Skip to main content

Are remote 2nd Locations supported

Beginner
Comments: 10

Hi,

I would like clarification if remote 2nd Locations are supported in backup plans.

I have ABR12.5 Virtual edition install on my local LAN which is on 10.100.32.0 / 24, I also have an IPSEC site-to-site VPN to a remote LAN on 192.168.100.0 / 24 and while I can add the path to the NAS in the remote location (sometimes with difficulty) I am finding that the 2nd Location / Copy backup within the backup plan is extremely unreliable / slow / doesn't start at all.

The routing between the two LANs seem fine, if I drop into the shell within the appliance with CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+SPACE+F2 I can ping and traceroute to the remote NAS just fine, though I am seeing information scrolling up such as:

[268xx:267xx] load_file:94 /etc/modinfo.dump was reading (many lines, dozens per second)

and

mount: mounting 192.168.100.245/share on /tmp/.mnt_net_(random characters) failed: Permission Denied

When I issue a mount command, I see an entry for //[REMOTE NAS HOSTNAME] on /tmp.mnt_net_(different random characters not the same as the permission denied characters).

I can cd to /tmp/.mnt_net_(random characters) and see the directory structure of the remote NAS just fine.

I confirm that I have speficied correct credentials to the 2nd Location within the backup plan just fine.

If I run the plan manually, it never starts, despite waiting several hours.

If I let the plan run as schedule it does copy information to the 2nd Location (remote) but does not appear to be a complete copy.

Last nights schedules run and error was:

"Error
Command has failed. Command=Replication;
Operating system error: Resource temporarily unavailable"

So my question is: are remote 2nd Locations supported with ABR12.5 Virtual?

Confirmation either way would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Christian

Forum Star
Comments: 2538

Hi Christian,

Such issues should be investigated with help from our support team. In general the scenario you describe is supported. One recommendation which may help here to workaround the issue: instead of using appliance to perform backups replication, try to use some agent installed on Windows (for example agent running alongside the Management Server): go to Plans->Backup Replication->Create new plan and define some Windows agent to be used to replicate the backups; after that disable 2nd location option in original backup plan. It may help because of difference in network access methods used from appliance (which is Linux-based) and Windows (which should be more reliable) environments.

Thank you.