Skip to main content

Adding an Exclusion

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 16

OK, how do I add an exclusion to a backup job?   I display the Exclusions tab then click the + sign. In the popup box I type the file spec, in this case  C:\Windows\Temp 

And now what?  If press Enter the pop disappears but I don't see the new entry in the list. So I tried clicking OK after typing in the new entry. It thinks for a second, returns me to the Backup screen. But when I select  Exclusions again, the new entry isn't there

So what is the secret? 

BTW contrary to the tutorial, there is no "..." where I can select the file or folder. I have to type it in.

Thanks

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 1781

I'm looking at ATI 2019 now, but I think it's the same.

When you click on the + sign, the new box that appears will have ... at the right side. If you click on that you can navigate to the folder to exclude.

Forum Star
Comments: 1249

After clicking on the Exclusions tab Click the + sign and at the right side of the box you will see ... See attached file.

Attachment Size
553188-204474.png 35.48 KB
Legend
Comments: 28791

What type of backup do you want to set an exclusion for here?
Files & Folders backup or Disks & Partitions?

Forum Member
Comments: 16

As I said in my post I do not have the three little dots. See the attached file..

Is that because the backup is Files & Folders as opposed to Disks & Partitions?   Can I change it or do I have to create a new backup?

Attachment Size
553194-204481.jpg 75.52 KB
Legend

To exclude a folder such as C:\Windows\Temp from a Files & Folders backup task, open the Source panel and deselect that folder.  You cannot have it included in the source panel and then exclude it in the Exclusions page!

Beginner
Comments: 2

similar problem here:

I have a folder f:\test

containing 100 subfolders, each week getting a handful additional ones

each subfolder contains 3 to 5 subsubfolders

each of this subsubfolders contains subsubsubfolders

two of these subsubsubfolders are always named "cache" and "thrash"

I want to backup only f:\test\*.* (no other folders in f:-root), but exclude all subsequent "cache" and "trash" subfolders beneath (but backup every other subsubsubfolder).

How would I do so without deselecting eighthundred+ "trash" and "cache" subfolders manually - and without tweaking each week from new?

Legend

Ronny, see response in your own topic here.