Skip to main content

How to remove virtual machines?

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 12

Hi,
I have removed some virtual machines in vSphere 5.5 over time. These machines are shown in Acronis Backup and there is no option to remove them from the management server. The machines are shown grayed out.

How can I remove orphaned virtual entries from Acronis?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Jens

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Moderator
Comments: 4435

Hi Jens,

Thank you for your posting! I would suggest to re-add the host to the AMS (remove the respective Agent from AMS and then add it again), so that the information on the current virtual machines was renewed.

Thank you,

Beginner

Hi,
thanks for the information. It would be nice to have a "refrehbutton" for this.

Acronis Program Manager
Comments: 3120

Hi Jens,

The list of VMs is reported to AMS from the backup agents which are connected to your virtual infrastructure (virtual appliance connected to vCenter for example). The infrastructure view is updated every 1-5 minutes and the changes in it must be reflected in AMS view as well. The orphaned VMs may be left on AMS in case you have some non-responding backup agents (appliances) which can be checked in "All physical machines" list. Therefore removing the non-responding appliances from AMS (from "All physical machines" list) should help to resolve the issue. If this doesn't help then the problem is somewhere else (inconsistent AMS database) and you should contact our support team for assistance.

Thank you.
--
Best regards,
Vasily
Acronis Virtualization Program Manager

Beginner

Hi Vasily,
what do you mean with "All physical machines"? Is it "All machines with agents"? The machines in this group are all up and responding?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Jens

Acronis Program Manager

Hi Jens,

Yes, I meant "All machines with agents" - sorry for confusion (that's where appliances and physical agents reside).

Thank you.
--
Best regards,
Vasily

Beginner

Hi Vasily,
there are only physikal machines. No appliances?

Acronis Program Manager

Hi Jens,

There can be a physical machine with Acronis Agent for VMware (Windows) installed - it is also capable for connection to vCenter/ESXi host and managing virtual infrastructure. The list of VMs is retrieved from this agent. Additionally it may be retrieved from vCenter integration functionality - right click on "Virtual Machines"->Configure VMware vCenter integration (see attached screen shot). The integration can be (and it's recommended to be) disabled if you're not planning to use automatic backup agents distribution (agent binding) or automatic appliances deployment.

Thank you.
--
Best regards,
Vasily

Attachment Size
284061-120940.png 123.55 KB
Beginner

I don't understand the mechanisms for connecting or not connection or integrating or not intergrating. I think I can live with this grayed out machines.

Beginner
Comments: 7

Hi,

i've the same problem with shown old machines which no exist anymore.

Why is there no button to remove these old non exist machines? Or a refresh/recreation of inventories

Acronis should fix this!

Wolfgang

Acronis Program Manager

Hi Wolfgang,

As mentioned in my previous comment the list of the VMs is obtained from the Agent for ESXi (Virtual Appliance or Windows Agent), so if this agent is offline, but still registered on Acronis Management Server then there may be such inconsistency of the view on the virtual infrastructure from Acronis interface and from the vSphere interface. If this is not the case then it makes sense to contact our support team for assistance with the issue so that we can investigate and fix the problem.

Thank you.
--
Best regards,
Vasily

Beginner

Hi Vasily,

all virtual appliances are up & running/online.

I tried also reboot of virtual appliance and AMS.
Unchanged, still see the removed virtual machines.

Regards
Wolfgang

Acronis Program Manager

Hi Wolfgang,

Thank you for the additional details. There was a known issue with Acronis Management Server (AMS) database inconsistency when vCenter Integration is enabled on AMS (internal issue ID: ABR-69530). The root cause of the problem is fixed in the latest build of Acronis Backup 11.5 available on our website, while the symptoms have to be cleaned up manually as follows:

First of all you should disable vCenter Integration (VI) in management console connected to AMS (right-click on vCenter in the left tree). Check the logs to confirm that vCenter Integration is successfully disabled. If there are new errors in the logs after disabling VI and VI is not disabled, then do the following:

1. Stop the AMS service (Win+R->services.msc)
2. Execute "delete from InstanceAspect where HostID='00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000'" using osql tool from command prompt (Win+R->cmd):

osql delete from InstanceAspect where HostID='00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000'

3. Start the AMS service
4. Disable VI
5. Delete all virtual appliances from the AMS (from Machines with Agents->All Machines with Agents)
6. Enable VI
7. Add virtual appliances back to AMS

If there are problems following the instructions please contact our support team for assistance.

Thank you.
--
Best regards,
Vasily

Beginner

If you have a solution then please post it here!

Beginner

I could not fix the problem.

I did a reinstall of AMS on a proper Windows.
If now i delete/remove a VM in vcenter, it disapeers in AMS.