Skip to main content

Confirming licensing and coverage of Hyper-V Server

Beginner
Comments: 6

Ok. I've done some research and found that I think this SHOULD work, but I wanted to make sure here first.  I just purchased 3 licenses of "Acronis Backup Advanced 11.7 Universal License" a few months ago. I got the update to "Acronis Backup 12.5 Advanced Virtual Host".

I am going to deploy 3 physical servers with Hyper-V Server 2016, each running 2 Windows Server 2016 Standard VMs.

My understanding is that the 3 Virtual Host licenses I have will cover all my physical machines/VMs, but the question is HOW I have to install it.  I know if you have Windows Server on a physical host, then run Hyper-V as a role, you install Acronis on the Host OS and it covers the VMs automatically.

- Windows Server 2016 Host with Hyper-V Role (install Acronis AMS here)
 -- VM1 (protected)
 -- VM2 (protected)

But since you can't install Acronis Management Server on the Hyper-V Core Server host, rather only on a VM install of Windows Server... How does it work?  Do I just manually push the agent to VM2 on that host? And isn't there an agent that runs on the Hyper-V Server host OS to protect that too?

- Hyper-V Server Host (agent installed here)
 -- VM1 (install Acronis AMS here)
 -- VM2 (agent installed here)

And if I am correct in the above, then to protect the other two physical servers and their 4 VMs, do I just push agents to each of those Hyper-V Server Hosts and all 4 VMs from VM1 above?

-- VM1 (agent installed here)

-- VM1 (agent installed here)

Forum Star
Comments: 2660

Hi,

3 Virtual Host licenses are indeed sufficient for the described setup. Note however that you don't need to install the backup agents inside the VMs - you can still use the Agent for Hyper-V component which will enable agent-less backup of VMs AND the host backup itself. For Hyper-V core we support remote installation of Agent for Hyper-V (Agent for Windows is installed automatically along with Hyper-V one). Therefore the recommended setup would be as follows:

- Hyper-V Server Host1 (Agent for Hyper-V and Agent for Windows installed here remotely from AMS)
 -- VM2 (no agent is required)

- Hyper-V Server Host2 (Agent for Hyper-V and Agent for Windows installed here remotely from AMS)
 -- VM1 (no agent is required)

- Hyper-V Server Host3 (Agent for Hyper-V and Agent for Windows installed here remotely from AMS)
 -- VM1 (no agent is required)

The licenses will be assigned to the hosts automatically upon first backup, so 3 licenses will be enough to enable both host-level and VM-level backups.

Thank you.

Beginner

Great info! Thanks. I'll go that route and see if I run into any problems.

Beginner

So I've done the above... It's looking like backups are large for both Hosts and VMs... so the Hosts must be backing up the vhdx files in full, and then that same data is backed up on the VM level as individual files.  Should I just exclude the vhdx files from the host backups?

I also installed exchange on Host 2 VM 2... does that agent backup the whole machine or just the exchange database? If just the database, should I also exclude those files from the Host2VM2 backup so that isn't duplicated in backups?

Forum Star

Hi Brent,

When you back up a Hyper-V host itself, then all the data including .vhdx files is included into the archive. If you want to avoid double space consumption (since you backup VMs as well) then you should exclude .vhdx files via "Files filters" option in the backup plan applied to the Hyper-V host.

The Exchange agent is capable for capturing Exchange data only, so you can protect this machine using the following methods:

1) Perform agent-based backup of the Exchange VM (do not back it up as Hyper-V VM) via Agent for Windows + Agent for Exchange installed inside the VM. This would allow you to perform application-aware backup of entire system, so that you can restore either entire machine or separate Exchange items from it

2) Perform agent-less backup of the VM (select this machine with Hyper-V icon from Devices list) with Exchange DB files exclusion AND perform separate Exchange-level backup.

Thank you.

Beginner

Ok. So I excluded the vhdx files on the host backups. I installed the agents for AD on my two AD VMs and the Exchange agent on my Exchange server. I set those agents up as the "entire machine" backups with Application Aware settings for those programs respectively.  I disabled the Hyper-V VM backups for those machines now that the Agents are doing them on those VMs.

All seems well and good except it isn't backing up email.  I authenticated and it can list my database and all the mailboxes, but the backups fail with:

"SOAP protocol error has occurred while accessing the EWS server. SOAP code: ErrorInvalidServerVersion. SOAP message: The specified server version is invalid.. "

So... I tried doing a manual backup of a single mailbox and got the same error. Thoughts?

Here is the full error set:

Additional info:
------------------------
Error code: 22
Module: 309
LineInfo: 0x8D165E86FB81959B
Fields: {"$module":"mms_vsa64_7970","CommandID":"D332948D-A7A9-4E07-B76C-253DCF6E17FB"}
Message: TOL: Failed to execute the command. Backup plan 'Exchange mailboxes to // REMOVED FOR PUBLIC POSTING'
------------------------
Fields: {"$module":"agent_protection_addon_vsa64_7970","CommandID":"D332948D-A7A9-4E07-B76C-253DCF6E17FB"}
Message: TOL: Failed to execute the command. Backup plan 'Exchange mailboxes to //// REMOVED FOR PUBLIC POSTING'
------------------------
Error code: 41
Module: 307
LineInfo: 0xE6792A5EE190DE2C
Fields: {"$module":"agent_protection_addon_vsa64_7970"}
------------------------
Error code: 53
LineInfo: 0x2E7E9E174F1FB719
Fields: {"$module":"agent_protection_addon_vsa64_7970","FailCount":"2"}
Message: 2 activities have not succeeded. One of them is displayed.
------------------------
Fields: {"$module":"service_process_vsa64_7970","CommandID":"8F01AC13-F59E-4851-9204-DE1FD77E36B4"}
------------------------
Fields: {"$module":"gtob_backup_command_addon_vsa64_7970","CommandID":"8F01AC13-F59E-4851-9204-DE1FD77E36B4"}
------------------------
Error code: 103
Module: 623
LineInfo: 0x94F5F955B13DDE83
Fields: {"$module":"arx_agent_fork_vsa64_7970","IsReturnCode":"1"}
Message: A generic error of Microsoft Exchange backup component.
------------------------
Error code: 18
Module: 91
LineInfo: 0x7EDADE4ED07D5024
Fields: {"$module":"arx_agent_fork_vsa64_7970","IsReturnCode":"1"}
------------------------
Error code: 284
LineInfo: 0x3B69D552573C3A9B
Fields: {"$module":"arx_agent_fork_vsa64_7970"}
Message: Nothing is backed up. For the details, see the log. Last error:
------------------------
Error code: 11
LineInfo: 0xB3CE195211D173FF
Message: Cannot open public folder or mailbox 'arx://// REMOVED FOR PUBLIC POSTING...2-16EC-44EA-80A3-34B9F5901E9D'.
------------------------
Error code: 3130
LineInfo: 0x5B3CC972C81BD710
Message: Granular recovery can be performed to Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 SP1 or later.
------------------------
Error code: 3126
LineInfo: 0x5B3CC972C81BD710
Message: SOAP protocol error has occurred while accessing the EWS server. SOAP code: ErrorInvalidServerVersion. SOAP message: The specified server version is invalid..
Forum Star

Hi,

Can you please clarify the Exchange version you have installed? The error message indicates that there could be either an old unsupported version of Exchange (Exchange 2010 without SP1 for example) or that the Exchange version detection failed. If later is the case, then you should contact our support team for further assistance and investigation of the problem.

Thank you.

Beginner

I have 2016 installed, but it is linked to a 2010 SP3 ru18 server as well since we are mid-migration. I'm wanting to hold off on moving mailboxes to 2016 until I know they can be backed up.  Maybe backups would work on the 2016 mailboxes but not 2010?  Frankly I was surprised they all showed up in the list when I looked at the 2016 database... I'll try moving one mailbox and seeing if that one can be backed up...

Beginner

Nope... can't backup 2016 mailboxes either. I tried some created on that server and moved some to that server from 2010.  I guess I'll call support.