Skip to main content

3 days cloning and still processing

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 7

Hello,

I started a complete disk cloning last saturday at 4h00 PM. This morning at 8h00 AM, it was still processing (almost 3 days). The source hard disk is 3 TB and the new one is 6 TB, connected through USB 2.0. The progression bar is not moving at all (about 10%) but the light of the new HD is normally blinking, like if something was still writting over the new disk. The remaining time was about one day until yesterday and it says 8 minutes since the last 24h00.
My PC is a notebook ASUS with 32 GB of RAM and W8.1 64bit.

I am wondering if this is regular or if I have to stop the process...

Thank you for your help.

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 8172

Open Windows Task Manager and click the Performance tab. View each disk and ascertain if data read/write is occurring. If yes then cloning is still at work. If no then the process has stopped working.

Beginner

Thank you for your quick reaction. How can I open the windows Task Manager ? It seems that Acronis replaced the operating system, the screen is blue with the Acronis windows in the middle. I do not have any Windows like screen. I took a picture of the screen here attached. I tried tthe Ctrl + Alt + Del to launch the task manager, but nothing happened.

Attachment Size
286386-121081.jpg 3.46 MB
286386-121084.jpg 1.79 MB
Forum Hero

What are the transparent outlines that look like open windows on your screen? Have they been there throughout the entire clone procedure? Can you minimize the clone task window?

If your machine has become unresponsive then that is a sure indication that the clone has failed. If
you can minimize the clone task window to expose the start button, right click there to bring up a menu where you will find the task manager short cut.

Beginner

Those transparent outlines come from the drag of the acronis window. It lets lines, probably because of a screen refresh pb. This is the sign that the screen is not frozen. I am outside for the moment, I'll be back on my PC within 3 hours. I will try your advice, but I did not see any start button. I do not remember anything behind the only Acronis visible window.

By the way, I didn't tell I am cloning the boot disk of my PC. I think this is the reason why Windows is not active (and probably can't be active).

Thank you again for your help.

Beginner

It appears that the screen is not frozen. I can minimize the window. But there is no start button and no Windows OS. The new hard disk is still blinking and I can hear permanent access to the disk. So everything seems normal except this clone task windows displaying "time left 8 minutes" since 30 hours.
If it has to write 3 Tb throught a 2.0 USB, it should probably takes quite a long time (at least more than 2 days). The clonning is running for now 3 days and 4 Hours.

Beginner

I finally cancelled the cloning. Obviously, it would have last more than 10 days.
The new disk contained part of the data, but the cloning was far to be completed. I think the USB 2.0 is much too slow.
I put my new hard disk onto a 3.0 USB device, and I started a new cloning. It seems to go much faster. I will have beter idea tomorrow.

Forum Hero

Ok, so I take it that you are using the Clone tool which you started by choosing the Tools & Utilities from the menu on the left side of the main GUI screen correct?

I also take it that you did this from within the installed Windows application and once you configured the clone task the application told you that a reboot was required to perform the operation, correct?

Beginner

Yes, it's all correct.

This morning, after 10 hours running, the task progression was clearly much farther than my previous attempt after 3 days (screenshot attached). So my conclusion is : for a 3 TB disk clonning, USB 3.0 is compulsory.

Thank you for helping.

Attachment Size
286596-121099.jpg 2.56 MB
Forum Hero

Well you are partly correct. You are actually working with the full capacity of the target drive which in this case is 6TB. Reason is that unless you specified otherwise by setting up the clone in manual mode the clone tool will move all data from the source drive to the target in a proportional manner meaning to fill all space on target of course the majority of that space is available space.

Now you need to realize that the end result of your efforts here might not be what you desired. For one thing it is not recommended that you clone an OS System disk from within the Windows environment as corruption can result. This is why the application requires a reboot to run the procedure so you are trusting here that all data has been written to disk and all buffers cleared before the reboot to insure no data loss or corruption results. Not something I am willing to do, trust Windows to make the call on that, no thanks. This is why it is recommended that a clone procedure be run while booted from the bootable media that you should have created as a user of the product.

For another you are working with a notebook here and attempting to clone the system disk in that notebook to an externally attached drive at least I believe that's what you are doing and if so and you had read the documentation on using the clone tool you would know that doing this will produce a disk that will not boot so, if my assumption here is correct you have gone through all of this for nothing.

Beginner

I actually run this process through manual mode, in order to reproduce exactly the same partition size for all systems area. Only the data partition has been increased.
I read post on a forum that indicate it was a way to replace a bootable disk. As it seems to go faster, I will end the current task and let you know if it works. If not, I will need some additional help...

Beginner

At the end, it worked fine. I am sending you this message from my PC booted on my new 6 TB HDD. All is perfectly working. The only thing I had to correct is the windows bar which has lost its tools bar. It took me 2 minutes to put them back.

The entire cloning last about 25 hours with an USB 3.0, which is about 10 times faster than USB 2.0. I do recommand to use a 3.0 interface.

So it means it is possible to upgrade a system disk from a 3 TB to a 6 TB disk whithout loosing anything. All accounts are operationals, mails, files, all OK.

Thank you again for your help.

Beginner
Comments: 5

This is rather an old post, but here I am cloning a 6TB drive using USB3 ... wishing I was using SATA instead.  Anyway, I am doing this because one of my NAS drives is going bad and if I can copy the data from the bad drive to a new drive, I can potentially save my raid array.

I started the 6TB clone (5 partitions) at 1PM on 05/15/2020.  I am using ATI 2020 on a MAC book pro.  It is now 8 PM on 05/16/2020 ... 31 hours and counting.  Based on the info in this post, I am guessing it will take somewhere around 52 hours for the process to complete.  I am using a BlacX Duet which gives me the ability to see the flashing lights of each drive.  I'm seeing lots of disk activity ... hoping it is still chugging along.  I'm attaching the log thus far, you will see some disk errors that the clone process found (that is the part of the drive that is bad), I clicked ignore all on them and as far as I can tell the clone process is continuing.  Let me know if you think otherwise.  Also, if you have a similar cloning experience, let me know how it turned out.  Thanks.

Attachment Size
538365-184713.log 6.35 KB
Legend
Comments: 22370

Frank, welcome to these public User Forums.

Have you checked that it is really necessary to use cloning for this situation?

The purpose of RAID used with NAS storage devices is that it provides for a method of replacing a single failing disk drive without losing any data, where the new drive will allow the NAS controller to rebuild the RAID array using the data already present on the other drives.

I saw this in action recently for a Synology NAS with one drive that was failing.  The rebuild of the RAID array did take quite a long time, i.e. somewhere around 10 hours but the end result was a working storage array with 2 good drives.  The same process can be used when wanting to upgrade the NAS to larger drives.

Beginner

Thanks for the thoughts Steve ... now for the rest of the story.  This is a bit interesting. QNAP 4 drive Bay NAS. 4 WD 6TB Red drives installed.  Drive 2 failed. While waiting for WD to send me a replacement drive, drive 1 went into SMART warning status. Received the new drive and inserted it. Rebuild will not start as Array is not in Ready Mode. It is in Warning mode due to the smart error of drive 1. Array is still functional as Drive 1, 3 and 4 are operational. When managing the array, is says "Disk 2 - Not a Member". I can't add it as I need to have the array in "Ready" mode and it is in warning mode. Unfortunately I can't add the 4th drive back in until I can get the status of drive 1 from warning to ok. Since I only have 3 out of 4 drives functioning in a RAID 5 configuration, if I lose drive 1, I'm done.

Since the array was still active, I backed up everything that was critical.  I have other backups on the array (2 3TB backups) that I don't have a drive large enough to store them on.  Not a huge loss if they go away.  So, I was thinking, if I can clone drive 1 to a new 6TB drive, the smart status will be back to good and the array should go out of warning mode. This will allow me to add back in the 4th drive and rebuild the array.  What really bothers me is that 3 out of 4 WD 6TB Red drives have gone bad over the span of the last 2 months.  All 4 drives are almost 3 years old.

So, here I am now 50 hours into the cloning of drive 1 and it is still running.  In looking at the log and in seeing the lights flashing on the BlacX Rebl, I beieive it is still working.  I'm thinking it really should complete within the next 24 hours, if it does not than perhaps there is an issue with the clone.  I have been trying to calculate how long it would take USB3 to clone a full 6TB drive - if anyone has an idea as to how long it should take, I'm listening.

Beginner

It just occurred to me that you may be wondering why I am asking how long it will take to clone the drive, why not look at the progress bar?  Simple answer.  the progress bar has been in calculation mode since the process started (see attached).

Attachment Size
538453-184745.jpg 1.73 MB
Legend
Comments: 22370

Frank, unfortunately the progress bar with ATI is too often inaccurate as is at best just a guestimate of how long things may take.

I dealt with a failing 1TB HDD from a laptop recently where I needed to make a sector-by-sector type backup image and it took a very long time because of all the retries being done every time it hit another bad block on the drive.  I went to bed and left it running and it had finished the next day.  The good news for that issue was that after restoring the backup to a new drive (of same size), I was then able to get Windows to repair all the bad blocks / sectors then migrate the data to a much smaller SSD.  All told I think it took me between 3 & 4 days to do this for what is a relatively small drive these days!

Beginner

Yea, the clone is still progressing.  I've decided I am going to give it til I get off of work today and then kill it if it is still running. I was debating about trying EaseUS instead, but I am going to give ATI one more try.  I have a desktop PC that has a SATA III interface.  I am going to plug the two 6TB drives into it and see how long the cloning process takes.  I have calculated it should take 3 to 5 hours ... we'll see. It has to be much faster than USB 3.0.

Beginner

I want to share how this turned out for me.  I attempted to clone the drive using both my MAC Book Pro (USB 3) and desktop PC with SATA III using ATI.  In both cases the process failed.  I tried one more cloning package (EaseUS Disk Copy) and the clone worked.  I was able to then replace the failing drive in my QNAP NAS and the NAS accepted it.  (I had my doubts that would work, but it did).