Skip to main content

Credential problem with backup tasks

Beginner
Comments: 13

I have a problem with several backup tasks that point to my primary storage node. 

Whenever I try to make a change to the task, the "Enter Credentials" dialog box pops up and no matter how many times I enter the correct credentials for the SN, it just keeps prompting. This happens both in IE and Chrome on Windows 7 and Windows 10.

I don't get this with any of the other storage nodes (I have a few others used for earlier testing) so it seems like the problem is related to this node. Both the ABA and storage node are on the latest version of ABA 12.5 (7970).

Forum Star
Comments: 2537

Hi,

The issue could be related to Storage Node credentials cached on the agent side (the agent which the location is browsed from). I've seen such issue, but the credentials prompt didn't block the plan editing, e.g. after you provide credentials once, and then press the Cancel button in the prompt, it still allows you to save the plan after editing. If this doesn't help, then it makes sense to restart Acronis Managed Machine service on the agent side (or restart the agent) and contact our support team for assistance if the problem still persists.

Thank you.

Beginner
Comments: 13

Vasily, you are correct in that the backup task has something odd going on with it where the credentials get refused but as you say, if you enter the creds once and the credential dialog pops up again and you cancel it, the job appears to work.

So I can kind of work around this for the short term but it should be assigned a bugtrack ID and addressed. Thanks for that.

I've now moved on to changing some of my backups where I was backing up to a primary and secondary storage node (my other post today) and I removed the secondary storage node and created a replication task instead. But when I tried to create my first replication task, both the source and destination (pri and sec storage nodes) prompt for credentials which fail and continue prompting.

So I tried it with network UNC path locations to Windows file servers and it works fine.

There is definitely something odd going on with storage nodes and credentials passed to them from the web console (?) that needs to be fixed.

Thanks

Pete

Forum Star
Comments: 2537

Hi Pete,

One more tip which may help: the agent which is responsible for performing the backup replication task must be able to resolve the _hostname_ of both of the Acronis Storage Node machines (source and target) to IP addresses properly. It could be the case that from the Management Server both of ASNs can be accessed by their hostnames, while from the agent chosen to run the backup replication task, this is not the case. If there are no problems with hostnames resolution, then you should contact our support team for assistance.

P.S. In the next update (Update 2) we're making changes to authentication mechanisms related to ASN: one of these changes is to get rid from requirement to disable UAC on ASN machine to access it (or use native "Administrator" account which allows to bypass UAC). Overall these changes should make the experience with ASN much smoother.

Thank you.