Skip to main content

SQL?

Beginner
Comments: 4

I am currently running Backup 11.7 for PC.  I only back up one machine (the machine the software is installed on).  I own a license to Backup 12.5 and am thinking about upgrading to be on the current release.

Since I only currently back up one machine I really don't want to install SQL on my desktop (I don't need it for anything else).  Does 12.5 require SQL to be installed?

Acronis Program Manager
Comments: 3013

Hi Michael,

With default installation Acronis Backup 12.5 uses SQLite DB, so there is no requirement (it's possible, but not obligatory) to install Microsoft SQL Server service anywhere.

Thank you.

Beginner

OK, but I do have to install SQLite?  What DB does 11.7 Backup for PC use?

Acronis Program Manager

Hi,

SQLite is practically just a database structure inside a file which is used by Acronis Management Server - there is no specific service associated with it which needs to be installed separately. All required files will be installed after you run the installation of Acronis Backup 12.5. For a single machine backup the list of required Acronis Backup components (which you can choose in the installation wizard) to be installed would include Acronis Management Server + Agent for Windows + Media Builder which are selected by default. The other components are optional but may be required for advanced scenarios, for example CLI utility or Acronis Storage Node.

In Acronis Backup 11.7 there was no specific DB used in standalone installations.

Thank you.

Beginner

Vasily, thanks for the explanation!

What would the advantages be for me (1 PC being backed up) to upgrade from 11.7 to 12.5?  I know it's a newer product so it's lifecycle is longer but it appears that several features were removed from 12.5 that existed in 11.7.  

Can you still do hourly backups?  Can you still mount a backup as a new drive?  It looks like you can't covert a backup to a virtual machine anymore. 

Does Acronis claim 12.5 is more reliable/robust than 11.7?

Thanks for the help!!!

TP
Forum Member
Comments: 23

If you only protect 1 PC I say stick to 11.7 - if it works for you there is no point switching to 12.5.

Acronis Program Manager

Michael,

As TP mentioned there is no real reason for upgrading right away except for keeping the maintenance contract active and not having to worry about product support expiration (see our lifecycle policy here). This would be true unless you are looking for some functionality implemented in v12.5 which you don't have in 11.7, such as centralized management for example (it was not possible in 11.7 with standard licenses). 

The functionality to convert backups into VM files is planned to be revived in 12.5 in future updates, so if you rely on this feature, it makes sense to wait until it becomes available in 12.5. Mounting backups as logical drives is already possible as well as performing hourly backups .

Thank you.

Beginner

Thanks for all the help guys!  You've convinced that that if 'it ain't broke, don't fix it!'  

I'll stay on 11.7 for now and wait until there's a compelling reason to upgrade.