Skip to main content

Agent for SQL addon and ABR Workstation or Virtual Edition

Regular Poster
Comments: 65

I have licensing question.

Can I purchase Agent for SQL addon for ABR Advanced Workstation or ABR Workstation edition?

I have Virtual Edition and several machines with workstation and server OS inside. For example on some workstation vm I have SQL server. Can I buy Agent for SQL addon for ABR Virtual Edition and use it inside workstation and server OS guest with regular Agent for Windows?

Regular Poster
Comments: 177

Hello Martinez
You are absolutely correct. If your host has a Virtual Edition license, and you purchase one ABR for Microsoft SQL license, you can use Agent for SQL on any virtual machines running on this host. No matter servers or workstations. (AFAIK. Acronis licensing is sometimes unpredictable;)

Regular Poster
Comments: 65

Hello Elenal,

Ok but what about my first question:

Can I purchase Agent for SQL addon for ABR Advanced Workstation or ABR Workstation edition? In documentation there is mentioned that we can use Agent for SQL with Agent for Windows from "server" version. What about Agent for Windows from Workstations editions?

Regular Poster
Comments: 177

Martinez, thank you for reading the documentation!
The statement about the "server" version is incorrect and is already fixed. You can use Agent for SQL on both server and workstation systems.

Beginner
Comments: 3

In the same vein, perhaps, I read that Agent for SQL Server was included with ABR 11.5 Advanced, but the wording seemed to imply that a separate license was required. I cannot find any link to buying an add-on license for Agent for SQL Server (for ABR 11.5 Advanced). Is a license required and if so, what is the link? Thanks

Beginner

Thanks. We purchased ABR 11.5 Advanced to have cluster functionality. With MS SQL Add-on, is that cluster functionality lost? If 2 Add-on licenses are purchased is cluster capability retained?

Forum Star
Comments: 1364

Here I can't suggest much but only point to the userguide - backing up clustered SQL servers with single-pass addon is mentioned there - http://www.acronis.com/support/documentation/ABR11.5/index.html#7128.ht…

Beginner

Okay It sounds like 2 Add-on licenses are required - one for each node. (2 ABR 11.5 licenses were purchased, so 2 Add-on licenses would be needed as well.)

Forum Star
Comments: 2672

Hello Pract,

thank you for your questions!

Fedor, thank you very much for helping!

Probably this page can be also helpful:

Each license of Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.5 Microsoft SQL Server Add-On enables you to install Agent for SQL (single-pass) onto a physical host and onto four virtual machines running on the same host.

Thank you.

Beginner

This is very usefully for me :)