restore the db manually. Selected restore as files, now I can change the target server. Selected my DR server and am presented with the green loading circle. Nothing else, left it for hours (not good for RTO), no change.

It would appear in Acronis Backup 12, it is impossible to recover your SQL db to anything other than the original server. On the above green loading circle, if I leave the restore destination as the original location, I can browse the file system, select the folder and the restored db files appear on the server.

Anyone have any experience of this? I'm on the verge of ditching this product. If anything, Acronis are in breach of the agreement by being so far out of their SLA on support.

Liam

0 Users found this helpful
Beginner
Comments: 1

Liam, I feel your pain. Acronis's support is GOD AWFUL. Had I known this is the support I would receive, I would never have purchased their product. All I receive is either emails assuming the issue is resolved or demands for wireshark downloads, when clearly my issues (Exchange 2016 granular restores) have nothing to do with a wirecap.

I am already looking for an alternative solution. This software is garbarge

Acronis Program Manager
Comments: 3098

Liam, Matthew

Thank you for your posts - we take all such reports very seriously and our goal is always to get to the bottom of the problems. As far as I have confirmed, our support team experts are working on the reported issues and contacted you yesterday to continue the troubleshooting. We will obviously also involve our development resources into the investigation to get things back to normal.

Thank you.

In reply to by Matthew Rizzo

Beginner

I don't think we're alone. Everyone cannot be wrong about this.

I believe the support issues that they have is a complete disconnect between the poor guys on 1st line support and the so called 'Expert Team'. Not to mention the fact that I seem to know more about the product than they do.

In reply to by Vasily Semyonov

Beginner

Morning Vasily,

Thanks for your comments but I must say that the reality is that the support teams do not know what the product is supposed to be doing.

Yesterday I was told that my product was out of date. I run backups through the Acronis Cloud Console and not on premise Management Server. 

Web console service: v.12.0.3011

Backup management server: v.12.0.4904

Backup management console: v.12.0.7032

I was told to update to v.12.5. Ummm, this is your platform so how can I update it? My agent version is V.12.0.3917, again I was told to update to v.12.5. But I cannot download this as the agent is up to date vs the console. I was given a direct link to download v.12.5 and asked to uninstall the agents and reinstall with this (having taken 2 weeks to get the 1st good backup I wasn't too keen). I pointed out that wouldn't there be a mismatch between the management server and the agent?

The so called 'expert team' advised me to do this. I uninstalled and attempted to install v.12.5 of the agent. And guess what? There is no option to connect the agent to the cloud platform, only local or network management server. So I have had to reinstall v.12.0.3917. Luckily for me the backups continued as normal after that.

Sorry to say Vasily, but so far, I have been right on every point I have made. There's a reason I do the job I do.

Best

Liam

Acronis Program Manager
Comments: 3098

Liam,

That's really sad to read and see how you were misleaded :( The agents managed by cloud console cannot be upgraded to 12.5 yet - this possibility will happen only later this year, after we update all the cloud management servers to up-to-date version and adjust corresponding cloud agents.

In short there are 2 parallel concepts: cloud management (also used in Acronis Backup Cloud solution) and on-premise management, where both have different build numbers and cannot be used on the same machine at the same time. For example on-premise agent will prompt to uninstall the cloud agent first before installation and vice versa.

I've asked our support team to schedule a remote assistance session with you, where we will involve our development resources to investigate the SQL recovery problem. Please (if you can still give us this chance) let us give the problem a proper treatment one more time.

Thank you.

In reply to by Liam Sheridan

Beginner
Comments: 2

Thought that only me is really dissapointed by the acronis 'so-called-support' team. Yestedday I had a remote session with their engineer and the support gut did exactly the same mistake as described by Liam as I'm also using the cloud console. After he realized that the cloud console does not serve v12.5 agent, he gave me link to v12.5 and asked to perform upgrade by myself (of course, it is not possible as the agent says that there is a conflict). When I asked why there is no 'upgrade agent' option available from the console (as described in Acronis KB) he explained that this in only available in cloud console for service providers.

I'm really, really dissapointed by both your product and the level of support provided. You call this an enterprise backup solution? Even SOHO products support shine in comparison to Acronis. No matter if it is required or not, they always request set of logs (procmon, wireshark, system logs etc.), ask same questions dozen of times, reaction times are terrible (if you will not call or chat them forget that they will react by themself) and (what is the worst thing) I had no single month of sucesfull backups. I will definately NOT contunue the subscription for the next period. What is more, I wouldnt even use it for free as basic functions (yes - backup & restore) are buggy, tech support basically does not exist, backup of 1,2TB machine takes about 13h and I spent more time trying to fix it on a daily basis than doing actual work...

Beginner

Hi Vasily,

Thanks for your prompt work.

I have scheduled with Irina a support call from Monday (with luck).

In the short term, I have found another method of recovering SQL databases to another machine.

Rather than recover from the machine the backup came from, you can click 'Backups' in the portal. At the top of the page there is a option to change the 'Machine to browse from:'. Clicking this allows you to select any machine that has an agent online. Once selected you can find the relevant SQL backup and click recover.

At this point, the next part is fairly misleading. The options show - "Target Machine - Original machine", "Target Instance - Original Instance" and "Target Database - Original Database". Instance and Database can be changed but the Target machine option is not selectable. However, because you browsed the backups from your desired target machine, that is actually the target. This is confirmed by clicking recover database and a final check is confirmed 'Database on target - XXXXXXXX will be overwritten, with XXXXXXX being your desired target.

I really feel the target machine should show the name of the machine and not 'original machine'.

Hope this helps anyone else with this confusing scenario.

Thanks

Liam

Beginner
Comments: 6

The v12 products have been nothing short of disappointing.  We're long time customers and have nothing but issues all around with v12.

• Issue #1: Cannot backup to local network storage on one of our servres.  Latest version of software (12.5 update 4) still did not resolve despite being told it would help.  Acronis 11.7 was fine.  Can’t use v11 format (that works still) since program reverts to “auto” after each full.
  • Issue #2: Cloud backup migration STILL has not completed.  We ended up backing up a server (300GB) from scratch.  That worked but took about 9 days.  Support has taken forever and our old backups never showed up.  Since Acronis “Fixed this” (for the third time), our backups started from scratch.  Complete waste of time.
  • Issue #3: Network speed to the Acronis v12 backup data center in Ashburn is abysmal @ 3Mbps!  When we run the Acronis Speedtest to Asbhurn, VA it’s still only 8Mbps!  Acronis v11.7 backups to v11 space at a decent rate.  Speedtest to that same region with other providers are returning 82Mbps upload speeds! 

The more I read post, the more I realize Acronis' enterprise products are in a complete nose dive.

Good luck -- we're shopping for new solutions.