Skip to main content

Confirming licensing and coverage of Hyper-V Server

Beginner
Comments: 2

Ok. I've done some research and found that I think this SHOULD work, but I wanted to make sure here first.  I just purchased 3 licenses of "Acronis Backup Advanced 11.7 Universal License" a few months ago. I got the update to "Acronis Backup 12.5 Advanced Virtual Host".

I am going to deploy 3 physical servers with Hyper-V Server 2016, each running 2 Windows Server 2016 Standard VMs.

My understanding is that the 3 Virtual Host licenses I have will cover all my physical machines/VMs, but the question is HOW I have to install it.  I know if you have Windows Server on a physical host, then run Hyper-V as a role, you install Acronis on the Host OS and it covers the VMs automatically.

- Windows Server 2016 Host with Hyper-V Role (install Acronis AMS here)
 -- VM1 (protected)
 -- VM2 (protected)

But since you can't install Acronis Management Server on the Hyper-V Core Server host, rather only on a VM install of Windows Server... How does it work?  Do I just manually push the agent to VM2 on that host? And isn't there an agent that runs on the Hyper-V Server host OS to protect that too?

- Hyper-V Server Host (agent installed here)
 -- VM1 (install Acronis AMS here)
 -- VM2 (agent installed here)

And if I am correct in the above, then to protect the other two physical servers and their 4 VMs, do I just push agents to each of those Hyper-V Server Hosts and all 4 VMs from VM1 above?

-- VM1 (agent installed here)

-- VM1 (agent installed here)

Forum Star
Comments: 2535

Hi,

3 Virtual Host licenses are indeed sufficient for the described setup. Note however that you don't need to install the backup agents inside the VMs - you can still use the Agent for Hyper-V component which will enable agent-less backup of VMs AND the host backup itself. For Hyper-V core we support remote installation of Agent for Hyper-V (Agent for Windows is installed automatically along with Hyper-V one). Therefore the recommended setup would be as follows:

- Hyper-V Server Host1 (Agent for Hyper-V and Agent for Windows installed here remotely from AMS)
 -- VM2 (no agent is required)

- Hyper-V Server Host2 (Agent for Hyper-V and Agent for Windows installed here remotely from AMS)
 -- VM1 (no agent is required)

- Hyper-V Server Host3 (Agent for Hyper-V and Agent for Windows installed here remotely from AMS)
 -- VM1 (no agent is required)

The licenses will be assigned to the hosts automatically upon first backup, so 3 licenses will be enough to enable both host-level and VM-level backups.

Thank you.

Beginner
Comments: 2

Great info! Thanks. I'll go that route and see if I run into any problems.