Skip to main content

Backups won't work after updating to ABR11 17437

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 14

Hi to all,

after updating to build 17437 today, backups fail on two servers (2008R2 Enterprise).

Server 1:
Starting backup jobs immediately quits with this error:
Fehlercode: 41
Module: 307
LineInfo: e6792a5ee190dd9e
Felder: $module : agent_protection_addon_vs
Nachricht: ProtectCommand: Ausführen des Befehls fehlgeschlagen.

Server 2:
Backup started and then hangs just before job is finished.

Before I use the clean up utility and reinstall the build 17318, any suggestions anyone?

0 Users found this helpful
Regular Poster
Comments: 113

Nach einem Update auf eine neue Version öffne (bzw. bearbeite) ich immer alle Backup-Pläne und speichere sie dann neu ab. Danach waren die Fehlermeldungen (jedenfalls bei mir) immer weg.

Vor einem Update exportiere ich auch immer meine Pläne als xml. Sollte beim Update was schiefgehen, kann ich sie hinterher wieder importieren.

Beginner
Comments: 4

Hi Jens,

I had the same error. The upgrade deleted my license. After I reentered the key every thing works fine.

Kind regards
Stephan

Beginner

Thank you for responding.

I tried all the things you suggest, both didn't work for me on server 1 (with the error message above).

Then I
- made a repair install --> Still same error
- uninstalled with Acronis Cleanup utility, reinstalled the new build with two reboots --> Still same error
- uninstalled the new build with Acronis Cleanup utility, reinstalled build 17318 --> old errors, but at least I can do my backups again...

For server 2, I wait if backups run tomorrow.

On Monday, I'll open a case and see what Acronis will say...

Beginner
Comments: 1

The same issue applies to my backups!
I perform backup to NAS which worked fine wirh build 17318. after upgrading to 17437 only backup to local usb disks still work, even non scheduled backups don't work to NAS.
Erasing and reinstalling build 17318 made backup to NAS work fine again.
Acronis should immediately take care on this issue!

Beginner

Opened a case yesterday. Really annoying:

I have to install the latest build and send data from Acronis Info Tool. Several reboots of the server included...

What is strange: Can't backup data on server 1, backup fails immediately. On server 2 one job runs ok, another one stops while catalog operations at THE SAME POINT (two times). When I stop the job, I get this error:

Seems that the backup was ok, although I didn't try a restore till now.

Forum Star
Comments: 4769

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your messages.

We are very sorry for this issue and are currently investigating it. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Jens, we are still working on the case and if you have additional questions about it please contact me directly.

Alexander, I would really appreciate if you could contact our Support team with this report so that we can help you with resolving this issue.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.

Beginner
Comments: 13

I have same exact error found out you uncheck the DR report and backup is good but whats up with the DR report ? I have ticket created with support lets see what happens
spent several hours working with this upgrade and I fear many many more hours until things are figured out

Beginner

Where did you go to uncheck the DR report?

Beginner

To resolve my problem I turned unchecked the "Name backup files using the archive name, as in Acronis True Image Echo, rather than auto-generated names". I usually check it because I prefer doing my own archiving with batch file scripts instead of using whats built in acronis.

Hope that saves someone out there!

Beginner

I would be careful with such workarounds. I reinstalled the working build 17318 again. Beneath all problems, at least I can do my backups and know they work. I don't have much confidence in the latest build, when searching workarounds, do you all checked if you can restore your backups?

Opened a ticket and Acronis now works since almost two days on it. Seems to be a bigger problem...

Beginner
Comments: 12

Add me to the list. Here is my case number: 01544531

I was able to valadate the backup. Everything else in the log looks normal except for this.

ProtectCommand: Failed to execute the command.
Additional info:
--------------------
Error code: 41
Fields: $module : agent_protection_addon_vs
--------------------
Error code: 3
Module: 329
LineInfo: 8edc81ea38faba42
Fields: $module : gtob_backup_command_addon_vs
--------------------

1 Information 3/28/2012 5:58:31 PM Command 'Backing up' is running.
2 Information 3/28/2012 5:58:38 PM Analyzing partition '1-0'...
3 Information 3/28/2012 5:58:39 PM Create Incremental Backup
To file: "bsp://192.168.1.14"
Password-protected
Compression: High
Exclude: Files matching mask
Match criterion: *\System Volume Information\*{3808876B-C176-4e48-B7AE-04046E6CC752}; ...
Ask for the first media: No

4 Information 3/28/2012 5:58:40 PM Pending operation 151 started: 'Creating partition image'.
5 Information 3/28/2012 5:58:59 PM Locking partition 0-0...
6 Information 3/28/2012 5:59:50 PM Pending operation 151 started: 'Creating partition image'.
7 Information 3/28/2012 6:00:33 PM Pending operation 148 started: 'Saving partition structure'.
8 Information 3/28/2012 6:00:33 PM Command 'Backing up' has completed successfully.
Task 'Incremental backup' has failed on machine 'john-HP1.pathfinderlld.com'.

Forum Star

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

data center, could you please let me know your case number, I could not find it under your current e-mail address.

Jens, we have escalated your case to our Expert team and the issue is being investigated.

John, according to the latest information from the case, during the remote session the backups started running without issues. We would appreciate if you could keep us updated.

Thank you for keeping us informed and if you need additional assistance please let me know.

Thank you.

Beginner

I can assure you the problem is still occurring and has not been resolved. The support tech insisted that everything was fine even though he remoted in to my server and watched 2 backups fail with this error. He refused to escalate the case and said he would report it to someone, though I have to wonder if he did.

Forum Star

Hi John,

Thank you for the update, I will deliver your feedback to our Management team and we will make sure this issue is resolved.

I apologize for the inconvenience and in case you have additional questions, please let us know.

Thank you.

Beginner

Additional info:
--------------------
--------------------
--------------------

Failed again today.

Should I contact support about this again?

Forum Star

Hello John,

Thank you for the update.

We are very interested in resolving this issue for you, we would really appreciate if you could contact our Support team and provide us with additional diagnostic information from your machine.

For all the Customers that experience backup issues with Update 0.5, please post the full error message and AcronisInfo report, it will really help us in determining the cause of these issues.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you.

Beginner

Well after contacting support yesterday and taking even more drastic measures such as creating a new vault and job I am still seeing the error. This is after reinstalling the management server previously.

Additional info:
--------------------
--------------------
--------------------

Forum Member
Comments: 27

Similar, but different problems. I have two backups of two different disk on the same machine to the same eSata disk. One runs fine. The other runs fine if I run it manually but always fails to start when run on schedule. I have updated the Acronis drivers as advised by Support and deleted and recreated the backup task without fixing the behaviour. Also strange is that it always wants to run a Tower of Hanoi level 6 backup but always produces a full backup when run manually (& successfully).

case number # 01546334

Additional info:
--------------------
--------------------
Error code: 29
LineInfo: d63b333701123474
Message: LaunchBackupCommand: Failed to execute the command.
--------------------
Error code: 58
LineInfo: c37471ceffa18282
Message: No backup items were resolved: '[\local\hd_sign(EA4F930C),mms::disk::disk]'.
--------------------

Forum Member

Now the problem has worsened. Finally the backup that was working has begun to fail:

Additional info:
--------------------
--------------------
Error code: 110
Module: 161
LineInfo: fa6ac65d19a9780e
Fields: IsReturnCode : 1, $module : disk_bundle_vs
--------------------
Error code: 110
LineInfo: fa6ac65d19a9780e
Fields: $module : disk_bundle_vs
--------------------
Error code: 78
LineInfo: 5e30d0199f79fc77
Message: An error has occurred while running the backup and recovery engine.
--------------------
Error code: 1060
Module: 1
LineInfo: a76a4f127d47285c
Error code: 91
Module: 64
LineInfo: bae6e99b422c0e0c
Fields: code : 8, $module : disk_bundle_vs
Message: Failed to validate backup archive 'C_2012_03_23_23_00_18_063D' from the location with ID 'file:N:\TI_Backups\'.
--------------------

Beginner

Just a hint: I reinstalled 17318 and everything works fine. Except the fact that the management console crashes after some days... But comparing to 17437 I don't care about that. At least I have backups...

Forum Member

Further info: Although the validation task failed immediately, the archive is valid as shown by a subsequent validation I ran manually. Moreover, the backup that had been failing consistently ran successfully last night to create a Level 2 differential backup

It seems all the errors are caused by an inability to open the disk properly from scheduled tasks whereas this has maybe already been done when the tasks are run manually.

Beginner

In my case, I can't start my backup tasks manually or scheduled. First thing I accused was the scheduler but manually starting the task doesn't work either. So you may have luck, but beware of side effects. IMHO the build is buggy so I won't use it and wait for a new build.

Beginner

I am having the same problems and more. I have also receiving the Acronis error "Failed to check the license" and Windows error "Core Service Process encountered a problem and needed to close." In addition, the "next backup" dates are off by up to 27 days. I have been relaying this information to expert support via a previous case that morphed into these problems (case #01496366).

Anton, I created the log you requested. Unfortunately, it is too large to attach to this post.

Forum Member
Comments: 23

@Evan

I'm seeing a similar issue about the "Next run time" for backups. Out of curiosity, what backup scheme are you using? In my case, I'm using a GFS scheme, so logically it's picking the weekly / monthly backup instead of daily for the next one to run. A workaround for this is to open / re-save the backup plan, until you see the correct next date / time to be run.

Beginner

Kurosh,

I too am using a GFS scheme. In addition, I had created three groups under managed machines and assigned workstations to these groups. I then created three backup plans, one for each group. On the details tab for the backup plans, the next start time is correct. When I look at all machines with agents, the next start time is inconsistant accross machines within the same group. This applies to all three groups. I picked one backup plan to test. This backup plan is assigend to a group with four computers. The next start time should be April 4th. Currently, one machine says the 4th, one machine says the 6th, one machine says the 27th, and one machine says "None". I have opened and re-saved the backup plan for this group three times. The current deployment state is deploying, and the next start times on all machines with agents is still inconsistant. I will keep you advised.

Beginner

Hello,

same here, exactly. CaseID: 01549101

After upgrading to the newest build:

ProtectCommand: Ausführen des Befehls fehlgeschlagen.
Zusätzliche Info:
--------------------
--------------------
Fehlercode: 1
Module: 408
LineInfo: 9418a040040a4e4b
Felder: $module : disk_bundle_vs
Nachricht: Die Funktion ist nicht verfügbar.
--------------------
Module: 202
LineInfo: ec81f6265c05828b
Felder: IsReturnCode : 1, $module : mms_vs
Nachricht: Die angeforderte Funktion wurde nicht gefunden.
--------------------

Recreation of the jobs didnt work out.

Forum Star

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for the update.

We are working closely with our Development team to address all the issues that you have reported in Update 0.5, we are very sorry for any inconvenience.

Should you need additional assistance or if you have additional questions about your cases, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you.

Beginner
Comments: 2

Same situation after upgrading to build 17437.
Case-ID 01552495

Zusätzliche Info:
--------------------
--------------------
Module: 149
LineInfo: 15b308bfdeeeb9e
Nachricht: Ungültige Parameter spezifiziert.
--------------------

Beginner

Here is a (hopefully temporary) workaround:

1. set your VSS-Provider to MS-VSS, not "automatic" or "Acronis"
2. backup only to an unmanaged store without deduplication

seems to be a problem with the storage node and the VSS-drivers.

Bad thing, the build seems not to be tested before release...

Forum Member
Comments: 42

I found the problem. It happens whenever you have an external USB/firewire hard drive connected. Disable the devices and it should work. I have alerted Acronis support about this bug.

Beginner

@TucsonPC
thank you for the tip but it didnt work for me.

Beginner

Got the following info from Acronis support today:

For Windows Server 2008 R2 go to registry:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Acronis\MMS\Configuration\License

Make sure that there is a value within "LicenseServerAddress", if not, put in the IP of the license server. Worked for me, at least I could make some test backups. I still cannot write backups to tape, backups to direct attached USB drive seem to work. I will have a look at that the next days.

Go to the servivce "Acronis Managed Machine Service". Make sure that the service is run with the "Acronis Agent User".

Maybe this will help others here...

Forum Member

It's just been a nightmare of one issue after another until it got to the point where nothing would run and it said it had licence problems. Uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version. First backup ran ok manually. Second seems to be running ok, but when I look at the task "What to back up" setting it is stuck again "Resolving..." - so it doesn't look as though the scheduled run will work.

I'm ready to toss Acronis in the bin. All I want is a backup that works reliably.

Beginner

Another point: As you said, the user runs into other errors... In my case, backup jobs went fine to hard disks, when I tried to backup to tape (LTO4), I got another error message:

Zusätzliche Info:
--------------------
--------------------
Fehlercode: 93
Module: 67
LineInfo: 918e1eda0cd43c99
Nachricht: Ungültiger Speicherort-URI.
--------------------

Backup fails...

So I give it another try and uninstalled Acronis. As I got several problems with SQL Express 2005 (Windows Update wanted to install a patch over and over again), I rebooted the server (no problem regarding my efforts, I'm bored to maximum and have all the time in the world), then tried to uninstall SQL Express. Won't work, process stopped without any hints. So I assumed there is a problem with the Acronis instance. Ready to reinstall the whole server, I made a last try, NOT RECOMMENDED TO OTHERS WHO REFUSE TO REINSTALL THEIR SERVERS, so try at own risk!

Installed Revo Uninstaller and forced deinstallation of SQL Express 2005, afterwards used Ccleaner to get rid of useless registry entries. Rebooted the server, then manually edited the registry and deleted all entries with the Acronis-SQL-String in it. Another reboot, now I was able to make a new installation of Acronis. Till now, everything works fine, but I'm scared to install the 17437 on our second server.

Forum Member

I completely uninstalled version 17437 including all settings and reinstalled the older version 17318. So far so good. I'll see how long that lasts.

Forum Star

Hello Jens and Alan,

Thank you for keeping us posted on your progress and we are very sorry about the issues that you have experienced.

We have your cases in our system and I would appreciate if you could let me know if you would like to get additional assistance.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.

Beginner

Hi Anton,

thank you for replying. You said I could have additional assistance. Frustrating that I feel I don't have any assistance from Acronis at all. It's over a week now that I heard from german support team. They are "investigating" as they told me. I really think about turning to alternative software. We bought maintenance and support and get nearly no help at all, information is poor and it seems that it is a question of luck to find someone from Acronis who can help.

All I got till now are excuses in this forum which don't resolve the problem. It takes me a lot of time to find workarounds to get at least a backup. Compute with confidence? There was a time this was right, but not these days...

Forum Star

Hello Jens,

Thank you for the update, I forwarded your comments and the case to our Management team to get it addressed, we are very sorry that you faced the issue with our software and support.

Please let me know if there is anything we can do for you.

Thank you.

Beginner
Comments: 6

Hi,

I've just filed another case at Acronis (#01566178) regarding different status reports on AMS compared to directly connected to the agent.

Why I mention it on this thread?

I found the same error messages as mentioned by John, Jens and Alan.

But, my backups seem to finish as I can find a valid backup in the vault after these errors.

BfN, Konrad

Query from AMS:
Additional info:
--------------------
--------------------
LineInfo: 1cd98aae889424f9
--------------------
Error code: 1060
Module: 1
LineInfo: b43e776571144dec
--------------------
Error code: 33
Module: 7
LineInfo: df81da2c74ec50a6
--------------------
Error code: 50243
Module: 16
LineInfo: 14181c22ef45b00b
--------------------
Error code: 9
Module: 0
LineInfo: 2aacb7b2ab852ac
Fields: code : 2147942421, $module : disk_bundle_vs
--------------------
Error code: 65520
Module: 0
LineInfo: bd28fdbd64edb8e0
Fields: code : 2147942421, $module : disk_bundle_vs
--------------------

Query directly on the Agent:
Additional info:
--------------------
--------------------
--------------------

Forum Member

Two days in so far and version 17318 has run both backups ok twice on schedule with no errors.

Beginner

I receive the below error when backing up locally to a hard disk.

Additional info:
--------------------
--------------------
Error code: 17
Module: 309
LineInfo: 9a10fc1f8d3b96b4
Fields: $module : C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Acronis\BackupAndRecovery\Common\service_process.exe
Message: Factory for a command with ID = '8F01AC13-F59E-4851-9204-DE1FD77E36B4' cannot be found.

Beginner

Expert support told me that the message "Failed to find the URI of the last backup." is generated by a problem with the storage node. I was also told that I did not have enough resources to use the storage node. In addition, it was recommended that I remove version 17437 by using abr_cleanup and install build 17375 (acquired through support). I was also told that the inconsistencies on the next backup time, while using the GFS scheme, was an error and would be fixed on a later build. I installed 17375 on my server and four workstations and created two unmanaged centralized vaults. I ran backups using the GFS scheme. Currently I am receiving the following errors and warnings:

Server:
Operation failed: synchronizing with agent

Workstations:
Failed to get VSS metadata for backup. The request is not supported.

Failed to create the volume snapshot. The request is not supported.

Command 'Validating' has completed with warnings. The activity has been cancelled. The running task has been cancelled.

Command 'Validating' has completed with warnings. The activity has been cancelled. An error has occurred while running the backup and recovery engine.

Operation with partition '0-0' was terminated. Read error. Error occurred while reading the file. The semaphore timeout period has expired.

Failed to read backup information. The specified vault is probably unavailable. Cannot find location.

Validation:
The network location is unavailable at the moment.

Current status:
I have validated backups in the vaults after clicking retry on numerous occasions. I have implemented silent mode (pending results), and I no longer receive the message "Failed to find the URI of the last backup."

Forum Member

Still running fine without a single error for me since clean uninstall of 17437 and re-installation of version 17318.

Beginner

Got the same problem after update from 17318 to 17437...and all the info doesen't help!

Zusätzliche Info:
--------------------
--------------------
Fehlercode: 3
Felder: $module : gtob_backup_command_addon_vs
Nachricht: URI des letzten Backups konnte nicht gefunden werden.
--------------------

Beginner

Hi all,

My errors went away after disabling the "Desaster Recovery Report" in the backup plans - just as 'data center' has already reported in his message of March, 27th.

BfN, Konrad

According to Acronis a known bug and they are currently working on a fix.

Beginner

Hi Konrad,

great :-) backups work after disabling "Desaster Recovery Report" in the plans.

Thanks

Beginner

Bitte, gern geschehen... & thanks for the feedback

Tschüss, Konrad

Beginner

Hallo Anton,

I'm a little bit astonished, that this case didn't get any further contribution since a month, because my customer has still this problem after upgrading and is not able to backup to tape since some month. This is of course not accectable. I checked the diverse hints, especially concerning the license and the desaster recovery plan - but this is here not the point. So, what else could help? I wouldn't like to reinstall everything, to tell the truth! Thanks, Jürgen

Beginner

Hi Juergen,

with 17437 there were problems of different kind over and over again. When it seemed to work, after a few days I got another problem and backups failed. Since updating to 17438, everything works fine so far. Except the fact, that when updating 2 servers, one got an issue with license server, I had to reinstall / repair license server. Can't understand that there are problems with that license server thing after updating a new build....

Regarding reinstallation: I would recommend to uninstall EVERVYTHING you can find from Acronis, even the SQL server! Or, if it is possible, reinstall OS and the the newest Acronis build. There are entries from Acronis in registry which won't just uninstall with the regular routine. You think this is too much effort? I have completed this procedures (without reinstalling OS) for about 5-10 times... Very disappointing that Acronis just don't care. I tried several times contacting the Acronis support, just in one case I got a hint that helped (for a few days, then I ran into another problem). Not a bad quote if you remind that you have a support contract you pay for. Other infos I got from this forum (from other members, Acronis team gave me useless apologies) or tried on my own.

Last try for me with build 17438, if that doesn't work I'll switch to other products, can't be much worse...

Regards,
Jens

Beginner

I saw that in my licenceserver the column "used" was "0" for all my licences, but acronis started properly and made this mistakes above. So i reinstalled all my servers (only Acronis, not Windows) and enter the IP-address of my licenceserver. Now, overall is ja "1" there, so the licence from the licenceserver assign to all my servers. It works for 4 days now, without an error. Maybe it could help.