Skip to main content

How to Re-import Backup-Disk into Vaults

Beginner
Comments: 3

Hi All,

I've been using Acronis since Year 2014 with no major issue.However, as time pass we have some VM's no longer active. Thus, I plan to export the old Vault Backup-Disk to other location. However, im stuck at finding ways/method to re-import into vault. 2 Weeks google-ling + go thru the forum, couldnt find any solution. Is there anyway/method to re-import Vault Backup-Disk?

Forum Star
Comments: 2660

Hi Afiq,

Can you please clarify what you mean under "Vault Backup-Disk"? Is it managed vault under Acronis Storage Node? Also where do you want to migrate this data? Do you want to move it to some other Acronis Storage Node (installed on a separate machine)? Some clarifications would be really helpful to properly understand your request.

Thank you.

Beginner

Greetings Vasily Semyonov,

Truly Appreciate your fast response.

Yes, it is the Centralized Managed Vault and managed under Acronis Storage Node. I plan to migrate/export this old data from Acronis NAS into our different NAS Storage (without Acronis - just a raw file). I manage to find method for export Archive to different Location. But later on if required, how do i re-import it back into Acronis NAS Vault?

Example:
Path: Centralized Vault, Backup-Disk (Folder name)
Name: TestVM_Archive(1)
Storage Node: Acronis_Backup_Machine (Server name)
Type: Disk Archives
Number of Backups: 2 (1 Full & Incremental Backup) 

Greatly Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,
Afiq

Forum Star

Hi Afiq,

Thank you for the details. If I correctly understood you're planning to migrate old backups via exporting them from current location ("Acronis NAS") and storing as .tib files on a separate 2nd NAS device. What I still can't understand is why would you need to import these exported backups back into "Acronis NAS"? Note that you don't need to do that in order to perform recovery from such backups + I'd assumed that old backups would be required only to get some data from them once, but not to keep these backups permanently in "Acronis NAS".

There is indeed no option to re-import a standalone archive back into Acronis Storage Node managed vault, though one trick can be done: assuming that you have a standalone archive in .tib format where old backup of a machine is stored, you can back up some other small machine directly into this archive (see Backing up into existing archive) and additionally set up 2nd destination option in this backup plan, which will replicate the backups from the archive (including the old machine backups and the new small machine ones) into Acronis Storage Node managed vault.

Thank you.

In reply to by Vasily Semyonov

Beginner

Hi Vasily,

Yes correct, i wish to learn how to migrate those old backup & would plan to re-import back to Acronis NAS. Reason was, so that i could actively move around these backup archieve (.tib) file from Acronis NAS to another new Acronis Server (near future) without re-create new full backup (new Acronis NAS2 can simply proceed with Incremental Backup). To make it simple, to re-balance/housekeep current single Acronis NAS to another New Acronis NAS2.

Thanks for the alternative method. If possible, could you share how do i set the 2nd destinaion option to replicate into Acronis Storage Node? (sorry, i could'nt grasp/picture the method).

Truly appreciate your feedback. Greatly Thanks in Advance :-)

Best Regards,
M. Afiq

Forum Star

Hi Afiq,

If you're planning to move the backups around several locations, then unless you plan to use deduplication (if that's so, then disregard this paragraph), I'd recommended to use an unmanaged location, such as plain network share - in this case (without using Acronis Storage Node) the backups will be stored in "movable" format, and thus the .tib files can be manually copied across the environment. Note that if you store backups in a location managed by Acronis Storage Node, then you cannot simply copy the .tib files from it - here you always need the export/backup replication to be used from the product.

Also I forgot to mention one more possible way (to correct my previous comment): you can set up backup replication plan (Plans->Backup Replication) which will be run on demand and replicate local backups to Acronis Storage Node. Note that the backups located in the source ("Items to replicate") must be v11 format (Backup Options->Backup format) in order to successfully replicate them into Acronis Storage Node managed location if you plan to use deduplication on it.

ReplicationPlan.PNG

The 2nd destination option I mentioned is the following:

First you select some local/network folder location:

1stLocation.PNG 

Next you "Add location" and set some location managed by Acronis Storage Node as the target:

2ndLocation.PNG

Thank you.

Beginner

Marvelous Vasily sir,

Greatly Thanks. Truly Appreciate your fast & brilliant method. Will try it out.
Thanks soo much sir.

Best Regards,
Afiq