Skip to main content

"Failed to read from sector" error

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 1

We're currently using the trial version of Acronis Backup 11.5, running a Hyper-V host (Windows Server 2012) with five virtual guests (Windows Server 2008 x2, Windows Server 2012 x 2, Windows Server 2003.).

Acronis Backup 11.5 is installed only on the Hyper-V host, and my first attempt at the backup resulted in errors: “Failed to read from sector ‘###,###,###’ of hard disk ‘1’.” The host is running 8 x 2TB hard disks in RAID10. The destination of the backup image is to a 4TB USB WD My Book 1230.

I also have a few questions:
1. Do I need additional licenses to install agents on the virtual guests?
2. I read that Universal Restore is built-in, but the software informed me that I lack the license for it.
3. Do I need a separate license for SQL agent support?
4. Does the Hyper-V host need to be in the same domain as the virtual guests for me to backup all the guests from the host?

Attachment Size
acronis_error.png 14.75 KB
0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 1377

1. With 'Acronis Backup Advanced for Hyper-V' you can install agent on host and all its virtual guests.
2. How exactly did it inform?
3. No - it's included - https://kb.acronis.com/content/46911
4. No

The error is most likely caused by hardware problem - try to check the disk with chkdsk /r . It may also be caused by insufficient permissions of the user running the Acronis Managed Machine service - try domain administrator credentials.

Beginner
Comments: 1

Fedor Larin wrote:

1. With 'Acronis Backup Advanced for Hyper-V' you can install agent on host and all its virtual guests.
2. How exactly did it inform?
3. No - it's included - https://kb.acronis.com/content/46911
4. No

The error is most likely caused by hardware problem - try to check the disk with chkdsk /r . It may also be caused by insufficient permissions of the user running the Acronis Managed Machine service - try domain administrator credentials.

Sorry I haven't responded. I wanted to run another backup after finishing chkdsk, but it's been running 2 days and at 82%. I also don't think it will finish since it seems to be backing up 6TB into a 4TB drive. The software doesn't seem to know the backup file will be larger than the storage before starting the process.