Skip to main content

Agent Based Backup

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 2

I have 3 VMWare hosts with the latest version of the VMWare Agent installed. Everything is working like a charm, it performs agentless backups without a hitch. The problem I am having is that when creating a backup job, under "single pass" it shows "No Applications Detected". I have installed the Core, Windows and AD Agent in the Domain Controllers and the Core, Windows and Exchange Agents in the Mail Server. All of these are virtual servers running in a VMware hosts.

The problem is that it is not doing the application backup for AD or Exchange and hence I can't do an AD restore. I can recover the whole server, but not specific AD or Exchange data.

How do I tell the VMWare Agent to do an "Agent-Based" backup instead of an agent-less?

0 Users found this helpful
Acronis Program Manager
Comments: 3098

Hi Mario,

In Acronis Backup Advanced product there is currently no option to create single-pass backup for agent-less backup. You need to install Acronis backup agent inside the Exchange machine along with Exchange agent - this functionality is included into Acronis Backup Advanced for VMware license. After that you will be able to back up this machine just as usual physical machine (do not select it under Virtual Machines, but select it under "All machines with agents" list instead).

Note also that Exchange has to be backed up separately via Acronis Agent for Exchange - there is no single-pass for it yet even with locally installed agent. We're going to add single-pass (we call it application-aware backup) for virtual machines (agent-less) into the next version of Acronis Backup.

Thank you.
--
Best regards,
Vasily
Acronis Virtualization Program Manager

Beginner

HA!, I missed the part where I had to add the machines to the "Machines with Agents" category.

Thanks!!

Beginner
Comments: 9

Is that also true about the SQL Agent? Is it included with the licence for ABA 11.5 for VMware? I am currently backing up several VMs with ABA 11.5 and one of the VMs is a Windows Server 2008 R2 running SQL Server. It was not clear from the documentation how "single pass" works in this case, or if the SQL database could be quiesced just before the snapshot was taken.

Secondly, how does one go about installing this SQL agent from the AMA for VMware exactly?

Beginner

James C wrote:

Secondly, how does one go about installing this SQL agent from the AMA for VMware exactly?

You run the Acronis installation on the SQL Server and select the agents you wish to install. When it asks for the license server and you enter it, sleect your AMA for VMWare license. It will detect that you have the AMA for VMWare and allow you to install and activate the agent.

Beginner
Comments: 9

Thank you sir. I was wrongly looking for an agent download. You've been most helpful.