Skip to main content

Cannot find the specified archive

Beginner
Posts: 2
Comments: 4

Backups have been running fine for months. Recently, they've been completing successfully, but the validation fails almost immediately with the following:

Cannot find the specified archive.
Additional info:
------------
Error code: 7
Module: 161
LineInfo: a0f87a51d6f9ccf1
Fields: IsReturnCode : 1, $module: E:\Program Files\Acronis\BackupAndRecovery\mms.exe
Message: Cannot find the specified archive.
------------

I've even recreated the backup jobs, but the new jobs return the same error. Anyone have a clue where I need to start tracking down the error? Thanks

Beginner
Posts: 2
Comments: 4

This is backing up to a USB drive directly attached to the machine. The system is 2003R2 32-bit and is running Acronis B&R 10.

Forum Hero
Posts: 613
Comments: 8747

what build of ABR are you using?

Have you tried running a validation manually?

Have you installed any other Acronis product recently?

Beginner
Posts: 2
Comments: 4

The build is 10.0.0.12708.

I have attempted to run the validation manually, and it also fails right off the bat. Within a couple seconds of starting the process, the baloon pops up and says validation failed.

There never have been any other Acronis products installed on this server.

I have tried to recreate the backup jobs and completely removed everything from the backup directory, and the validation still fails.

Beginner
Posts: 2
Comments: 4

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with this problem, but it's always hung around in the back on my mind. The data stored on the drives is around 105GB, but the backup size is around 31GB. Compression is set to normal. The backups have always been this size, even when the validation succeeded. I've had to restore a few files, but so far I've never had a problem with anything missing. Unfortunately, I don't have another server to restore everything to, but I've done a cursory look of the folders in the backups to what is on the server, and it appears everything is there. But... there is the size difference. This may be a completely different issue as the validations fail almost immediately.

Forum Hero
Posts: 613
Comments: 8747

When validation occurs it is only the image that is compared p ABR and TIH for that matter recalculate the checksums for an image and compare them to those in the image. Once the image is made the source is not used for validation.

What might be preventing validation is RAM in the server starting to degrade - normally this reveals itself during imaging, but validation also pushes RAM to it's limits. Might be worth running Memtest86 for 24 hours - though the server will be down for this period.

Beginner
Posts: 2
Comments: 4

The problem is resolved. I ended up chatting with an Acronis tech support person (I don't know what everyone else's experience has been with their chat, but I don't recommend it. I've only used it twice, but it takes the person 5 minutes to respond back after I typed a response - it took an hour to pretty much do almost nothing but recap what the problem was. This got me very frustrated, and I hope they fix this.) In a nutshell, at the tail end of the support session, he had me extract the AcronisAgentWindows.msi file from the installation file and do a repair. The repair was unsuccessful because explorer.exe had one of the Acronis files in use, so the repair rolled back. I tried to reboot the system and retry the repair. Same problem. A baloon popped up on the desktop and said that the Acronis Managed Machine Service couldn't be connected to, even though this service was running, so the upgrade caused some kind of problem or possibly exacerbated the original problem. I did a complete uninstall include removing all settings and backup jobs, deleted the remnant Acronis program folder and files, rebooted, and reinstalled. The jobs are completing and verifying now.